Default Independant insurance adjusters

Does anyone know if there are independant insurance adjusters? A friend of mine is in need of one in Indiana.

Their home was flooded last August and they are out of the home still fighting with their insurance carrier, fema,and the city. The thought process is if they can get a independant adjuster it might help their cause.

Any names or direction to look would be appreciated.

Steve Reilly
    owl Inspection Services

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Scott Gilligan Guest

Default Re: Independant insurance adjusters

They are called public adjusters. Do a google search for some in the area you need service.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reilly View Post
    Does anyone know if there are independant insurance adjusters? A friend of mine is in need of one in Indiana.

Their home was flooded last August and they are out of the home still fighting with their insurance carrier, fema,and the city. The thought process is if they can get a independant adjuster it might help their cause.

Any names or direction to look would be appreciated.

Steve Reilly
    owl Inspection Services
    I have done this type of work but under the title of a litigation consultant or expert witness for attorneys. FEMA has noting to do with the claim if they have insurance. Their fight will be with the insurance company.

Sounds like they need an attorney and not a public adjuster.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Terry Howell Guest

try again.
    having been through this experience personally, the advice to anyone with a claim, no matter how insignificant it seems or what your insurance company tells you is:
    1. Call an independent insurance adjuster.
    2. Call the fire dept, or appropriate response authority.
    3. Call your insurance company.
    your independent adjuster will guide you through the process and let you know when it is time to bring in the attorneys (have one ready to go) because ultimately you will probably need one.
    the economy has hit insurance companies hard and they will string you along as much as possible to avoid doing the right thing for as long as possible.
    with me they only came to the table to settle after they realized in federal court that i was paying my own attorney bills and they were not working on any percentage. they settled within days and paid everything we asked for plus all the fees we had incurred. it took two years.
    google "bad faith insurance" and independent insurance adjusters, you should find plenty. some work on contingency (e.g. percentage of claim) since it has been this long they may only work on fixed fee.
    terry

Brian Salm Guest

Clarification:

An independent adjuster works for the insurance company and is an advocate of the same. Typically they have no authority so settle claims without the approval of the insurance company. Most insurance companies hire independents when the do not have field staff in the area where their policy holder lives or has a claim. Some insurance companies use independents exclusively as they have no field staff.

A public adjuster represents the insured and is an advocate of the same. Typically works on a contingency (percentage of the total claim) or a fixed fee. Contingency is more prevalent and sometimes results in claim inflation so as to not impact the insured's recovery under the policy. Unfortunately, when a public adjuster gets involved, it often bars the policy holder from communicating directly with the insurance company. This can make things cumbersome and drawn out for the policy holder.

For what it is worth. I am no expert.

Hope things work out for your friend and their loss.

Brian