Eric Shuman Guest

Default 2ft wall space receptacle placement

I've got a pretty good handle on the placement requirements for receptacles but this situation is kind of gray for me. The code states that a receptacle is required for any wall space 2ft or more in width(including space measured around corners), unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings. It also states that : Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 6ft fropm a receptacle outlet.

Check out the photo. This is in a bedroom in a new home. The receptacle at the corner is right at six feet from the door opening on the perpendicular wall but there is no receptacle on the wall space that is more than 2ft wide adjacent to the door. Should there be a receptacle there, or would the the wall where the receptacle is installed be counted as part of the same wall space as the wall (without the outlet)perpendicular to it?

Thanks, Eric

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: 2ft wall space receptacle placement

'or would the the wall where the receptacle is installed be counted as part of the same wall space as the wall (without the outlet)perpendicular to it?'

I
    t is just counted a unbroken wallspace and the placement is fine to cover from the edge of the door to the receptacle..

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Jeff Remas Guest

If the receptacle is 6' or less from the door then it is compliant.

Eric Shuman Guest

Thanks guys, that is what I deduced from the drawing in the code book but it looked really odd when I first walked into the room!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Remas View Post
    If the receptacle is 6' or less from the door then it is compliant.
    As Jeff said: Correct as long as it is within 6' of the door.

The reason for the more than 24" wall space is (as an example) there is the bedroom door and a closet door with 25" of wall space. That would need a receptacle outlet.

It that wall space between those two doors was 23", no receptacle outlet would be needed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Remas Guest

I agree

Last edited by Jeff Remas; 01-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.