Default Counter overhand

A few years back, someone had some good info about counter top overhang. Today was extended about 27.5". My client and I both thought that was a little much. Anyone have some info that will back us up for some bracing on the counter top?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Counter overhand

Jim looking at the photo. it look like that top has been added on top of the original top. looks about 10 or 12 " more...

I had a home a few months back that had an over extended top. I just gave it my thinking on it. Just a bit much.

Best

Ron

Jim,

I had that information before but I can't seem to locate it at this time. I'll keep looking. Just looking at that picture, it does not appear to be properly supported and extends to far from the cabinet.

rick

Jim,

As I recall the MIA (Marble Institute of America) stated unbraced overhang for 2 cm (0.787") natural stone was 6" and 9" for 3 cm (1.18") natural stone when a straight overhang (no corner which would provide some additional support). Our granite company said 9" for our 3 cm stone (unbraced) or up to 12" with the end braced and the other end wraparound the end of the cabinet. Thus we have a 12" overhang braced on the end which meets a wall.

Natural stone is not flexible, and that granite countertop laid over that wood shelf (plywood presumably) will simply cause the plywood to deflect, which could very likely lead to cracking of the stone. Additionally, that overhangs the wood support by quite a bit more.

I loaned my MIA book to another inspector about 3 years ago and he still has it, so I cannot look it up, but I am sure that is close to the numbers.

Also, is that a continuous countertop or a raised countertop above a back splash? From the photo, it looks flat and continuous, which is good, otherwise it would be a big unbalanced weight ready to tall.

I would address it as being 'not right' and let a stone company say otherwise, and back up what they say with documentation from the MIA.

How long has that been installed like that?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks like it is partially supported but the edge is subject to cracking. Hope there is not a light fixture above the counter that some fool decides to stand on the countertop one day.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It's been up for a little over one year. Not really a good setup, especially for the money it probably cost them. It steps up from the cook top area to the overhang at the end. The plywood probably adds a little bit of support, but not very much in my opinion. I've got the wording ready to go. I was just hoping to throw some hard numbers in, but it doesn't matter much. Nice place, all in all.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    It steps up from the cook top area to the overhang at the end.
    That's not good. That heavy stone could easily tip that thing over. At least if it was all one level the 'L' would help serve as a counter-weight to keep it from tipping over.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Attached is a pdf from MIA. Depends on the thickness fo the slab.

Attached Files Attached Files
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Richard Moore Guest

I lightened the photo a bit.

So, the only thing holding it up are the screws fastening the plywood to the top of the "pony wall"! I'm surprised it hasn't failed already. I don't think this really has much to do with any "allowable" overhang. The simple unbalanced physics of this suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    The simple unbalanced physics of this suck.
    Sure does exceed that 1/3 cantilever limitation, doesn't it?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jim R.

You must have started something with the countertops.

But I think the one I found today will beat yours out as the mother of all f-up's countertop installations.

Solid granite countertop that could be rocked back and forth with a fingertip. I smell a law suit a coming on this one.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Thanks Jim R.

You must have started something with the countertops.

But I think the one I found today will beat yours out as the mother of all f-up's countertop installations.

Solid granite countertop that could be rocked back and forth with a fingertip. I smell a law suit a coming on this one.

Rick
    Rick,
    What's the Problem ?

Each leg probably has 3 or 4 of these All The Through the Shoe Mold .

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Billy,

Your probably right. I guess I'm just being nick-picky and just trying to be a deal killer.

rick