Thread: JD

Jaret Dutour Guest

Default JD

Hello from British Columbia, Canada
    I am new to Inspection News and would like to say hello. As you might know British Columbia has taken the first step to regulating the home inspection industry here in Canada. I would like to know how the transition regarding licensing policies went in the US states that have licensing policies.
    JD

Crawl Space Creeper

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: JD

Can't help you with your request about the licensed issue as i live in California we are not licensed.

But welcome to the board. I'm sure some one can help with the info you are looking for.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 02-02-2009 at 09:01 AM.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jaret Dutour View Post
    Hello from British Columbia, Canada
    I am new to Inspection News and would like to say hello. As you might know British Columbia has taken the first step to regulating the home inspection industry here in Canada. I would like to know how the transition regarding licensing policies went in the US states that have licensing policies.
    JD
    JD: Welcome.

As for how the regulation goes down here, not so well. Like anything that the government gets involved in it becomes mired down in multiple layers of "red tape" or, not to put too fine a point on it, bull-shi.t (sorry for the hinky spelling, this forum is run by a Baptist minister who feels that limiting free speech is somehow a part of his god-given right to stomp on the constitutional rights of others).

Most governmental "commissions" are comprised of folks who cannot get decent jobs in the private sector. So then you have a board of lame-ass lackeys, C-grade attorneys and a smattering of low income assistants who are given the charge to oversee a profession which they do not understand.

In order to lend the smallest bit of credence to their organization, while simultaneously giving the inspectors a false sense of playing a part in their own regulation, the commission will form an inspector's committee. In order to be appointed to the committee by this group of misfits you must be a true boot-licking, ass-kissing, sociopathic ladder-climber.

So, to recap, once enacted, inspector licensing puts you under the control of 3rd rate attorneys and sycophantic inspectors whose job it is to bury you under reams of legislative red tape while simultaneously exposing you to the maximum amount of liability. They will provide you with an SOP written by idiots and then change it every so often so that it becomes more and more inapplicable to what occurs in the real world.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg. Sound like fun?

Welcome to our world!

JD,
    Welcome. I too entered the profession after the licensing became law. I can imagine some will find it a bone of contention during the changeover. The professional should have little issue. The less committed might fight it. I think the profession needs it.

Rick Sabatino
    Sabatino Consulting, Inc.
    Oak Park, IL

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sabatino View Post
    JD,
    Welcome. I too entered the profession after the licensing became law. I can imagine some will find it a bone of contention during the changeover. The professional should have little issue. The less committed might fight it. I think the profession needs it.
    Rick: As an inspector in the first location on earth to license home inspectors I might have just a bit more in-depth knowledge of the subject. After working in the profession for 12 years I consider myself a professional and have the credentials to justify that statement.

While your statement that legislation of our industry is somehow desirable does have some merit, it cannot dismiss the facts in evidence: the system is broken as it relates to consumer protection.

As for commitment, what would you know of that? You write as if you are of the the typically tractable ovine inspector species that bends over for whatever the government has to dish out.

If so, then shame on you. If not, then you must live in some Shangri-La locale where everything is coming up roses - watch out for those thorns.

Jim Weyenberg Guest

JD,
    Welcome to the forum and the profession. I can tell you it's a blast, I just love it. To have this much fun and get paid for it is nice.
    As far as licensing goes up here in WI. it was rather painless for most and amounted to passing the national exam and paying the dues. $75 or something like that. It came about in 2000 and what that did was immediately eliminate those less qualified technically and those that were to afraid to take the test in the first place. Win Win if you ask me. But a good thing that the licensing brought about was the adoption of the SOP's for the state, pretty much limiting the expectations of a (standard home inspection) to the client and spelling out what was to be checked and what was not and under what circumstances. Then also what was to be reported on and what was not. Also limitations were set. So it affords us a certain level of protection against any litigation happy clients or agents.
    I think it's great, In the words of Jesse Ventura "Keeps Out the Riff Raff". That's how it is up here, can't say how it works in other states.
    Again welcome and let the fun begin!

Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc.
    NE. WI. franchise

Bob Spermo Guest

Jaret,

I have been a licensed inspector for ten years and I have a few different views than A.D. It is certainly true that the agency (TREC) is run by politicians and many people who may not what they are doing. I just recently applied for an inspector position on the TREC Board. Since I do not know any of them I doubt that me as a true independent will be selected!
    However, for all its shortcomings and it has many TREC has at least set some educational standards for the inspector license. Do I think you should get a license without being an apprentice? No but TREC rules allow it. I think TREC at least forces you to get some initial education, some contiuning education (granted this can be pretty useless stuff) and now carry E & O insurance. While TREC has not ensured all inspectors are highly qualified I think it has kept some very unqualified people from the profession.
    Overall it has not adversely affected me as an inspector.

A.D. Miller Guest

It is certainly true that the agency (TREC) is run by politicians and many people who may not what they are doing.
    Bob: Agreed.

I just recently applied for an inspector position on the TREC Board.
    Bob: Why? Are you a misguided idealist, a masochist, or both? If you think you can change the way that the TREC does things you might want to contact those who tried in earnest, like Cahill and Strahan.

Since I do not know any of them I doubt that me as a true independent will be selected!
    Bob: If you are not a TAREI member you will not be appointed. You must follow their designated path to this lackluster position.

for all its shortcomings and it has many TREC has at least set some educational standards for the inspector license.
    Bob: Maybe. But what are the costs? Having our profession regulated by the very folks who stand to benefit from dumbed down inspectors is appalling.

Overall it has not adversely affected me as an inspector.
    Bob: I think you err here. Look more closely at the subject. You are missing the point. It has not only adversely affected you as an inspector through the deliberate dilution of the profession and the recently added cost and liability due to the requirement of E&O insurance, but it also gives the consumers a false sense of security through the belief that the TREC's SOP is actually integrous.

But hey Bob, if you like the TREC, then you probably also like the TRCC, and you even believe that George W. Bush was and still is a stand-up guy and your friend, so I won't bother you with the facts. They will just get in your way.

Aaron

Bob Spermo Guest

A.D.

Why do feel so compelled to issue personal attacks when people have a different opinion than you? A simple I disgaree with you Bob because ..... would be more beneficial than bringing up George Bush. You appear to have a lot of knowledge in the inspection arena but this site would be better served if you used that knowledge to educate not to ridicule. I have read many of your other posts where you have gotten into personal attacks when people disagree with you. Lighten up and use your knowledge for good!!!

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    A.D.

Why do feel so compelled to issue personal attacks when people have a different opinion than you? A simple I disgaree with you Bob because ..... would be more beneficial than bringing up George Bush. You appear to have a lot of knowledge in the inspection arena but this site would be better served if you used that knowledge to educate not to ridicule. I have read many of your other posts where you have gotten into personal attacks when people disagree with you. Lighten up and use your knowledge for good!!!
    Something about kids when the mothers drop then on the floor a few to many times...

Dang it!

Bob don't go down that road Aaron is just trying to get some help with his problems.

Best

Ron

Bob Spermo Guest

Ron,

I don't intend to! Thanks!

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    A.D.

Bob: You took the first shot through insinuation. Don't start what you're not willing to carry through. And, whatever you do, don't start whining once you've started it.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Something about kids when the mothers drop then on the floor a few to many times...

Dang it!

Bob don't go down that road Aaron is just trying to get some help with his problems.

Best

Ron
    Ron: Be nice, please.