MaMa Mount Guest

Default Is this a Heat Pump

Is it possible to tell from this model number on this Carrier unit if it is a heat pump unit or not.

Model #faanf048

And if it is a heat pump, does the thermostat have to have the setting present for emergency heat? It appeared the thermostats had been replaced, yet I did not see the emergency heat mode setting that I normally see.

Confused.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Is this a Heat Pump

Product Documentation - Carrier
    Try the carrier site. I tried your numbers in their search engine but came up dry, maybe you can adjust the numbers and find what you are looking for.

I would guess that is not a heat pump but just straight electric heat, but that is just a guess. I never tried to keep track of model numbers.
    Did you look down inside the outdoor unit to see if there was a reversing valve?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Also if all else fails you. Turn the heat on and see if the "heat Pump" comes on and if there is heat.

Yeah, I know you should be able to see all the signs of whether it is a heat pump or not. But the last one will tell yeah Fo sho.

MaMa Mount Guest

The outside condensing unit did run when the thermostat was in the heat mode. I'm concerned why the thermostat had no "emergency heat" mode as normally seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    The outside condensing unit did run when the thermostat was in the heat mode. I'm concerned why the thermostat had no "emergency heat" mode as normally seen.
    You Got any Pictures ?
    preferably with the cover off.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    If the outside unit did not run while in heat mode, then it is likely not a heat pump, and, if not a heat pump, there never is an "emergency" heat setting, just a "heat" setting.

Only heat pumps have an "emergency" heat setting to make up for when it is too cold outside for the heat pump and you need some extra heat, set to emergency heat and the back up electric heat strips come on.

Added with edit: Oops. I read it wrong, I read it as "outside condensing unit did *not* run ... " - just forget about my post ...

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-03-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Oops, I read it wrong ... I read it as "did ... *not* ... run"
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hey Mama,

If the outside condensing unit was operable when you had the thermostat in the heat mode, then it is a heat pump. You mentioned that the thermostats had been replaced. What gave you that idea. Was the thermostats new in appearance?

rick

Edward Loughran Guest

In order to keep the heat pump efficient, some of the newer thermostats do not have the emergency setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Only heat pumps have an "emergency" heat setting to make up for when it is too cold outside for the heat pump and you need some extra heat, set to emergency heat and the back up electric heat strips come on.

Added with edit: Oops. I read it wrong, I read it as "outside condensing unit did *not* run ... " - just forget about my post ...
    Jerry since you went off at this angle, the emergency heat setting is a means of going straight to second stage heat (electric heat strips) and by-passing the first stage (compressor). The reason you may want to do this is if there is a problem with the outdoor unit such as frozen coils, or bad compressor. When you switch to "emergency heat" it prevents trying to use the compressor. It's broken or doesn't create heat anyway, so you shut it off until it is repaired.

The light on the thermostat (usually Blue) is the axillary heat indicator. It comes on whenever the second stage heat is called for (electric strips). Happens when there is a call for more than a 3 degree rise in temp, or in defrost, or emergency heat.

Mike,

I have seen some of the digital ones too, but they have had the emergency mode present on them.

Guess its up the manufacture.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyett View Post
    I have run across several new digital heat pump thermostats with a touch screen LCD display that had no physical Emergency Heat switch. That function was controlled from the digital display only.
    Ours is a digital thermostat, but not touch screen, and all the settings are set by pressing the "Mode" button, and, in sequence, each successive mode will show as being ready for operation. To get to Em Heat you simply push the Mode button until the thermostat sequences through to it. Similar to this one (ours is an older model with all the modes vertically above one another, making it harder to read): http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline...er/ccnac01.pdf (and, yes, it is as hard to read as you think it is, so I used a tape labeler I have to add larger labels alongside the display)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyett View Post
    Notice there is no Emergency Heat switch which could lead one to not realize the system was even a heat pump.

Heck, my thermostat does not even have a Fan On/Off/Auto switch, or a Heat/Off/Cool switch. That did not make me think it did not have those controls, I just started playing with it and noticed it went through those things in sequence. Mine is (top to bottom):
    Off
    Heat
    Cool
    Auto
    Em Heat
    Fan
    On
    Auto

If we have it set at Heat and want to turn it Off, we have to sequence down through everything else before getting back up to Off. Same if we have it on Cool and now want Heat, got to go through everything else first.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Chip O'Brian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Jerry since you went off at this angle, the emergency heat setting is a means of going straight to second stage heat (electric heat strips) and by-passing the first stage (compressor). The reason you may want to do this is if there is a problem with the outdoor unit such as frozen coils, or bad compressor. When you switch to "emergency heat" it prevents trying to use the compressor. It's broken or doesn't create heat anyway, so you shut it off until it is repaired.

The light on the thermostat (usually Blue) is the axillary heat indicator. It comes on whenever the second stage heat is called for (electric strips). Happens when there is a call for more than a 3 degree rise in temp, or in defrost, or emergency heat.
    Hold the bus Heat pumps are three stage to my understanding correct me if I am wrong. 1st stage heat pump mode only recycles heat condenser "on". 2nd stage (AUX)heat pump mode plus some heat strip and condensers unit on, 3rd stage( EM HEAT) heat strip only no condenser unit on. Temp vary at these stages 90ish 1st, 105 2nd, 3rd seen as high 110-130 This wil bring to a new thread.

Last edited by Chip O'Brian; 02-04-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Add

I've seen a few recent digital thermostats without the EmHeat setting readily visible. Had to hold down a couple of different buttons to get it to go to EmHeat.

White Rodgers thermostat if I remember correctly.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Quote Originally Posted by Chip O'Brian View Post
    Hold the bus Heat pumps are three stage to my understanding correct me if I am wrong. 1st stage heat pump mode only recycles heat condenser "on". 2nd stage (AUX)heat pump mode plus some heat strip and condensers unit on, 3rd stage( EM HEAT) heat strip only no condenser unit on. Temp vary at these stages 90ish 1st, 105 2nd, 3rd seen as high 110-130 This wil bring to a new thread.
    Two stages, heat pump and back-up source typically but you can get any combination of either stage or both.
    Now you could have a two stage heat pump with gas and electric backup... but the usual configuration is a simple two stage stat with a lock-out switch to keep the pump from operating when manually selected.
    Basically you are saying the same thing, just the terminology is off. Three possible MODES, but only two stages of heat from the stat.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas