Default Thermostat location?

How will this location, within 3' of the thermostat, in relation to the return air affect the equipment function?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Brian E Kelly Guest

Default Re: Thermostat location?

The thermostat will get a false reading as the air moves across the stat to the return air grill.

Scott Dana Guest

Maybe I misunderstood an HVAC technician who is very reputable in this area, but I swear he said to me it was good to have the thermostat "near" one of the return vents. In my house that is the case with both my HVAC systems.

Bob Mayer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    How will this location, within 3' of the thermostat, in relation to the return air affect the equipment function?
    It should make the temperature reading more representative of the actual air temperature in the house. The thermostat is not sitting in a dead-air pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian E Kelly View Post
    The thermostat will get a false reading as the air moves across the stat to the return air grill.
    Why? There is a misconception that airflow cools objects. This is true if either the object is warmer than the air or if it is moist. If the object is dry, airflow tends to bring the object to air temperature, which, for a thermostat, is a good thing. (Of course, if the air is moving really fast, the object will be heated, think of reentry from outer space.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dana View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood an HVAC technician who is very reputable in this area, but I swear he said to me it was good to have the thermostat "near" one of the return vents. In my house that is the case with both my HVAC systems.
    I would agree.

- BOB

Ditto, Bob.

You don't want the SUPPLY air to blow across the stat, but a stat mounted on the wall near a return grill is a good thing.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Bob Mayer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Ditto, Bob.

You don't want the SUPPLY air to blow across the stat, but a stat mounted on the wall near a return grill is a good thing.
    Right. The temperature of the air going into the return register is (likely) representative of the temperature of the air in the house. The temperature of the air coming out of a supply register is more representative of .. well.. the temperature of the heat exchanger. (Of course there is some temperature drop in the supply ducts.)

- BOB

Brian E Kelly Guest

All I can say is when I took the Manual D duct school we were told not to place the thermostat near either the sully and or return air registers as it would possiable give it a false reading. I have never put a stat near either.

Not a thing wrong with that location, in fact it is a good location. As for a false reading, it is reading the air temp. The air at the return will be more representative of the air in the home, as the air is being pulled to the area from around the home.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I may be nit picking, but I'd be more concrned about the location of the return that close to the access hatch. How was it sealed? Did it have much insulation?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Returns have almost no effect on room air patterns so I would say it is fine.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

James Duffin Guest

Some HVAC systems have a return air sensor located in the return air duct. This is used to control a chilled or hot water valve. This type of sysetm works fine so a room stat located near a a ruturn should work as well.

Joseph Rago Guest

Smile Re: Thermostat location?

Perfectly OK in or around the return air location. This location will give a general indication of "mixed air temperature" within the home if air is properly returned from other spaces. (Undercuts, transfer grilles etc.)

So, should the location of the return right next to the attic hatch be of concern?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix