Troy McCall Guest

Default New home with mold

I really don’t know where to start with the problems we are having at Bridgefield Condominiums.
    We moved into our first brand new house in Mar 2008. No one has ever lived in this place and that is what we wanted so we would not have to deal with someone else’s problems.
    3 days after we moved in we found mold in our bathroom and a leaking pipe. It was not at the joint were you might find the leak it was in the middle of the pipe. At that point we wanted to get out of the contract and find a different house but my family and lawyer said that we would have to give the company the opportunity to fix the problem. So we did, it took some time for all the fixes but it finally got done. They had to remove the wall, flooring and cabinets from our condo and the unit next door.
    Then the company wanted us to sign a document to release them from any more responsibility for the mold and construction, and $2500 for our inconvenience, which we did not agree with. Again my lawyer and family told us not to sign it and we still have not been compensated for our time and trouble.
    Now 9 months after the first mold and water leak problem we are going through it again, this time in the wall between the living room and kitchen and the two condos on the first and second floor. Again the leak is not at the joints but in the middle of the pipe. We have also heard that other units in the complex are having similar problems but I have not gone out to confirm this yet.
    Today the contractors are suppose to find out what the results of the mold test are and then come and start taking out the wall between the living room and kitchen. The contractors were suppose to be here today to put up a containment tent around the wall but it is 1:00 and I have not seen or heard from them yet.
    We are at our wits end because we should not have to be going through all this in a new home. And I would like to know if they are going to compensate us for our troubles.
    If anyone can help or has a suggestion please let us know.
    Email troymccall@comcast.net

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Troy McCall; 01-22-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: additon
    Crawl Space Creeper

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: New home with mold

Quote Originally Posted by Troy McCall View Post

I really don’t know where to start with the problems we are having at Bridgefield Condominiums.
    We moved into our first brand new house in Mar 2008. No one has ever lived in this place and that is what we wanted so we would not have to deal with someone else’s problems.
    3 days after we moved in we found mold in our bathroom and a leaking pipe. It was not at the joint were you might find the leak it was in the middle of the pipe. At that point we wanted to get out of the contract and find a different house but my family and lawyer said that we would have to give the company the opportunity to fix the problem. So we did, it took some time for all the fixes but it finally got done. They had to remove the wall, flooring and cabinets from our condo and the unit next door.
    Then the company wanted us to sign a document to release them from any more responsibility for the mold and construction, and $2500 for our inconvenience, which we did not agree with. Again my lawyer and family told us not to sign it and we still have not been compensated for our time and trouble.
    Now 9 months after the first mold and water leak problem we are going through it again, this time in the wall between the living room and kitchen and the two condos on the first and second floor. Again the leak is not at the joints but in the middle of the pipe. We have also heard that other units in the complex are having similar problems but I have not gone out to confirm this yet.
    Today the contractors are suppose to find out what the results of the mold test are and then come and start taking out the wall between the living room and kitchen. The contractors were suppose to be here today to put up a containment tent around the wall but it is 1:00 and I have not seen or heard from them yet.
    We are at our wits end because we should not have to be going through all this in a new home. And I would like to know if they are going to compensate us for our troubles.
    If anyone can help or has a suggestion please let us know.
    Email troymccall@comcast.net
    Toxlaw.com - TOXIC TORTS ATTORNEY RESOURCES - toxic tort chatboard and toxic torts mail lists, for attorneys, epidemiologists, toxicologists expert witnesses physicians and others in in the field of toxic torts. Toxic tort litigation litigators torts

MaMa Mount Guest

Troy,

Sit back and reread your posts. Fors Gods sake man, you sound like a whining little child. Its a plumbing leak and a little mold. Get a grip man.

Call a professional plumber instead of relying on the yo's yo's your getting out there and get the job done right.

Why come on a Home inspection board and cry as such? You think we all should send you a check.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Troy,

Sit back and reread your posts. Fors Gods sake man, you sound like a whining little child. Its a plumbing leak and a little mold. Get a grip man.

Call a professional plumber instead of relying on the yo's yo's your getting out there and get the job done right.

Why come on a Home inspection board and cry as such? You think we all should send you a check.
    MMM: You need to hook him up with Ray J.'s medical plan . . .

Troy

I think you should speak to your neighbours and get together as a group and see if everyone is experiencing the same problems, compare notes..You stand a better chance as a group rather than individually.

Troy,

Here were my thoughts when I first read your post earlier today, and again now:

1) Okay, so you have mold, stop the moisture source and clean the area. No need for the space suits, etc.

2) Okay, now you've had TWO leaks, and not at a joint but in the middle of the pipe ... so ... ?

You've left off the information which would allow us to offer the greatest help:

1) What material was used for the plumbing piping? PEX? Copper? Something else?

2) What CAUSED the leak in the middle of the pipes? Screws/nails? Where the pipes too close to the surface of the studs (screws too long)? Pipes not protected from nails properly?

That last thing would be much more worrisome than the mold, if they did it that way (allowed screws/nails to puncture the piping) in two places, they likely did it that way all over ... THAT is what I would be looking for.

Mold schmold, not a big deal. That "Mold is Gold" stuff is passé (finally).

If you are a family member is allergic to the mold, you STILL do not need to have it tested, you just need to get rid of it. But if you are a family member is not allergic to it, testing it is a waste of time and money.

And bringing in the space suits for removal? Way overkill.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com