Thread: Anti Tip Device

Gary Smith Guest

Default Anti Tip Device

I always check a free standing range for the anti tip device. I worked two new home inspections last week and both builders confessed to throwing "those things" away? Humm?

The buyers were happy I caught it and wondered what else had been tossed...

And home builders here in Mississippi wonder why home owners are demanding more and more new homes to be inspected before they close.

G

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Mike Huppi Guest

Default Re: Anti Tip Device

I check every home and about 1/2 dont have them installed

Even when the builder thinks they have thrown them away, I still check the drawers for the manuals. Most of the time I find the brackets, still in their packets and taped to the operating manuals. Regardless, they are required.

When you get the look from builders, just ignore it and keep writing. or you could reprint the following and give them a copy.

Stove-Tipping Raises Concerns - washingtonpost.com#

Installers everywhere should read the one below. They often tend to think the Manufacturer will take the brunt of cost in suits. Not so. Electrolux walked from this one. The person's responsible for the installation and the current owners of the property did not. I could easily see this as "former owners of the house and Inspector who did not write it up."

McCarter&English | Welcome

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huppi View Post
    I check every home and about 1/2 dont have them installed
    I get less than 1% attached. I think I may have had 3 or 4 last year, and none this year properly installed.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

The builders have to be trained. I would say that 90% of the new homes I inspect the anti-tip device is not installed. I call it out every single time. The bracket is every single installation packet. The instructions to install them are on the first or second page. I have discovered that one of the reasons that they are not installed is that the appliances are seldom installed by the builder. A large part of the time they are installed by an appliance company. The ultimate responsibility falls on the builder.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Must be a regional thing...more than 99% of new construction homes in this area have them installed.

Dom.

They are required. I call it out in all my reports on all free standing ranges. I purchased a new range and when delivered the delivery people took it out of the box in the back of the truck and wheeled it in and left. When I called the appliance store, they said it does not come with the range. I told them it does and they had to make a special trip back.

Tom Rollins

Gary:

This is an excellent topic. I get about 50 plus hours of CE every year and have yet to come across a program dedicated to kitchen/laundry appliances. To be honest, I have never given much thought to tipping stoves - though I do for dishwashers. You have forever modified my kitchen inspections.

How and where does the bracket mount?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Charles Sessums Guest

Unhappy Re: Anti Tip Device

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Gary:

This is an excellent topic. I get about 50 plus hours of CE every year and have yet to come across a program dedicated to kitchen/laundry appliances. To be honest, I have never given much thought to tipping stoves - though I do for dishwashers. You have forever modified my kitchen inspections.

How and where does the bracket mount?

Most are floor/wall mount. I prefer the floor only mount. Less give. Imagine a L shaped piece of metal about 3" wide and 6" on each leg. The leg on the floor is slotted to accept a leveling foot for the appliance. It holds it to the floor.

Does anyone check the mounts for over the range micro's? I find an occasional one not seated in the back plate or upper mount holes blown out.

Hi Charlie,

I take it that these brackets are usually not going to be seen and that pressing down on the oven door will be a good indicator of proper anchoring - yes?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Bob Kelly Guest

Eric, I would not press down on the oven door, as it would be too easy to break the door, or at least break the door brackets.

I grab the top of the range, at the rear, and try to tip it forward. You will know right away whether or not the anti tip device has been installed or not.

Bob

We all know the importance of checking the Anti-tip feature, however has anyone ever experience damage to the gas line or power cord while doing so?

Richard Rushing Guest

Noooooo. Never tip that sucker that far. If the back (against the wall) tips farther than 6" inches, it is not tied down. DO NOT TRY AND TIP ANY FURTHER, NOR WOULD YOU WANT TO USE THE DOOR.

Usually, if the tip bracket is there, the unit will not tip but MAYBE 1" forward.

Rich

Charles Sessums Guest

2 new construction today. The first had an oven ( always check and make sure they got anchored) and a cook top. Photo from the second. This is the short L version.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Charles Sessums Guest

And.........do the tip test with the door open. It only takes a little pressure at the top. I talk about Jr. using it as a ladder or mom slipping as she puts the thanksgiving turkey in. They get the picture.

I recommend they be installed on stuff older than 8 yrs old also. That's when I believe they started to appear.

And Howdy Eric!

The manufacturer will frquently have it taped to the manual and tied to one of the racks.

Attached Files Attached Files
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

I met a young man on an inspection several months ago that showed me the scars from being scaled from tipping a stove over onto himself as a child.

Thats all it took for me to know the importance of them and don't think twice about commenting on them.

On most of the newer ranges, there is a little graphic and warning label on the inside of the door itself.

"Thread drift"
    I also find a bunch of upper cabinets in kitchens that are not scured at the bottoms. I look for the screws AND also give it a little tug when I am opening doors.
    JF

Wow! I'm now checking ranges for tipping and have yet to find one that's anchored. It's like coming home from a good CE class and wondering how many times you missed some condition.

And the list of things to look for just grows and grows and inspection times sneak higher and higher.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Hello All,

I found some info surfing the net.

Check out http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Stov...ease040507.pdf

Also, two articles I came across:

The Washington Post recently reported as follows in an article of April 6, 2007 concerning stove-tipping concerns: "Stephanie Moran was cooking chicken on the stove in her apartment while her two children, Jarod Moran, 2, and Jamie Hamblin, 1, played in the kitchen. The pot was out of their reach on the back burner when Jarod pulled down the oven door and stood on it. The stove began to tip over. The pot of boiling water and chicken flew into the air, landing on Jamie and scalding the lower right side of his body...The accident is one of about 84 injuries and 33 deaths caused by tipping stoves from 1980 to 2006 and documented by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Consumer groups called on retailers and manufacturers yesterday to take steps to prevent such accidents. 'Our concern is that the public is totally uninformed about these dangers. We think that everyone who has bought these should be notified' said Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen

Jaward v. Hoffman Place Apartments, Pa., Phila. County C.C.P., Mar. Term 2000, No. 1388, Sept. 4, 2001.
    Abraham Jaward, 5, stepped onto an open gas stove door in his family's Philadelphia apartment. The stove tipped over, and a pot of scalding water poured onto the boy's lower body, causing second- and third-degree burns. When his mother removed his pants to douse him with cold water, his skin fell onto her hands.
    Abraham had to undergo almost two years of physical rehabilitation to regain the full use of his legs. His mother, a nurse's assistant, changed his wound dressings daily, which was physically painful to the boy and caused psychological distress to both mother and child. His past medical expenses totaled $55,000. There was no claim of fiture medical expenses, although Abraham may require psychological counseling in the future. Abraham's sister witnessed the accident and suffered emotional distress.
    Abraham and his family retained ATLA members Martin K. Brigham and Eunice Trevor, as well as Daniel Bencivenga, all of Philadelphia. Abraham was also represented by a guardian ad litem, ATLA member Stewart L. Cohen, also of Philadelphia. Plaintiffs sued the manufacturer, alleging that the stove door operated as a fulcrum, allowing the appliance to tip forward when even slight weight was placed on the door.

Corey Friedman

Hey Corey, glad you stopped by!

Hope you stop by many more times!

Great information on tipping over ... it is unfortunate, but those "accidents" (preventable) still continue to happen.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I also find a bunch of upper cabinets in kitchens that are not scured at the bottoms. I look for the screws AND also give it a little tug when I am opening doors.
    JF
    I tug on the bottom of all wall cabinets. I tend to get a bit complacent and sometimes I am unpleasantly surprised by wall cabinets with screws only at the top. Once I ran across a small wall cabinet that was hung like a picture (by a wire hanging on a hook).

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

How many spice containers is it that cancels out the need for an anti-tip device?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Richard Rushing Guest

I may tak'em down, but I ainna-goinna putt'em back...

RR

H.L. ( Buddy ) Ligon 111 Guest

Default Re: Anti Tip Device- This is getting Old !

I am a Texas State Licensed Professional Inspector and Every-time I Inspect a home with a "new" or relatively new Free Standing Stove / Oven Appliance that Home Depot, Sears and Lowes has installed, The "Anti-Tip" Device is Not Installed as per All Manufactures Requirements.

The Manufactures have Stamped on the brackets package either a "Must Be Installed" or "Mandatory Installation". It is also the Requirement of "The Texas Administration " Code / T.R.E.C. that it Must Be Installed.

***This is a Safety Device and as such they are opening themselves to a Law Suit if / when an accident occurs !

This has been observed by me for 8 years now that I have been Inspecting, I do Not understand how they are Allowed to throw this device in a Drawer ???

In my experience, it's moving in the right direction, albeit slowly at times. 5 years ago I'd say less than 1/2 were installed. On new construction in my area it probably close to 90% now. Homeowner installs, of course, are lower across the board.

H.L. ( Buddy ) Ligon 111 Guest

I agree Matt, The new homes around here almost, if not always have them installed, it is these remodles by the Home Centers installers that I have a 90% + Not Installed rate with...

Lack of an anti-tip bracket is listed in my report under Hazardous Defects as boiler plate. I have to delete it as a defect so rarely that I just put it in my template as boilerplate a couple years ago.
    I honestly can't say I'm seeing them installed more lately. No change in frequency from what I'm seeing.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Anti-tip brackets, "not just for children". Don't remember where I found the pic.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

We see more than 9 out of 10 omitted, oftentimes in the drawer for new construction condos and single family homes. It takes what, 2-3 minutes if you struggle through the installation? Add it to the list.

And just in case it can get worse...it does: Officials: Girl, 4, killed after TV falls on her in University Park - chicagotribune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Anti-tip brackets, "not just for children". Don't remember where I found the pic.
    I always told clients it was to protect children. Then about a year ago I did an inspection for client who was involved in the GE class action law suit that spun this problem to the top. He was a GE employee in quality control. The case involved an old woman who had used the oven to reach the cabinets above the microwave, and had done it many times. On the one occasion she stepped on the open door rather than the hinge and was hurt in the fall. I don't know if she was scalded or not.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Sessums View Post
    I recommend they be installed on stuff older than 8 yrs old also. That's when I believe they started to appear.
    GE and most of the other companies have included the Anti-Tip devises since 1988. I didn't think it went back that far...but there ya' go.

Is it that the stove tipped over or is it that someone tipped the stove over ?

Did the TV fall onto the girl or did the girl pull the TV onto herself ?

An accident is unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance.
    Standing on a stove door causing the stove to tip is far form unforeseen.

When will we, as a society, start to take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.

I have always approached the anti-device as a necessity from the newer construction of stoves. With newer construction resulting in less weight acting as ballast the door with food on it will cause it to tilt. The anti-tip device counteracts lowered weight in design of the stove. Trying to anticipate the stupidity of people and not have them accountable is where so much has gone wrong.

Sorry for a rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post

When will we, as a society, start to take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.

I have always approached the anti-device as a necessity from the newer construction of stoves. With newer construction resulting in less weight acting as ballast the door with food on it will cause it to tilt. The anti-tip device counteracts lowered weight in design of the stove. Trying to anticipate the stupidity of people and not have them accountable is where so much has gone wrong.

Sorry for a rant.
    GE has seen the light, or there bean counters have shown them the "Dark Side". GE will send a new anti-tip bracket for free if you give them the model and s/n.
    Here is my blurb;
    The range does not have an anti-tip bracket installed. This is a safety hazard especially to small children. Recommend installing anti-tip bracket. Note: Anti tip brackets, for G.E. brand ranges, can be obtained by calling 1-800-626-8774.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post

Sorry for a rant.
    Come on Gary.... responsibility for actions is and outdated concept.... outdated by at least a generation. Why should I waste my precious time teaching my children when I can just sue someone.... wait, make that everyone, when something goes wrong?

Given that anti-tip device now required as part of installation and we all should check if installed. But

"...This design flaw has particularly affected children and the elderly. ..."(http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Stov...ease040507.pdf).

If not designing for standing on oven door, is now a design flaw. Does logic then infer that the door should be designed to be stood upon ? Then, should ranges be rated like ladders for weight ? A new meaning for good - better - best?

Should the oven door auto lock untill the interior temperature can not cause a burn ?
    Or, door should have a child proof lock ?

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 01-17-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add comma

Archie J. Morey Guest

Cool Re: Anti Tip Device

Northern Illinois (Winnebago County and many of the entities) require the anti-tip bracket on all new homes. They have been checking this for more than ten years or so. I am a former new home expeditor (twenty plus years), now private home inspector ( since 2009). The anti-tip bracket has been with every new range,regardless of manufacturer, delivered to each house. A range is a requirement to receive the Certificate of Occupancy. Between 1500 to 2000 new homes before the crash. The anti-tip bracket should be something to check for on each inspection.

This is another hazard that all should keep in mind

As home inspectors there are only a few times we might actually prevent serious injury or death, this is one of them.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

This is a report from Consumer Product Commission

http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/109000/range07.pdf

Like most reports of this type you really wounder exactly what was done to cause the stove to tip over.

If there was a report like this on table saws it would be really informative.
    http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/108980/statsaws.pdf

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 12-09-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    GE has seen the light, or there bean counters have shown them the "Dark Side". GE will send a new anti-tip bracket for free if you give them the model and s/n.
    Here is my blurb;
    The range does not have an anti-tip bracket installed. This is a safety hazard especially to small children. Recommend installing anti-tip bracket. Note: Anti tip brackets, for G.E. brand ranges, can be obtained by calling 1-800-626-8774.
    I just called the number to verify that G.E. is still sending the bracket for free if the mod. and serial number are provided.

I put my foot at the bottom of the range and pull the back to keep it from sliding out and moving too far. I explain the purpose of the bracket. It looks like about 30% have them installed.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I put my foot at the bottom of the range and pull the back to keep it from sliding out and moving too far. I explain the purpose of the bracket. It looks like about 30% have them installed.
    I only pull on the back of the range as a last resort. Sometimes the control panel is not very well secured and can bend forward or the counter top edge band can catch if it is a little loose. I open or remove the drawer at the bottom of the range and look for the bracket. Doing this also reveals loose 240 volt receptacles one in ten inspections. (It has also revealed; many cat toys, matchbox cars, knives and forks, lots of french fries, and one electronic scale for measuring dope.)

There are two things that I notice in a home where New Appliances have been installed by one of the "Two Major Home improvement outlets" one of them has a trademark color of Blue, The other likes Orange.....And both offer Delivery and "Professional Installation" of the appliances they sell...Normally costing the customer about $85.

What Have I noticed, besides their (Orange or Blue) delivery paperwork on the kitchen counter?
    The New Dishwasher was installed without a High -Loop or anti-backflow device.....And The Anti-Tip Device is normally still can nicely be found in the storage drawer a the bottom of the Range along with The "Installation Instructions" still in the "unopened Plastic Wrapper".

I actually have a caned statement I put in my report for when I see this for the Dishwasher and Range and it includes the reason for this/these Defects simply "Because Men will Not Read Instructions..or even open them" (I really do word it that way in my report)

why is there an anti-tip for a range and for a dishwasher but not for the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lubrani View Post
    why is there an anti-tip for a range and for a dishwasher but not for the fridge?
    Because the range and dishwasher doors open out and down, whereas refrigerator doors open out to the side.

Placing heavy items on range and dishwasher doors act as levers, tipping the appliances toward the door as the door tips towards the floor.

Not only can the appliances tip over onto people, hot food, water, etc, can spill onto the people.

The typical "heavy items" are heavy dishes (such as a large turkey) placed on the door and small children stepping up onto the door (even adults have been known to use the door as a step, with disastrous results.

One could hang on an open refrigerator door, but actually tipping it forward would be unlikely, and the open door may even act as a stop, and it is unlikely that anything hot would spill and burn someone.

If one did manage to tip a refrigerator over onto themselves, it would likely be a refrigerator with a top mounted compressor ... and those are typically so large and heavy that getting one to tip over may be a challenge.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

However, for the counter-depth (and consequently top-heavy) high-end refrigerators, such as SubZero, Kitchen Aid, etc. can fall out of a cabinet if someone hangs on the door. I believe you will find that they are required to be secured to the cabinet.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    However, for the counter-depth (and consequently top-heavy) high-end refrigerators, such as SubZero, Kitchen Aid, etc. can fall out of a cabinet if someone hangs on the door. I believe you will find that they are required to be secured to the cabinet.
    I didn't think of those because I've always heard those referred to as refrigerated drawers, not 'refrigerators'.

Excellent point on those.

Like cabinet mounted ovens - supposed to be secured to the cabinet.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

great suggestion on what to do with the drawers and cabinets

great suggestion on what to do with the drawers and cabinets