Default Satellite dish grounding

Is a satellite dish required to be grounded?? What size ground would I use?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Default Re: Satellite dish grounding

Yes it should and with a 10AWG.

rick

Rick--Is this something you look for during you inspections? Around here this is a very common omission during installation..

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

I never comment on satellite installations during inspection. However my own satellite and others I see are not grounded.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    However my own satellite and others I see are not grounded.

Cheers,
    See required Grounding on Installation Instructions page 2.

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    Rick--Is this something you look for during you inspections? Around here this is a very common omission during installation..
    Yes I do, but many HI's do not.

rick

Rick,

Where do you look for it to be grounded to?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You should see it ground at either the grounding electrode, the metal service mast, or the service equipment enclosure. Some used to ground it to a cold water pipe but not many doing it any more.

rick

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I find many that the wire to the grounding rod / electrode are loose or not secured at all.

rick

The cable, sat TV and phone companies around here run green ground wires to the nearest hose bib on older houses (usually, running the wire across as much of the front surface of the house as possible). Newer houses have a grounding point to bond to, usually outside, near the utility entrance on the side of the garage or near the electric meter.

I don't specifically look for grounding of cable/phone but when I run across the clamps I'll tug on them to be sure they're tight and make sure the pipe is eventually bonded through the service.

Rick,

The reason I asked 'where to' is because if you looked for that #10 AWG to go to a ground rod remote from the service area, which would be acceptable, you would then want to look for a properly sized bonding wire from that remote ground rod to the service grounding electrode system, not just using a #10 AWG for that.

Looking for it to go to the grounding electrode system is good, solves the bonding problem and reduces the electrical resistance and impedance from the antenna to the grounding electrode system ... unless, as Matt said "(usually, running the wire across as much of the front surface of the house as possible)", in which case that wire would be run incorrectly and a remote grounding electrode (ground rod) should be installed, which would get back to the reason for my question ...

Running the "grounding conductor" around the house to the "rounding electrode" is improper as the 2008 NEC says: (underlining is mine)
    - ARTICLE 810 Radio and Television Equipment
    - - II. Receiving Equipment — Antenna Systems
    - - - 810.21 Grounding Conductors — Receiving Stations
    - - - - (E) Run in Straight Line. The grounding conductor for an antenna mast or antenna discharge unit shall be run in as straight a line as practicable from the mast or discharge unit to the grounding electrode.

That means that if the antenna is locate 'someplace other than' near the electrical service or where it can be properly grounded with as short a conductor as possible, then a remote grounding electrode should be provided, which, of course, would then need to be bonded back to the grounding electrode system, with a much larger size conductor.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com