Thread: Sappy Attic?

Don Jackson Guest

Default Sappy Attic?

Took this image in the attic of a 2001 home and not sure what to make of it. Does this dripping "sap" deteriorate the integrity of the beam?

Don

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Sappy Attic?

No its fine. If any thing that sap will stop any fungus infection or termites from doing any damage. Now if the board had any splits or checks in it then you may want to look at it but look fine from what i can see.

Best

Ron

Don Jackson Guest

Thanks Ron!

Any reason for the development of the sap?

Kevin Barre Guest

The heat in the attic!

Technically, the sap was there all along. The heat causes it to liquefy and ooze out.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jackson View Post
    Took this image in the attic of a 2001 home and not sure what to make of it. Does this dripping "sap" deteriorate the integrity of the beam?

Don
    Don: Much of the wood produced for framing lumber has pitch pockets or areas of crystalized resin. Like Kevin said, the attic heat restores this to a liquid form and it flows out. Hopefully not on your hands as you steady your walk through the attic.

Aaron

Don Jackson Guest

As to my first question, does this deteriorate the integrity of the beam? Should I suggest to "monitor" or just say "watch where you put your hands"?

A.D. Miller Guest

As to my first question, does this deteriorate the integrity of the beam? Should I suggest to "monitor" or just say "watch where you put your hands"?
    Don: Under almost all circumstances the member remains structurally sound, though I have seen isolated extreme cases where replacement was needed.

Kevin Barre Guest

Don--
    The wood strength is fine; the sap leaking out doesn't hurt anything. It does make one incredibly sticky mess on your hand--or clothes--if you accidentally contact it.

No

No ( nothing to write about with this in The Home Inspection Report.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.