Default Valley to Gutter

Hello,

This is a great board and this is my first post here. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

I Intend to write this up on my report. It appears the gutter installer simply cut the center of the valley as it extended past the roof and curled the two sides back. I suppose it may act as a little bit of a dam to slow the water down before hitting the gutter as there is a sizable plane of roof above this point. But I'm concerned it will actually allow water to run back up under the valley flashing. Thanks!

-Leo Leidlein

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Valley to Gutter

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Leidlein View Post
    Hello,

This is a great board and this is my first post here. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

I Intend to write this up on my report. It appears the gutter installer simply cut the center of the valley as it extended past the roof and curled the two sides back. I suppose it may act as a little bit of a dam to slow the water down before hitting the gutter as there is a sizable plane of roof above this point. But I'm concerned it will actually allow water to run back up under the valley flashing. Thanks!

-Leo Leidlein
    Leo: That roofer was obviously taking better drugs than we are.

Do you have a close up photo of that?

Zooming in causes the photo to get a bit fuzzy, but what I see is *COMPLETELY WRONG*.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Haa...yeah. My cholesterol medication is pretty mundane stuff.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Leidlein View Post
    Haa...yeah. My cholesterol medication is pretty mundane stuff.
    Leo: Certainly is compared to the crack this roofer was on.

Hey Jerry,

Sorry, I don't have a closer photo. But yes it's pretty nasty work right?

Leo

Greg Forsee Guest

Hey Leo,
    I've seen this before on steeper pitches or if the gutters are hung low...probably not even done by the original roofer; its done to function as a down and dirty curb to prevent rainwater overshooting the gutter [looks like a curb may actually be installed now]. The reason they make curbs to install on the FRONT of the gutter is to prevent the problem you have noted. Yes, it should be trimmed, and keep the curb!

I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks like the underlayment for the valley was not trimmed. Instead, the excess was just folded back.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Forsee View Post
    Hey Leo,
    I've seen this before on steeper pitches or if the gutters are hung low...probably not even done by the original roofer; its done to function as a down and dirty curb to prevent rainwater overshooting the gutter [looks like a curb may actually be installed now]. The reason they make curbs to install on the FRONT of the gutter is to prevent the problem you have noted. Yes, it should be trimmed, and keep the curb!
    Are you referring to the roof being cut back or the diverter (see attached)?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

And it looks like the back of the gutter is open. What a joke.