Mike Schmidt Guest

Default Re: 240 volts 2 pole verses 3 pole

First, welcome to THE inspectors board.

Only 'single-phase' and 'three-phase' ... which is a big deal.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Schmidt Guest

Hi Thanks for your reply. I have 2 pieces of equipment that are 240 volts single phase. One calls for 2 pole wiring and the other calls for 3 pole wiring.

Can you tell me what the differance is , and can I use the one receptial for both pieces of equipment? By that I mean can I use the same type plug and disconect one plug and put the other plug in , and use the same receptial? Sorry not sure I spelled recieptial correctly.

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schmidt View Post
    Hi Thanks for your reply. I have 2 pieces of equipment that are 240 volts single phase. One calls for 2 pole wiring and the other calls for 3 pole wiring.

Can you tell me what the differance is , and can I use the one receptial for both pieces of equipment? By that I mean can I use the same type plug and disconect one plug and put the other plug in , and use the same receptial? Sorry not sure I spelled recieptial correctly.
    240 volts 2-pole is a 3 prong (3-wire) configuration with two ungrounded conductors and an equipment grounding conductor. 120/240 volts 3-pole is a configuration having two ungrounded conductors, a grounded conductor (neutral) and an equipment grounding conductor (4-wire).

More than likely you will NOT be able to use the same receptacle for the different pieces of equipment. They are configured differently specifically to make interconnection impossible for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    240 volts 2-pole is a 3 prong (3-wire) configuration with two ungrounded conductors and an equipment grounding conductor. 120/240 volts 3-pole is a configuration having two ungrounded conductors, a grounded conductor (neutral) and an equipment grounding conductor (4-wire).
    Fred,

Question: Were did you get "prong" from "pole"? Curious.

240 volts 3-pole indicates to me that he is referring to a breaker, which would be 3-phase.

If he is indeed asking about plugs and receptacles, you are correct.

Maybe some clarification will be forthcoming from Mike.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Fred,

Question: Were did you get "prong" from "pole"? Curious.
    Mike quotes: Hi Thanks for your reply. I have 2 pieces of equipment that are 240 volts single phase. One calls for 2 pole wiring and the other calls for 3 pole wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    240 volts 3-pole indicates to me that he is referring to a breaker, which would be 3-phase.

If he is indeed asking about plugs and receptacles, you are correct.

Maybe some clarification will be forthcoming from Mike.
    He mentioned single phase, so I figured he must be talking about plug configurations having to do with single phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    Mike quotes: Hi Thanks for your reply. I have 2 pieces of equipment that are 240 volts single phase. One calls for 2 pole wiring and the other calls for 3 pole wiring.

He mentioned single phase, so I figured he must be talking about plug configurations having to do with single phase.
    It sure would help if *I WOULD LEARN TO READ* wouldn't it?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com