Thread: Weird Tires

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Weird Tires

CHECK OUT THESE TIRES !

These tires are made in South Carolina, USA.

SEE THROUGH TIRES.
    Radical new tire design by Michelin.
    The next generation of tires.
    They had a pair at the Philadelphia car show.

Yes, those are 'spoke' like connections to the inner part of the tire from the outside tread 'wrap!' The next picture shows how odd it looks in motion....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Weird Tires

Did you notice that those are special wheels?

No air valve stem hole (none is needed).

That the spokes in the wheel are 'Y' shaped with each outer end matching with a 'spoke' in the tire?

I wonder if those will actually work on 'regular' wheels.

That was posted here before, I think by Rick, and someone mentioned that the police 'stop strips' would no work on them, ... not to worry, I've already got a replacement design all thought out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.
    The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these.
    Just think of the impact on existing technology:
    A. no more air valves...
    B. no more air compressors at gas stations...
    C. no more repair kits...
    D. no more flats...
    These are actual pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

I did not see it before

Just thought they were kind of a weird cool. Not sure how those ribs will hold up over time

Wow. The Tire Inflators Union isn't going to like those!

Seriously, though, what happens when they pack up with snow and ice? Maybe those "spokes" are teflon coated, or are somehow self-cleaning?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Edward Loughran Guest

I wonder how well they will get rid of mud or snow from the interior of the tread. I have seen cars with big globs of mud on the rims and at highway speeds there was a large vibration.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Loughran View Post
    I wonder how well they will get rid of mud or snow from the interior of the tread. I have seen cars with big globs of mud on the rims and at highway speeds there was a large vibration.

I think these are the demo set and any ones that would sold would have the side walls in tack. They do look kinda cool open like that. but for safety they need to have the side walls in place.

Best

Ron

I could see these only be on one kind of car.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

They will, I am sure just be marketed for climates conducive to proper function.

You now bunnys and mad mudders can't have them.

Bob White Guest

Not so new.

from Fast Cool Cars - Airless tires - The Tweel - Michelin

"The all new airless tire from Michelin recently came out into the publics eye early this year, 2005. Although it appears to be a pretty good idea and concept, they probably will not be available to the general public soon. I have looked at the idea and think it is cool, although I don't know what to think of the center rim selection that you haven't got a choice with. I'm sure that the police will probably not like the idea because the spike strips will definitely be ineffective with a set of these on your ride. The ride and handling seem to be very effective. "

Quote Originally Posted by Bob White View Post

I'm sure that the police will probably not like the idea because the spike strips will definitely be ineffective with a set of these on your ride.

The ride and handling seem to be very effective. "
    But How Will They LOOK with My 24 inch Spinners ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Wow, what are women going to cut holes in now when they catch you with their best friend?

They go buy spray paint and take it out on their best friend house and car.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post

Wow, what are women going to cut holes in now when they catch you with their best friend?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.