Default Anyone familar with this type of breaker box

Inspected a house yesterday built in the 50s that had a Federal 100 amp box with a large disconnect located over it and a subpanel next to the disconnect. Can someone help with this panel and set up. The panel was not labeled and I am not sure if it was undersized. The house was 3000 sq ft.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Anyone familar with this type of breaker box

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Inspected a house yesterday built in the 50s that had a Federal 100 amp box with a large disconnect located over it and a subpanel next to the disconnect. Can someone help with this panel and set up. The panel was not labeled and I am not sure if it was undersized. The house was 3000 sq ft.
    The two words Stab-Loc are all you need to see. Those breakers have known problems. Do a Google search on Stab-Loc and you will find a wealth of information. Plenty has been written about them on this site alone.

When I find a panel like that I do not even remove the cover, for a couple of reasons. 1. you can't get the dead front off without tripping the breakers. 2. The breakers have a tendency to pop off the buss bars. I tell my client that the panel should be replaced.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 02-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks Scott!

I knew there was a problem with them but could not remember what it was. I will do some research.

Jim Murphy

I agree with Scott. In addition those FPE breakers tend to hold even in an overload situation - not safe.
    Wow that is one big 100 amp. disconnect.
    Were you able to determine what the sub-panel was supplying?

Steve Bowman
    Top To Bottom Home and Property Inspections

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Check this out for some interesting info.
    Federal Pacific Electric FPE Stab-Lok Class Action Settlement - THIS IS A LEGAL NOTICE AND IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT