MaMa Mount Guest

Default Composition on chimney

Somebody please tell me this is wrong. Surely you can't have shingle material on a chimney as such. I see no flashing around the base of the chimney. Also is that turbine, and furnace flue too close to one another.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

MaMa Mount Guest

Default Re: Composition on chimney

Just wanted to give a shout out for all the responses. You gentlemen have been a great help.

Well, I'm not the best person to answer your question, but I don't really see why shingles would never be allowed on any kind of chimney.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Jeff Remas Guest

A photo from far away does not help with a chimney flashing inspection. You need to be on the roof and at the chimney in order to make a professional determination of the flashing situation.

I woulnd't have a problem with the shingles being installed in that manner, unless the manufacturer does. Usually, all that needs to be done is adding beads of sealant near the self sealing strips upon installation.

Of course, we can't see the flashing from that picture.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Somebody please tell me this is wrong. Surely you can't have shingle material on a chimney as such. I see no flashing around the base of the chimney. Also is that turbine, and furnace flue too close to one another.
    MMM: All manufactuerers allow this using steep slope fastening methods.

Smile terminology

MaMa, this is a "chase" for a factory built fireplace, right? Therefore, these shingles would be used as 'siding'. As long as you maintained clearances inside the chase, there is no fire safety issue. Now, if you had a masonry fireplace where someone furred it out with wood strips then sided over it, that would be a clearance problem.

Closer look would be needed to evaluate the flashing.

That screen over the factory built termination is not listed for use with that fireplace and should be removed.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Also is that turbine, and furnace flue too close to one another.
    No.
    IRC 2006 M 1804.2.6 ( 2 ) The vent terminal shall be located not less than 4 feet ( 1219 mm ) below, 4 feet ( 1219mm) horizontally from, or 1 foot ( 305mm )above any door, window or gravity air inlet into a dwelling.

* a turbine is an exhaust or Should be.
    Now Let's talk About that Unlisted ( home made ) Spark Arrestor.

* Bob types Faster & Is also Way Smarter !

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 01-31-2009 at 05:22 PM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.