Jeff Remas Guest

Default Duct insulation quiz

You are doing phase insepctions on single family home in climate zone 5 currently under construction. During the rough electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspection you notice that the builder had the HVAC company install 1" duct board for the feed and return of the gas forced air heating system. On the 1" thick Knauf if marked R4.3. The installation is in an unfinished basement that is 75% below grade. When you question the builder about the R value and the fact that it will need to be R8, he replies to you that he will not be installing insulation in the floor framing. Instead he will be placing a pvc coated R10 blanket insulation on the basement walls from top to bottom and R19 against the rim board instead of placing R30 in the underfloor framing.

Is this an acceptacle, code compliant installation to eliminate having to use 2" R8 duct board?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Duct insulation quiz

Don't know, don't care. If doing phase inspections on NC, I have a copy of the stamped plans. If it's not on the plans, it's not currently approved. I tell the client in my report and they can ask the Arch to approve or disapprove. If they request I will research the Pro's & Con's of each scenario for an hourly charge. Furthermore, any such deviation should be verified as allowed by AHJ.
    Only a newbie would get involved in that without getting paid.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Don't know, don't care. If doing phase inspections on NC, I have a copy of the stamped plans. If it's not on the plans,

(underlining is mine)
    Remember that other thread with the recent posts about "Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location, nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that it will conform to the provisions of this code and relevant laws, ordinances, rules and regulations, as determined by the building official."?

Yep, that applies here.

All of that should be on the plans prior to plan review. Once plan review as approved the plans, the *inspectors* job is to verify that the construction meets the plans.

Yes, in the case were the inspector finds a problem with the plans where the plans do not meet code, the inspector not only points it out to the contractor for correction, but should also point it out to the plans examiner when they get back to the office.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Remas Guest

I don't really care about what it is like where any of you are and what you would do. No more cop outs. This is a simple question to help elevate our profession by increasing our knowledge base.

Anyone out there care to actually attempt to answer the question or do the quick witt snips detract from lack of knowledge?

Changes occur all the time and deviation from the plans are dealt with by the AHJ so just answer the question if you know. Otherwise when your client calls you to ask you your opinion you can hide behind "That is up to the AHJ or you can simply give them an answer as to whether or not that is acceptable and be a professional.

Markus, you actuall pissed me off.

Sorry guy, I'm with Markus - what does any of this have to do with HIs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Remas View Post
    I don't really care about what it is like where any of you are and what you would do. No more cop outs. This is a simple question to help elevate our profession by increasing our knowledge base.
    Jeff,

That is a question which should be known my code inspectors.

This is the second, maybe third time, you have posted "code" questions which are not really relevant to what this board is about.

And then you have the gall to say that to Markus?

You really need to get in tune with what this board is for, and with your feelings as to why you feel pissed off because Markus did not want to play your little game.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Remas Guest

Jerry, you surprise me because you more than anyone copy and paste more code verbage on this site than anyone. Throw away your code books and code software if that is how you feel. You certainly don't need it if thats the case.

This was suppose to be a learning experience.

Guess what? Home inspectors do phase inspections privately for home owners all the time. It is a part of the home inspection business. We are suppose to be knowledgeable about not only existing construction but new construction too as we also inspect brand new homes for buyers.

Any other website forum this type of quiz would be welcome and has been but for some reason not here.

I guess it is still easy to detract from a simple question rather than answer because people don't know the answer.

Rather than play with gray area questions that are subjective, I chose a very simple black and white answer question.

Hey Jeff, I appreciate the Quizzes.
    I can't believe the negative responses (or the thin skins), it was obvious to me this was intended as a learning experience.
    Everything we do is based on codes and more varied information makes us all better.
    Without looking up all the relevant codes (since we don't do basements here) I would have to just guess that everything on the insulation depth would be irrelevant due to the thermal barrier being moved to place the furnace inside the thermal boundary.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

The insulated basement would make a difference. My question is that if they have an R6 flex duct which I am sure it is then why would they have an R4.5 return and supply plenum. I question items like this all the time. I don't usually look at the plans until I have at least done the inspection. If I have questions after than I hit the plans. Honestly I don't think it would be a code concern in the situation you are depicting.

My opinion is that would have to be a design/city inspector, plan reviewer question.

I got a call on Friday from a woman in Southlake Texas about having three new Systems put in her home. The rooms are heating unevenly. She states that she did not have this problem with the old systems. These are "bigger more efficient units" I asked the woman if all the ducts were changed out. She said they were. She has already had aHVAC company come out to evaluate. After listening to her very long detailed story I told her to ahve another HVAC compny do a design for three systems in her home and match them up after the design is done to see where the differences were. This was a battle of the HVAC companies and design flaws. One item I asked (the woman was in her attic, "Do the duct run from the units with larger ducts and then go into Ys and split off. She said yes. Every home I have looked at that Y the ducts instead of a junction/plenum distribution box always have uneven air flow to the rooms.

Was that the problem. Don't know. The design for the system based on the entire package of the home would determine all of this.

Yeah yeah. No answer, just more questions. We home and or building inspectors do not always have the answer when it comes to design and ballance of systems.
    We can only use our past experience in inspection and or building and or courses we have taken (which may be extensive) but it does not always allow an answer by looks alone.

Jerry, you surprise me because you more than anyone copy and paste more code verbage on this site than anyone. Throw away your code books and code software if that is how you feel. You certainly don't need it if thats the case.
    Read my reply to your other post on the dishwasher disconnect.

Make it applicable to home inspections.

The information you are asking *SHOULD BE ON THE DRAWINGS*, and the drawings should be available, and if the information is not on the drawings, the local plan review is not doing their job well.

This was suppose to be a learning experience.
    Keep it relevant, then - see above and my other reply.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Duct insulation quiz

It was a pointed quiz guys.
    Take it easy.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    It was a pointed quiz guys.
    Take it easy.
    I was, until he said this. This is where Jeff stepped over the line.

THAT blew his post out of the water and made it useless.

THAT made it as though he was trying to show what he knew and HIs did not. HIs *do not need* to know that.

But until that remark of his, I was letting it all go.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Remas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    Jeff, I haven't seen a single "question" you have posted on this board and others that deals with the scope of a home inspection. Obviously, you are getting these from some book or sample questions from some test. When somebody does offer a reasonable answer that doesn't agree with your "book" answer, you say they are reading into the question. You need to think up your own questions, based on your own experience and answer based on your own experience before I will take you seriously.

This is an actual example that I was directly involved with and not out of a book. You will not find this question in any code book or exam.

Don Burbach Guest

Cmon' guys!

Jeff asked a well-thought out, good question on behalf of his client.

Within two hours, he got told how to run his business by a few other respondents. One of which is purporting to say that Jeff was out of touch with the focus of the board.

I am a frequent reader, post when I have something to say. However, I resent those who are destructive in nature, while they pound their chests telling us how wonderful they are.

Perhaps the inspection business is slow in FL and IL, you guys need to get a life instead of jumping every thread with 2-4 responses.

Jerry, if the Post counter is accurate, 8350 posts in less than two years comes to 13 posts a day! ..... and also cut down on the quotes and pasted code references!

Jeff Remas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    The insulated basement would make a difference. My question is that if they have an R6 flex duct which I am sure it is then why would they have an R4.5 return and supply plenum. I question items like this all the time. I don't usually look at the plans until I have at least done the inspection. If I have questions after than I hit the plans. Honestly I don't think it would be a code concern in the situation you are depicting.

My opinion is that would have to be a design/city inspector, plan reviewer question.

I got a call on Friday from a woman in Southlake Texas about having three new Systems put in her home. The rooms are heating unevenly. She states that she did not have this problem with the old systems. These are "bigger more efficient units" I asked the woman if all the ducts were changed out. She said they were. She has already had aHVAC company come out to evaluate. After listening to her very long detailed story I told her to ahve another HVAC compny do a design for three systems in her home and match them up after the design is done to see where the differences were. This was a battle of the HVAC companies and design flaws. One item I asked (the woman was in her attic, "Do the duct run from the units with larger ducts and then go into Ys and split off. She said yes. Every home I have looked at that Y the ducts instead of a junction/plenum distribution box always have uneven air flow to the rooms.

Was that the problem. Don't know. The design for the system based on the entire package of the home would determine all of this.

Yeah yeah. No answer, just more questions. We home and or building inspectors do not always have the answer when it comes to design and ballance of systems.
    We can only use our past experience in inspection and or building and or courses we have taken (which may be extensive) but it does not always allow an answer by looks alone.

Ted, I never mentioned anything about flex duct in this quiz but maybe you are talking about a specific situation that you were in.

This is the type of thing that happens all the time. Plans are not always available to home inspectors (we all know that) and these situations need to be dealt with on a professional level rather than continually throw liability back to the AHJ which does not help our industry look professional.

I can see by the responses that this is a good question that makes you think.

Jeff Remas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I was, until he said this. This is where Jeff stepped over the line.

THAT blew his post out of the water and made it useless.

THAT made it as though he was trying to show what he knew and HIs did not. HIs *do not need* to know that.

But until that remark of his, I was letting it all go.
    Let me re-phrase that Jerry since I never personally attacked anyone.

"I allowed myself to become pissed off by the poster in question"

There, how is that?

I don't post much on BB's because I am a newbie and have, at meetings ,been exposed to the "holier than thou" attitiudes from inspectors with more experience. In this instance I must make an exception.
    The original title used the word quiz and in the body asked about code compliance. This alone causes readers to be wary of your intentions.
    I took a look at your website and saw your list of certifications, qualifications and such:

Certified Building Code Official (BCO), PA-UCC
    Certified Residential Electrical Inspector Inspector, ICC, PA-UCC
    Certified Residential Building Inspector, ICC, PA-UCC
    Certified Commercial Building Inspector, ICC, PA-UCC
    Certified Commercial Plumbing Inspector, ICC, PA-UCC
    Certified Commercial Mechanical Inspector, ICC, PA-UCC
    Certified Commercial Electrical Inspector, ICC, PA-UCC
    Certified Electrical Plans Examiner, ICC, PA-UCC
    American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) Full Member # 243345
    National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI) CRI #10-15168
    Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Radon Testing # 2268
    Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Pest Control Operator # BU8334
    Pennsylvania Septage Management Association (PSMA), Advanced Septic Inspector # 532
    HUD / FHA 203k Consultant # P1291

Very impressive list. If this was/is a legitimate question from a real phase inspection I would suggest that it be worded as such instead of this post and your responses to it that comes across as "see what I know and you don"t".

Just my newbie opinion.

Jeff Remas Guest

Again, this was a real life situation that once happened to me and I learned from it. However you decide to perceive my intentions is out of my hands.

I think I posted multiple times that this is quiz for learning and elevating our industry.

Why would you post my certs on your post? They are only on my website and I am not posting them here. why would you? That is my business and for my clients to view.

Jeff, dude you have some serious issues. Why you are so pissed off about this is bizarre to me ... but then again it appears that you are a government employee so enough said on that. (That's my personal issue by the way)
    It was not my intention to piss you off or slap the question down.
    I approached your question from a business view, because that's how I have to view situations like that. I do this for a living so my time has to be paid for. As a government employee you get paid whether you actually do anything or not.
    I don't think anyone here is trying to cop out on answering your question. Your question, to me, sounded like you were trying to show off or you had this problem and needed someone to figure it out for you so you didn't have to.
    As HI's we are not responsible for Code in general or specifically. I do a fair amount of Code work and understand the nuances. Requirements can change based on many factors. What is compliant today, may not be tomorrow because the owner changed Occupancy status or construction classification.
    From an HI and business perspective, sure we can get involved in these matters but if you've been around for a while, you know better. It isn't about pushing off responsibility to the AHJ or Arch to cop out, as you've accused. Clients and NC sites will devour your time if you let them. As an HI, if you take on such an issue, it is a very slippery slope. It can eat up 1-4 hours or days of time easily. Who's going to pay for that time? You? It's amazing how often clients assume 'everything is included'.
    As far as your question, it's a trick question.
    The two insulation products have nothing to do with each other. The duct insul is there to minimize heat loss/temp drop from the system. Less R value on the duct means lost efficiency throughout the heating system. How the room is insulated is a separate issue. From your post it seems to be an 'unconditioned space'.
    I am currently doing phase insp on a Condo building. Plans call for 2" insul on trunkline in attic. Builder applied 3/4" and used same rationale as your guy. I called it out a month ago, Owner talked with Arch who replied must be changed or increased.
    You aren't the only one, who see's BS construction. Happy now.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Jeff Remas Guest

Markus, some fyi and I think you missed the point along with someone else. It is much easier to ignor the post if you don't know the answer. I did not ask anyone for business practice decisions, just answer a simple question.

I am a HI, I have been a HI for the last 8 years on a full time basis, I started doing HI's in the late 80's. I know how to run a business and I know what a HI is and is not responsible for.

I also work for a 3rd party agency where I do code enforcement. I do not work for a municipality but I am designated the code enforcement inspector in a few municipalities.

I asked a question as a quiz to help elevate the knowledge base of our industry and so that we can all enjoy a small educational experience for those who choose to participate or give it a try.

I am not the all knowing person and I am not asking a question so that I can fill out an inspection report. I thought I was being helpful.

When you do phase inspections for new construction which thousands of us do across the nation, you are being paid and your client has expectations that you are familiar with construction techniques and requirements. Otherwise, what the hell are they paying you for?

The answer to this basic, simple quiz is just that, very simple and basic:

By properly insulating the walls of the basement instead of the underfloor, you are now making the basement part of the thermal envelope. Ducts are not required to be R-8 when they are located completely inside the thermal envelope.

As long as the thermal envelope is capable of maintaining heat of 50 F during the heating system and 85 F during the cooling season then it is considered conditioned space.

You simply tell your client that this is an acceptable practice providing the tempature requirements can be met during the heating and cooling season, however, the AHJ must approve this installation.

Your client now has more confidence in you rather than the cop of reply of "that is up to the AHJ, it is not what I am here for".

Simple and easy.

Builders like this option because it gives them a cost saving of about 30% compared to insulating the underfloor and the expense of 2" ductboard insulation. In addition, they don't have to worry about a door that is rated and seals for the basement step.

MaMa Mount Guest

Mr. Remas, you come across as a real smart-ass. Why do you find it necessary to ask these questions. No one came on here and asked you to be the Home Inspector instructor for us. You continue to look for a pissing match with anyone who will argue with you.

Jeff posted a simple and provocative question that many HIs should be able to address.

I find the quiz to be fun and interesting, but if you, as a a reader, don't want to participate, then ignore it.

I don't see the reason for pissing all over the thread just because you disagree.

And Jerry Peck, really, you should see the irony of your comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck
    This is the second, maybe third time, you have posted "code" questions which are not really relevant to what this board is about.
    And...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck
    You really need to get in tune with what this board is for, and with your feelings as to why you feel pissed off because Markus did not want to play your little game

You have posted about 37 gazillion pages of code cites on this board, so I find your comments about Jeff's code quote to be funny. You are forever posting code after code after code to support your viewpoint.

Keep the quizes coming, Jeff. Maybe one of the many self-appointed code enforcers will answer one of these questions directly without the BS...

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    And Jerry Peck, really, you should see the irony of your comments:

Dom,

And you should read my other posts regarding this for the why and wherefore.

Cheers!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Dom,

And you should read my other posts regarding this for the why and wherefore.

Cheers!

Still funny, when you consider why you chastised Jeff for his code issues.

Have fun, but remember this isn't just about "you and yours".

Ted Menelly Guest

Anyways I tink I gave a pretty good all around answer for the question. May not have been direct but pretty good anyway. This was more of a general question not a direct question based on the circumstances involved. I would not regard it as much of a concern at all. I don't generally see 2 inch anyway. The basement is more of a fixed temp unlike an attic where you go from extreme cold to extreme heat. Insulating the walls in a none conditioned space is going to be the same general temp if they were not insulated. Now conditioned the insul would have made a big difference.

If the plans did call for something different then that is a different story all together.

"I asked a question as a quiz to help elevate the knowledge base of our industry and so that we can all enjoy a small educational experience for those who choose to participate or give it a try."
    I doubt you realize how big your ego is. Mama has it right, when were you appointed, I missed the memo.
    Your question illustrates one of the great problems in the Trades and HI. There is usually more than one possible answer to a question. How can or should this or that be changed or remedied. You posed the question from one perspective, my answer was from another.
    You can say I was dead wrong, that's OK. Your scenario doesn't really play out around here the way you presented it, so I view it differently. That's OK for me but not really for you.
    I find it key that you got so pissed off that I responded to your post in a different manner than 'what you wanted'. It seems that's what really pissed you off, you didn't get what you wanted. Possibly inadequate answers to your question, so you could present the RIGHT answer?
    I learned many years ago, the problem with having to be RIGHT, is that it doesn't allow any room to be wrong.
    Good luck, Jeff

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Mr. Remas,
    As you stated, you learned from this situation, not knew the answer at the time of the inspection. You then follow up with your answer to this "basic" and "simple" question. I enjoy dialogues that stimulate the thought process and increase my knowledge if it is presented as such. I have not read any of your other "Quiz" posts however I feel that to continue with them, and I am not against that, it might be preferable to re-phrase your title to something else. I listed your qualifications and certifications so others might see how educated you are about the subject you posted a question about.

Everyone can learn something from the posted exchanges. Unique findings, strange wiring/plumbing and such when posted help everyone learn more about this profession. If your intentions are to help educate those of us with less experience please do so in a less antagonistic manner. Your first response to Mr. Miller set the tone for the rest of the responses to you.

Maybe cut down on the caffeine some to help your bloodpressure.

In my opinion HI's should know the code. You can't comment on anything that you know nothing about.

Some of the comments posted on this site, not only this thread but the entire site, get me to thinking.

Some comments about code or different situations trip the old brain and I start the thought process of....I don't remember seeing that in the code....and I start researching.

There was a thread about a dishwasher that turned into something about looking down a chimney. Talk about a 180° turn around! Anyway a comment was made about the chase not being sealed/insulated or something like that. I dug out the code and couldn't even find where the heck that came from.

I meant to ask the question on that thread but it was about dishwashers. Like this thread is about duct insulation and I jumped off on dishwashers and chimney's.

A comment on certifications. Certifications don't mean a thing if you don't know anything! I know ya'll are thinking......HUH? What I mean by that is that if you've got the money you can get every certification offered by ICC. There's a company in Colorado (can't remember the name) that offers classes all over the US with a guarantee pass on all certifications. Friend of mine took a couple of those classes and all they do for three or four days is pound questions and answers into your head. He said it was amazing how close the questions were to what was on the certification test. So if you've got four or five hundred bucks you can get a certification without knowing how the code even works or what it's about. I'm not saying that those who have certifications aren't knowledgeable of the code, it's just that you can get all the certifications you want if you've got the money! You can tell those that are knowledgeable and those that are wanta be's!

Now back on topic. I like code discussion as long as it is a discussion and not a "put down" if someone has a different opinion. I was guilty of this in the past but realized what an ass I was and try to have civilized conversations now!

Last edited by Wayne Carlisle; 01-13-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Weird fonts

Jeff, Thanks for the post. It sharpens the mind and may help others that didn't know. Wish I read this before today so I could of gave a shot at it. I pretty much would of said what Ted did.

Jerry keep on posting code. Learning peoples interpretations is also a great tool.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Under the 2010 Florida building code residential r-6 is the minimum allowed under any cercumstance. Correct me if I'm wrong

Sorry I think is in the new energy conservation book under ducts

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Sorry guy, I'm with Markus - what does any of this have to do with HIs?
    I second this. I would not know exact duct insulation requirements and would have to consult both national and local codes to comment w/ any accuracy. Verbatum code compliance is outside an H.I.'s purview. It's also outside the requirements of progress inspections. If they insulated the duct, your job it to verify that so they can be paid for their work. Building inspectors handle the compliance part.

Those fiberglass insulation sandwiches below grade are a problem in the purported climate and will likely lead to moisture issues if its mechanically fastened to the foundation wall. NOTE- no knowledge of remaining house or exterior foundation install or levels.

The 2009 IRC list the following R values for climate zone 5

Ceiling R-38 Wood frame walls R-20 or R13 batt +R-5 sheathing, Floor R-30,
    Basement wall R10/13 the first R value is continuous insulation and the R-13 is for batts.

The floor of the basement is well below the frost line and must be below 12 below grade for it not to need insulation per N1102.2.8 slab on grade floors.

This application sounds like the duct is located inside of the thermal envelope, and doesn't require any insulation.

I would check the "Approved" building plans, the "Approved" Manual J- heating and cooling load calculations and the "Approved" Manual D for duct design sizes and insulation. "Approved" means approved by the City.

Anyone out there care to actually attempt to answer the question or do the quick witt snips detract from lack of knowledge?

Changes occur all the time and deviation from the plans are dealt with by the AHJ so just answer the question if you know. Otherwise when your client calls you to ask you your opinion you can hide behind "That is up to the AHJ or you can simply give them an answer as to whether or not that is acceptable and be a professional.

A little pissy, aren't we. What about you are there to see if it conforms to the plans don't you understand? If you do only that---you are doing your job. If you feel the Architect or the local folks who reviewed the plans didn't do due diligence, you are perfectly within your rights to make observations to the client.

However, to come here, ask for help, and then get nasty because you don't like the answers..... Well, let me put it this way... if you were on any of the jobs I have worked on----you would be thrown out! The boys would visit you on the job (I have actually seen this happen , they blocked the door while they discussed issues) and invite you to leave. It's not that bad here, so I think an apology is is due right about now.

John Williams Guest

All the back and forth BS was interesting but the answer to the question is that if the ducts are inside the thermal envelope they need not be insulated.

What I find is more often than not contractors/designers are bringing the basement inside the thermal envelope as it is less expensive than insulating the 1st floor, all the ducts and hot water supplies.

Wow,

Lots of wasted words on this post, Jeff, lots of titles, it's too bad manyof the posts here are beginning to look like this one. I read these for info,don't really care about who's the biggest and baddest, Jerry may be unique, buthe has much information and knowledge, take what you want and ignore the rest.
    Interesting statment I ran across here once:
    "Those who can, do, Those who can't, teach, Those who can't teach,inspect."