Ron Bibler Guest

Default For each inspection a fee is payed to the state?

In the State of CA. Every termite inspection completed the inspection company pays an inspection fee of $ 1.50 to the Structural Pest Control Board...

In your State are you paying an inspection fee to the State?

For Home Inspection?
    For Termite Inspection?
    Or other Service fees?

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: For each inspection a fee is payed to the state?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    In the State of CA. Every termite inspection completed the inspection company pays an inspection fee of $ 1.50 to the Structural Pest Control Board...

In your State are you paying an inspection fee to the State?

For Home Inspection?
    For Termite Inspection?
    Or other Service fees?

Best

Ron
    No

No

Yes. Just a sales tax on a pest control servioce or termite treatment.

OK Ron, so how many PC inspections are perfromed a month in CA on average?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    OK Ron, so how many PC inspections are performed a month in CA on average?
    Its a $ 1.50 fee for every inspection and reinspection and work completed form. Some properties may have 2 or 4 reinspection per work order.
    and 1 completion form.

Say 8K to 14K a month?

That would be hard to get the facts on that. I bet I'm not to far off.

Best

Ron

In Louisiana all home inspectors must pay a $5 fee to the state for every home inspection they perform. They submit a list of their inspections along with a check every month to the state home inspector board. This is how the board is funded. Every inspector I know just tacks the fee onto the price of the inspection and calls it the State Home Inspection fee or tax.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    In Louisiana all home inspectors must pay a $5 fee to the state for every home inspection they perform. They submit a list of their inspections along with a check every month to the state home inspector board. This is how the board is funded. Every inspector I know just tacks the fee onto the price of the inspection and calls it the State Home Inspection fee or tax.
    So they kind of like make us there tax colletors...

Dang Scott $ 5.00 big ones per inspection.
    Now thats a chunk out of the HI. pockets. When was that past time they had a rate hike Scott?

Best

Ron

MaMa Mount Guest

Now thats a chunk out of the HI. pockets. When was that past time they had a rate hike Scott?

Best

Ron

Now when did 5 dollars become a chunk of money? Hard to believe I heard that from someone from CA.
    I wonder haow many inspectors in louisiana actually report that money.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Now when did 5 dollars become a chunk of money? Hard to believe I heard that from someone from CA.
    I wonder haow many inspectors in louisiana actually report that money.
    Greedis GOOD

It add up. kind of like going over a bridge every day. $ 5 bucks each way...thank you... thank you... thank you... thank you...

Best

Ron

Best

Ron
    That has been the fee since the start. It is not coming out of the home inspectors pocket, their clients are paying it on top of the normal inspection fee. The inspector just forwards the fee to the state. Just like a business collecting a sales tax and forwarding it to the state.

Really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Their board is self funding and does not depend on state funding to keep going.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jeff Remas Guest

Home Inspection - No

Code Inspection - Yes, per permit, not inspection.

WDI inspection only - No

Any pest control treatment - Yes as a state sales tax.

I too own a pest control company and anything other than a stand alone inspection requires state sales tax of 6%. I don't pay sales tax on chemicals because we are charging the consumer.

Here is my complaint:

The sales tax is added to the total bill, not just for the chemical costs.

Jeff,

Its the same here in Texas on PC.

The customer is charged (taxed) on the labor. The chemical is built into the price of the service.

rick

Oregon - No fee per home or pest inspection (99% of the time they're done together by the HI).

We are regulated by the contractor's board and the fee is $300 for two years, I think.

Overall, I'm okay with it. Their dispute resolution is part of the fee and is actually pretty good..... I've heard

North Carolina no per inspection fee. $150 per year to renew your HI license.

Some towns were charging a business privilege license fee. Local HI association president was paying fees to several towns. He found out that agents and about 10-15 other licensed professions pay a single fee to the state in lieu of paying a fee to every town. Association hired a lobbist and was able to get the law changed to include Home Inspectors. Now we have to pay $50 a year to the state as a privilege license but no longer have to pay individual towns.

Most inspectors were not paying individual towns so most HI's fees just went up. The HI board sent out a reminder to pay the fee when it sent out the bill for the HI license renewal. That IMPLIES that they will be checking to make sure priviledge licenses are paid up.

So we pay $150 to the licensure board and $50 state priviledge license per year.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Now when did 5 dollars become a chunk of money?
    It is ... when you only charge $9.95 per inspection.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just a thought here, pondering a ponderable ...

Most inspectors charge a given stated fee for the "home inspection", thus, there is "one inspection" which would have to pay "one fee".

There are some inspectors who offer a smörgåsbord of "inspections" for given stated fee each, with the total cost depending upon which of those the clients choses to have done, thus, there are "multiple" inspections which would have to pay "multiple fees".

Hmmmm ... wondering if those inspectors actually acknowledge that, or, if they try to say 'No, no, it is *one inspection*, therefore *one fee*.', which, of course, would be indefensible as soon as their pricing structure, advertising, etc., was presented into evidence ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Just a thought here, pondering a ponder able ...

Most inspectors charge a given stated fee for the "home inspection", thus, there is "one inspection" which would have to pay "one fee".

There are some inspectors who offer a smörgåsbord of "inspections" for given stated fee each, with the total cost depending upon which of those the clients choses to have done, thus, there are "multiple" inspections which would have to pay "multiple fees".

Hammy ... wondering if those inspectors actually acknowledge that, or, if they try to say 'No, no, it is *one inspection*, therefore *one fee*.', which, of course, would be indefensible as soon as their pricing structure, advertising, etc., was presented into evidence ...
    Jerry I think each Inspector looks at it like its ( ONE REPORT ) a so they only need to pay one fee. Like with the Sate of CA. Per inspection report with a date and an address. as one inspection report. at one fee.$ 1.50
    you can put any thing you want in that report. Its called an inspection fee but i think for you it should be a report fee... payable per report.

you could include all these
    The roof is $ 50.00 The plumbing is $ 50.00 an IR is $ 200 but all in one report. and for one fee.

you can put any thing you want in that report. Its called an inspection fee but i think for you it should be a report fee... payable per report.

you could include all these
    The roof is $ 50.00 The plumbing is $ 50.00 an IR is $ 200 but all in one report. and for one fee.
    Each would also be its own report.

Otherwise, you contracted to do an inspection and did not issue a report.

I think, if an inspector who does things that way was challenged about the number of inspections/reports by the state, the inspector would lose. Their biggest evidence against them is their business model which offers 'individual inspections', which would required reports for each inspection, and allows the client to pick and chose "how many" inspections they want.

When you go the the bakery and buy twelve donuts, are you buying 'one' dozen or twelve? 'One' dozen IS 'twelve' donuts.

If you have to pay a tax on each donut bought (and you do) do you just pay 'one' tax for the 'one' dozen, or do you pay 'twelve' for the 'twelve' donuts? You are paying for the 'twelve' donuts, with a price break for buying twelve instead of just one. The difference is, with the inspections, you are not paying the 'tax' on the price, but on the number, so, price break or not, there are still 'twelve' inspections in that dozen.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Each would also be its own report.

Otherwise, you contracted to do an inspection and did not issue a report.

I think, if an inspector who does things that way was challenged about the number of inspections/reports by the state, the inspector would lose. Their biggest evidence against them is their business model which offers 'individual inspections', which would required reports for each inspection, and allows the client to pick and chose "how many" inspections they want.

When you go the the bakery and buy twelve donuts, are you buying 'one' dozen or twelve? 'One' dozen IS 'twelve' donuts.

If you have to pay a tax on each donut bought (and you do) do you just pay 'one' tax for the 'one' dozen, or do you pay 'twelve' for the 'twelve' donuts? You are paying for the 'twelve' donuts, with a price break for buying twelve instead of just one. The difference is, with the inspections, you are not paying the 'tax' on the price, but on the number, so, price break or not, there are still 'twelve' inspections in that dozen.
    So we should get a break from the state if we do a limited inspection report and not a full inspection as areas of the home were not inspected.

To the state its one fee as much or as little as isn the report. it is not based on what the buyer paid for the inspection but only per report.

Best

Ron

So we should get a break from the state if we do a limited inspection report and not a full inspection as areas of the home were not inspected.
    Nope.

You are missing what is being said.

If you sell one inspection, for one set price, and then do less, maybe giving them a break on price, you STILL are doing ONE inspection.

However, if you sell them different inspections to make up a what is needed to be a full house inspection, you are selling, AND DOING ... TEN inspections.

To the state its one fee as much or as little as isn the report. it is not based on what the buyer paid for the inspection but only per report.
    True, but in the case I stated THE INSPECTOR is the one stating HOW MANY REPORTS they are doing, one report for each inspection.

Just because they put all those ten reports in one binder does not make it one inspection, not when the inspector sold them as ten inspections, thus ten reports.

If that is your (not "your" as "you" singularly, but as in "you" plurally meaning all HIs) business model to sell 100 different inspections at $5 a piece to make it seem cheap, then you are ... selling, and doing ... 100 DIFFERENT inspections ... and EACH of those inspections requires a DIFFERENT report.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

OK Jerry lets take IR. If you do a standard inspection you are looking for moisture. If they want you to use your IR Camera or a moisture meter to get a better look at moisture you are still looking for moisture just with an IR Camera. not an extra inspection. your still in the sop.

Best

Ron

Here in Az there is an $8.00 fee per WDIIR (Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Report). That fee also applies to initial termite treatments.

Here's a weird one...The Bureau of Technical Registration which regulates the Home Inspection industry reduced the annual renewal from $310 to $65...I didn't ask why...Just pay it and keep inspecting.

As of Jan 1, our fee has increased to $7 per inspection, New construction is excluded from the fee. The state has 2 full time employees at the State Board of Home Inspectors.
    I add the fee to my inspection price but do not have it listed. Just another cost of doing business. Another complaint is the extra paper work I must do each month reporting the address of each inspection.

Jim

James Bohac

Rick Fifield Guest

In Virginia, at least in my county, the license fee is based on a gross reciepts tax. So far the state registration is optional.
    Rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Bohac View Post
    As of Jan 1, our fee has increased to $7 per inspection, New construction is excluded from the fee. The state has 2 full time employees at the State Board of Home Inspectors.
    I add the fee to my inspection price but do not have it listed. Just another cost of doing business. Another complaint is the extra paper work I must do each month reporting the address of each inspection.

Jim
    James. Q. for ya... can you go on your state web site and pull or request at copy of any prior reports completed on any past address. and how long will the state keep a record of the inspection?
    Are your report public knowledge?

Best

Ron