Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Home inspections & Code Inspections

No es bueno para la mierda!

Member Benefits1

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    No es bueno para la mierda!
    Gentlemen: I did not push "2", do not even have a "2" button on my device and therefore do not wish to see Spanish on my monitor. The last time I checked English was still the official language in this country, so please refrain.

If you wish to communicate in this other inferior tongue, please refer to one of these sites:

1. http://www.inspectmytacos.com

2. http://www.nobuenocasa.net

3. http://www.speakyeeengleesh.org

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Gentlemen: I did not push "2", do not even have a "2" button on my device and therefore do not wish to see Spanish on my monitor. The last time I checked English was still the official language in this country, so please refrain.

If you wish to communicate in this other inferior tongue, please refer to one of these sites:

1. http://www.inspectmytacos.com

2. http://www.nobuenocasa.net

3. http://www.speakyeeengleesh.org

Thanks Aaron

I am glad to hear I am not the only one that believes when one lives in a particular country, one speaks that countries language.

Some folks have a hard time hearing that. My Italian side grandparents came over on the boat and the first thing they wanted to do was learn to speak English to fit into American society. They did not come here expecting the rest of the country to learn their language. Phone messages when calling some where. store signs, highway signs, directions for everything you buy. It has gotten out of control.

Yes sir. I'm sorry.

I was wondering how the other guys new what the heck to say and knew what it meant so I googled it and found out that google lets you type in phrases and it will translate to any language you want. Pretty cool though!

I was really throwing out the Mescan talk though!!

I agree with Aaron and Ted.

When my great-great-great grandparents come here (how many great-greats is beyond me) two things happened (depending on which part of the family I am referring to).

A) They ended up chasing the locals into the woods and took the country over from them.

B) They learned to speak English like what was being spoken here in not the German they knew from all their lives. I do not recall my grandparents or great grandparents (the ones from Germany) ever speaking German.

To come here and build to a code written in English, using plans written in English, and not be able to read, write, or speak English - how on earth can we expect anything other than what we get?

Also, when immigrants become citizens they have attested and demonstrated that they can read, write and speak English. Being as only citizens can vote, why then do we have ballots in multiple languages?

On the other side ... if *I* were to go to Brazil (as an example) to build, it would be *MY responsibility* to learn Portuguese.

Wayne,

That's how I knew what Roland said in his post, I posted it in several of the translators (all came up with similar translations, which were a bit weird, but they did let me know what he was saying).

My Spanish is "no habla español" ... and I don't even say that correctly.

I would like to learn some Spanish, but I have not even gotten English down yet, and my brain does not work on other languages - some people can do it and it is easy, others (like me) simply cannot.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Warner Guest

Native Americans discovered Columbus.
    When the "English" arrived here they spoke english and settled here with their language. They did not change to the indigenous Native languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    Native Americans discovered Columbus.
    When the "English" arrived here they spoke english and settled here with their language. They did not change to the indigenous Native languages.
    No, when the "English" arrived and settled here they did not change the Native languages, they simply pushed the Natives back into the woods, further and further and then onto reservations, making English the "new" language.

Think about it, that is exactly what is happening now to English in this country.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Even here in the wilderness--we are getting over run by Spanish speaking individuals. You couldn't survive a midnight trip to Walmart if you didn't know spanish. All the labels change from English to Spanish at 10pm.. And then back to English at 6am..

PS--I am English speaking and was only trying to figure out which language Jerry understood the best...

Last edited by Roland Miller; 01-29-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

A.D. Miller Guest

Think about it, that is exactly what is happening now to English in this country
    JP: Only if we allow it to be so.

Nice graphics on your webpage Aaron!

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Fred Warner Guest

Where do you suppose the new english-speaking reservation will be established forcing us 2nd wave indigenous people (1st wave being the Native Americans) to live?

Aaron,

I will never forget one old Cuban cabinet maker who made all the cabinets for one of the project I worked on back in the late 1980s. I wish all were like him as he felt the same why I do about this issue.

One day he was up delivering cabinets with his men and and was talking with me, he was having difficulty saying what he wanted to say, so I apologized for not being able to speak Spanish ... he replied "No, no, *it is my job to learn English*, not your job to learn Spanish." After some more of the conversation he said (pointing to his workers) "If only they would do the same, but the young do not listen. They do not care." (not precise quotes as the quotes indicate, but what he said was to that effect)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    Nice graphics on your webpage Aaron!
    Roland: Thanks, but know that those are generic stock photo people on there. I look a bit more bedraggled . . .

Where do you suppose the new English-speaking reservation will be established forcing us 2nd wave indigenous people (1st wave being the Native Americans) to live?
    Fred: Well, it certainly won't be in Texas, California, or Florida - they're already too far gone. California will be the center of the Mexicanese movement. Texas will be the Mexicowboy reservation, and Florida the Afro-Cuban Bubba center of culture.

They never have spoken English in the Northeast, so the Mexicans are not interested in going there. Neither am I. The rest of the country's just too boring for most of them - at least so far . . . not many beheadings or juntas to keep their pre-Columbian minds engaged.

Where do you suppose the new english-speaking reservation will be established forcing us 2nd wave indigenous people (1st wave being the Native Americans) to live?
    I believe we will still be allowed to reside where we are, however, if you've ever been in Miami and in Little Havana, or Little Haiti, or ... You will see ALL signs are in Spanish, and everyone talks Spanish, and when a person like me walks in ... it is like a person from anther country walking in, I might as well have been from China and speaking Chinese - there were no English sub-titles either.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I believe we will still be allowed to reside where we are, however, if you've ever been in Miami and in Little Havana, or Little Haiti, or ... You will see ALL signs are in Spanish, and everyone talks Spanish, and when a person like me walks in ... it is like a person from anther country walking in, I might as well have been from China and speaking Chinese - there were no English sub-titles either.
    JP: Damned good food there though . . .

Ted Menelly Guest

I remember years ago in South Miami I went into a store when I still smoked a little. I asked for what ever I was smoking and the woman behind the counter acted like she had no clue what I was saying. Her badge on her chest said manager. I went to a home depot and had to reach next to my seat when, with no exaggeration 30 Hispanic ran at my truck. All looking to get some work. The same thing happened in Georgia at a home depot. In Miami I could have used some brickies. When I asked in English if any of them were familiar or had experience they all just stared at me. I will guarantee you that not one of them were a citizen or had a green card for that matter.

As far as the natives. I am 25 % native. Cherokee. We don't want to get into between North, Central and South America the possible millions that were killed. starved or died from our illnesses or killed in the name of God etc. etc.

Look at my Italian ancestry. Gees. How long did they kill, mame, starve enslave. My goodness. Pretty scary.

When I moved to Florida 20 some odd years ago I had African American construction workers telling me, the Italian imigrant, Irish imigrant, Cherokee Indian guy, only one grandparent, back that I owed them something because I was white. Crazy world we live in.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 01-29-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    only one grandparent,

You lost me there ... how is that possible?

I, and most , have four grandparents.

All are dead, mind you, but I have four grandparents, two from Germany (both immigrated when they were young kids with their parents), the other two had been here generations, one going back to Samuel Clemens and the other going back to the Mayflower. That and $5 might get you a cup of coffee at the Starbucks place, if any are still open.

No body owes me anything because I was here 'second' (Ted was here 'first', don't owe him anything either ). Ted, sorry about everything that went on that neither of us were involved in 'back then'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

You lost me there ... how is that possible?

I, and most , have four grandparents.

All are dead, mind you, but I have four grandparents, two from Germany (both immigrated when they were young kids with their parents), the other two had been here generations, one going back to Samuel Clemens and the other going back to the Mayflower. That and $5 might get you a cup of coffee at the Starbucks place, if any are still open.

No body owes me anything because I was here 'second' (Ted was here 'first', don't owe him anything either ). Ted, sorry about everything that went on that neither of us were involved in 'back then'.
    My garndmother and grandfather on my mothers side. GF Irish imigrant. GM Cherokee Indian.

GF and GM on my fathers side were from Italy. Only one granparent back before they were Imigrants or American Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Reminds me of the last words of Captain Edward John Smith of HMS Titanic; “F___ the icebergs boys, full steam ahead!”

Jerry,

I've never mentioned it before, but I actually am related to a Charles John Hurst who was known as a "fireman" on the Titanic which was another name for someone who shoveled the coal. And yes, he went down with the ship.

rick

JORY LANNES Guest

A home inspector is required to do what the State standards of practice requires or is promulgated by the state that the inspection takes place.

Deviate from the SOP, Say hello the legal system in that state.

Jory Lannes
    Lannes Group Inspections
    Evanston, Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by JORY LANNES View Post
    A home inspector is required to do what the State standards of practice requires or is promulgated by the state that the inspection takes place.

Deviate from the SOP, Say hello the legal system in that state.

Jory Lannes
    Lannes Group Inspections
    Evanston, Illinois
    You're right..... BUT,

As we pretty much all agree, most SOPs are minimal at best. Do you really only test one outlet per room and operate one window per room in a vacant house?

Going beyond and outside the SOPs is okay but communication and documenting what you did is key.

My contract states that I can't find failed thermal pane windows but when I see one I'll mention it.... but then remind them in the report that I don't promise to find them all or that more might exist that cannot be discovered until the weather conditions change.

I do the same for mold, rodents and many other things. Basically, I go beyond the standards to keep up with the standard of care and to point out things that I think I should (rodents again.... not required but how can I not mention piles of crap all over?) - But, in the end the SOPs and your contract are what an attorney will have in 40 point font on a poster board in front of you in a courtroom.

JORY LANNES Guest

Matt
    I totally agree with your answer. I check every reachable outlet, every reachable window and door etc. This goes farther than my state SOP. I never mention that four letter word "CODE" in my reports.

The question however was re guarding "should home inspectors document code violations". My answer simply is what is the SOP for the state the report is being produced in.

If one continues your observations "CODE" is really the minimum basic building requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY LANNES View Post
    Matt
    I totally agree with your answer. I check every reachable outlet, every reachable window and door etc. This goes farther than my state SOP. I never mention that four letter word "CODE" in my reports.

The question however was re guarding "should home inspectors document code violations". My answer simply is what is the SOP for the state the report is being produced in.

If one continues your observations "CODE" is really the minimum basic building requirements.
    Oops.... I forgot what section I was even typing in. I think I need to seek help... I'm an Inspection News addict

A.D. Miller Guest

Those idealists among you who actually believe that adhering to the minimum SOP or even exceeding the SOP will make you immune to repercussions from your licensing agency or somehow prevent litigation are living in a dream world. These are fine practices, but they are not magic elixirs.

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Funny thing this morning while eating breakfast at the local country cafe.
    Two older guys having coffee, one notices my truck outside with "home Inspections" on the back window.
    One says to the other:
    "Your're selling yer old house that you built 20 years ago, you might find the home inspector and ask some questions about it passing an inspection. you built it to code didn't you?"
    "Naw, I started building in the summer and finished in September. It never got too "code" (cold).

I almost chocked on my biscuit!

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Ooops
    "choked" although the biscuit could be used as a wheel chock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12