A.D. Miller Guest

Default Hydro-Massage Equipment Bonding

Does anyone have a good graphic or photo of proper hydro-massage equipment grounding to share?

Thanks,

Aaron

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hydro-Massage Equipment Bonding

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Does anyone have a good graphic or photo of proper hydro-massage equipment grounding to share?

Thanks,

Aaron

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Billy: Thanks!

Jeff Remas Guest

I recently found a situation where the contractor ran a #8 copper bonding wire all the way back to the panel in this situation. It was run right along the 12/2 that was feeding the tub.

Nice mis-interpretation of the code in this example.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Remas View Post
    I recently found a situation where the contractor ran a #8 copper bonding wire all the way back to the panel in this situation. It was run right along the 12/2 that was feeding the tub.

Nice mis-interpretation of the code in this example.
    And a waste of expensive copper.

(underlining is mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Does anyone have a good graphic or photo of proper hydro-massage equipment grounding ...

I think you meant bonding?

From the 2008 NEC. (underlining and bold are mine)
    - 680.74 Bonding.
    - - All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating pump motor that is intended for this purpose. The bonding jumper shall not be required to be connected to a double insulated circulating pump motor. The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding jumper shall be required for equipotential bonding in the area of the hydromassage bathtub and shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Remas Guest

I am sure he did.

Notice I was very subtle in my reply and referred to it as bonding?

Did not want to sound like a jerk correcting him.

A.D. Miller Guest

I am sure he did.

OK you two, at least I got it right in the title of the post, then slipped a gear and grounded my ass . . .

I am sure he did.

You would not sound like a jerk correcting him, we all correct each other all the time, we have to, otherwise, people reading the posts and the replies can get the idea that something is what it is not, and that something is allowed which is not allowed.

It is for the good of all that each of us is as correct as possible, and that when we are incorrect, we are corrected - happens to all of us all the time ... *which, at least on this board, is a GOOD THING*, some boards may frown on it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

lena.yan Guest

The bonding lug shall be tested by UL
    Comply with UL Standard for Safety for Wire Connectors,UL486A-486B.
    right?

thanks~

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lena.yan View Post
    The bonding lug shall be tested by UL
    Comply with UL Standard for Safety for Wire Connectors,UL486A-486B.
    right?

thanks~
    LY:

680.74 Bonding.
    All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating pump motor that is intended for this purpose. The bonding jumper shall not be required to be connected to a double insulated circulating pump motor. The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding jumper shall be required for equipotential bonding in the area of the hydromassage bathtub and shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode.
    The bonding requirement for hydromassage bathtubs requires interconnection between metal piping systems and metal parts associated with the water recirculation system only at the hydromassage bathtub location. As is the case with swimming pool bonding, this section does not require the installation of a bonding conductor from the hydromassage bathtub pump motor to the service equipment or panelboard from which the hydromassage bathtub branch circuit originates even if there is no metal piping or metal parts in the vicinity of the hydromassage bathtub.
    The bonding required by 680.74 is intended to create a local equipotential plane, and the equipment grounding conductor of the branch circuit supplying the hydromassage tub provides the path for ground fault current. As is the case with other bonding requirements in Article 680, the 8 AWG copper bonding conductor is required to be a solid conductor. Solid conductors are required for Article 680 equipotential bonding applications in order to provide an added level of resistance to physical damage.