Default We complain when they are NOT there, But??

We seem to always note the lack of the anti tilt brackets on ranges. I found this today..........got to love it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: We complain when they are NOT there, But??

Is that screw going into the cord?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

No it's just going into the bracket. The cord is a distance away from the screw.

I like when the bracket is attached to Pergo flooring and two feet of that cr*p peals up when the range is tipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I like when the bracket is attached to Pergo flooring and two feet of that cr*p peals up when the range is tipped.

That's intentional, it's called 'the spring board effect'.

This is how it works: The kid opens the door to the oven, stands on it, the range tips over, dumping the kid off onto the floor, then the range snaps back up into place ... just before the mother walks in and asks "What's all that racket?" ... the look on the kid's face is "priceless" as he says "I don't know".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My best find on an anti-tip bracket was when the homeowner used 3" screws and screwed them in from the adjoining cabinets and into the oven. You could see the screws poking out about a half inch inside the oven.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

While on the subject of tip devices, have you noticed that some of the installers of dishwashers are drilling directly through the sides of the tubs to secure the DW. They are doing this because they have yet to figure out how to secure them to granite countertops.

rick

Yes, I wrote one up with rusted screws piercing side of dishwasher on a 1 year warrant inspection.

Builders repair fella said he would replace the rusted screws with new un-rusted screws.

Explained that holes in a dishwasher are not a good idea and to replace the dishwasher.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Gary Anglin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's intentional, it's called 'the spring board effect'.

This is how it works: The kid opens the door to the oven, stands on it, the range tips over, dumping the kid off onto the floor, then the range snaps back up into place ... just before the mother walks in and asks "What's all that racket?" ... the look on the kid's face is "priceless" as he says "I don't know".
    This site is much better than watching a comedy on TV.

When did this come into play. I have a 5 year old range. The one similar on the mfgs. web site shows the brackets. Mine didn't come with any - or the delivery guys pitched them. Mental note to add that to my inspection checklist for the habitational accounts I write the insurance on. (can't wait to see the reaction when I lay that bomb on someone who has 140 apartments).

I'm going to have to stay off this site or I'm never going to get this house face lift done to sell the place... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Anglin View Post
    When did this come into play. I have a 5 year old range. The one similar on the mfgs. web site shows the brackets. Mine didn't come with any - or the delivery guys pitched them.
    Get your brand and model number from your range and contact the manufacturer. I would be willing to bet they send you a bracket for free.
    Considering the lawsuits and settlements over the last few years it would be really stupid not to provide them for those who ask.
    This has been around for years, just no one has paid attention. Check out the little diagram with the kid crawling on the open range door on most any free standing range.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Gary Anglin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Get your brand and model number from your range and contact the manufacturer. I would be willing to bet they send you a bracket for free.
    Considering the lawsuits and settlements over the last few years it would be really stupid not to provide them for those who ask.
    This has been around for years, just no one has paid attention. Check out the little diagram with the kid crawling on the open range door on most any free standing range.
    Your right - the diagram is there but Home Depot never installed the brackets or gave them to us. Called Frigidaire. They have a service where they will send out a service technician - at your cost. Or they will send you the parts and template. Did the latter - charged me 17.50. Oh well, one less thing for the HI to comment on if I ever get this place on the market. Thanks for the assist.....

Gary,

This is what I would do if I was you. I would march into the Home Depot where you purchased that range and wait till there is a few people standing around the customer service counter. I would then slap my 17.50 invoice down on the counter and demand a full refund. Explain to them that the "Professional Installation" people that came out to deliver and install your range did not install it as to the manufacture directions and they put your children at possible risk of injury or death because they evidently didn't read the installation directions.

I can just about guarantee you that you'll be getting your money back.

Stand up to them! Make them accountable to the type of people they hire to install for them.

You could be helping save the next child injured or killed when a range tipped over onto them.

Let me know what happens.

Rick Hurst

Wink Re: We complain when they are NOT there, But??

I've been reporting missing range hold down brackets since the manufacturers have been installing the child warning plates on the ranges. I also make a strong recommendation to install them on ranges installed prior to the warning plate installation requirements my the range manufactures. When Realtors complain it's not code, It certainly is! I also believe Sears is subject to a class action on this subject.

Drives me crazy . . . "It's not code" . . . Perhaps not code, but it is common sense to have them installed! Duh.

Question Re: We complain when they are NOT there, But??

Actually, Since I'm not code certified, I NEVER SITE CODE OR EVEN USE THAT FOUR LETTER WORD IN MY REPORTS! I'm probably wrong, but I was always under the impression that manufacturers installation requirements exceed code requirements. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gerhardt View Post
    I was always under the impression that manufacturers installation requirements exceed code requirements. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Incorrect for two reasons:

1) There have been a few instances in which the code exceeded the manufacturer's installation instructions and the code specifically stated 'meet manufacturer's installations instructions *and* the code, whichever is more stringent.

2) The manufacturer's installation instructions *ARE* (here is that four letter word you do no want to use) *CODE* by reference in the code.

Thus, whether you are "code certified" or not, as soon as you reference manufacturer's installation instructions ... ... you *are* referencing *code*.

Thus, being code, they cannot "exceed" code.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Every instruction manual I've seen in the last decade has it buried in the fine print somewhere that thier instructions don't supercede or replace the code.

It kind of annoys me that a lot of AHJ guys just stop reading their code book when it says something must be installed to the manufacturer's specs. The manufactuer's specs say it must still meet code.... good old passing of the buck!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Every instruction manual I've seen in the last decade has it buried in the fine print somewhere that thier instructions don't supercede or replace the code.

It kind of annoys me that a lot of AHJ guys just stop reading their code book when it says something must be installed to the manufacturer's specs. The manufactuer's specs say it must still meet code.... good old passing of the buck!
    Code is the basic minimum. Manufacturers specifications supercede the codes per the codes! You can never go wrong by saying "Per manufacturers stanadards.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This is the way the code addresses it:

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining and bold are mine)\
    - SECTION R102
    - - APPLICABILITY
    - - - R102.1 General. Where, in any specific case, different sections of this code specify different materials, methods of construction or other requirements, the most restrictive shall govern. Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific requirement, the specific requirement shall be applicable. (Jerry's note: Manufacturer's installation instructions can be considered "specific requirements, and therefore shall be applicable, within the confines noted in R102.4 Exception below.)
    - - - R102.2 Other laws.The provisions of this code shall not be deemed to nullify any provisions of local, state or federal law.
    - - - R102.3 Application of references. References to chapter or section numbers, or to provisions not specifically identified by number, shall be construed to refer to such chapter, section or provision of this code.
    - - - R102.4 Referenced codes and standards. The codes and standards referenced in this code shall be considered part of the requirements of this code to the prescribed extent of each such reference. Where differences occur between provisions of this code and referenced codes and standards, the provisions of this code shall apply.
    - - - - Exception: Where enforcement of a code provision would violate the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance, the conditions of the listing and manufacturer’s instructions shall apply.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

daniel nantell Guest

what year did the anti-tip brackets become required, I usually forget to check for the anti tits.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    what year did the anti-tip brackets become required, I usually forget to check for the anti tits.
    I'm not commenting on the last part of your post ... ... but, the year they were required was the year the first lawsuit over a range tipping over was lost - no matter how you look at it, that was "when".

Now, if you do not write them on *any* range which you can tip over, you may find yourself finding out when *you should have been writing them up*, and I doubt you want to go there.

The old cast iron wood stoves? Not going to tip one of those over, but ... if you can ... some type of anti-tip over bracket *is required* for safety.

In cases like this, it does not matter at all when the CPSC had reports of a sufficient number of injuries and deaths to research the issue and declare anti-tip brackets a requirement, what matters is only one thing: can you cause the range to tip over? If no, then no bracket is required (it is probably already installed, either that or the shear weight of the range is sufficient to prevent it from tipping over. If yes, then some type of anti-tip over bracket *IS REQUIRED* - *even if one is already installed*.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Found this on a house Friday. The stove was installed last week by the same company that just lost a lawsuit.

No anti tip
    No gas shut-off
    Old (and hot) 220 line in contact with new appliance.

I asked the nice woman if she wanted me to turn off the breaker in the FPE panel that feeds the 220 line. Of course she said yes.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)