Thread: pitted shingles

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default pitted shingles

I am not sure what happened to these shingles. There are small bubbles in some of the shingles and some have bubbled all the way through and exposed the interior of the shingle. Is this a defect or caused by something? the roof is probably 5-7 yrs, in florida, ridge and gable end venting only. This is not present all over the house mainly on the southern exposure

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: pitted shingles

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    I am not sure what happened to these shingles. There are small bubbles in some of the shingles and some have bubbled all the way through and exposed the interior of the shingle. Is this a defect or caused by something? the roof is probably 5-7 yrs, in florida, ridge and gable end venting only. This is not present all over the house mainly on the southern exposure
    Hail

Jerome W. Young Guest

Talking Re: pitted shingles

Ahhhh Nope

Ted Menelly Guest

Ahhhh Nope

Ahhhh yup

Older hail. If it were recent it would not look anything like that. When it first happend you more than likely would barely notice it. After much heat and rain over time the shingles look like that. Email it to a roofer he will tell you the same thing. We live in hail heaven here in Texas. See it all the time.

Jerome W. Young Guest

what about the bubbles that have not yet come through. I can rub the bubbles with a screw driver, the granules come off and a pit appears

MaMa Mount Guest

Maybe some HI has been wearing golf shoes on the roof.

Ted Menelly Guest

what about the bubbles that have not yet come through. I can rub the bubbles with a screw driver, the granules come off and a pit appears
    The granules would not come off unless something damaged them. That roof was not just hit with a little bit of hail it was hammered for a while.

Trust me, you will get the same feed back from about anyone. The water is already getting into the shingles. The bubbles are more than likely trapped moisture and when it got hot outside it bubbles them up. Kinda like bubbles under a flat roof system.

Usually hail.

Two other causes are moisture in the sheathing and underlayment (dry-in) when the shingles were laid. The moisture works it way through the shingles, blistering off the top layer.

Could also be a manufacturers defect, but I'd go with hail or moisture first.

When the hail hits the shingles, it can delaminate it, then the sun heats up the upper layer, cools down, heats it back up, each time making the bubble larger, the end result is the two (hail and moisture) look virtually the same.

Usually, the moisture evaporates through the shingle without causing that.

At least that is from what I've seen and found out about similar looking roofs in the past.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com