Default refrigerator receptacle

Is a refrigerator receptacle located within 6’ of a bar sink required to be GFCI protected if it is only accessible by pulling out the refrigerator?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: refrigerator receptacle

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    Is a refrigerator receptacle located within 6’ of a bar sink required to be GFCI protected if it is only accessible by pulling out the refrigerator?
    No

A ref never goes on a GFCI

Just an FYI, refrigerators in a commercial kitchen are not exempt from being GFI protected. This changes in either the 02 or 05 Code cycle.

I forgot to mention this was a single family dwelling--thanks

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post

When a receptacle for a refrigerator is within 6' of a wet-bar sink, according to 210.8(A)(7), it would need GFCI protection whether it’s a single receptacle or a duplex. Receptacle outlets for walls, counters and refrigerators are to receive their supply from the small appliance branch circuits as per 210.52(B)(1). A receptacle has to be installed over the countertop to serve the countertop as per 210.52(C)(5), so if the receptacle is behind the refrigerator and not within 6 ft of a wet bar sink it would not require GFCI protection.

Thanks Fred

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    When a receptacle for a refrigerator is within 6' of a wet-bar sink, according to 210.8(A)(7), it would need GFCI protection whether it’s a single receptacle or a duplex. Receptacle outlets for walls, counters and refrigerators are to receive their supply from the small appliance branch circuits as per 210.52(B)(1). A receptacle has to be installed over the countertop to serve the countertop as per 210.52(C)(5), so if the receptacle is behind the refrigerator and not within 6 ft of a wet bar sink it would not require GFCI protection.
    Now you have gone and done it. Now I am going to have to look it up. I am 99% positive that the frig does not need to be GFCI protected. It is for a dedicated appliance and behind the frig. Making it GFCI protected makes no sence for any code or practical purpose. I know that all garage recepatacles now have to be protected whether it be for a dedicated appliance or not but not the kitchen frig.

Jeff Remas Guest

A kitchen sink is not a wet bar sink. 210.8(A)(6) specifically addresses kitchens therefore unless there is a "wet bar sink" in the kitchen, then 210.8(A)(6) does not apply.

A fridge receptacle within 6' of a wet bar sink needs to be GFCI protected.

Ted Menelly Guest

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch
    circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.
    Exception No. 2 is intended to allow a choice for refrigeration equipment receptacle outlets located in a kitchen or
    similar area. An individual 15-ampere or larger branch circuit may serve this equipment, or it may be included in the
    20-ampere small-appliance branch circuit. Refrigeration equipment is also exempt from the GFCI requirements of
    Section 210-8.

EDIT

I had these notes on my computer. I do not have the book in front of me at this time. Update me so I can look it up later as to where to find it in the book

This is out of the 2006 IRC:

E3802.6 Kitchen receptacles. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15-
    and 20-ampere receptacles that serve countertop surfaces shall
    have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

and then this:

Exceptions:
    1. Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
    2. A single receptacle or duplex receptacle for two appliances
    located within dedicated space for each appliance
    that in normal use is not easily moved from one
    place to another, and that is cord- and plug-connected.
    3. A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed
    fire alarm or burglar alarm system.

A dedicated refrigerator outlet does not serve the countertop and is not easily accessed.

So I guess it depends on what code your area is using.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This is a wet bar sink--not a kitchen sink or counter top..

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    This is out of the 2006 IRC:

E3802.6 Kitchen receptacles. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15-
    and 20-ampere receptacles that serve countertop surfaces shall
    have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

and then this:

Exceptions:
    1. Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
    2. A single receptacle or duplex receptacle for two appliances
    located within dedicated space for each appliance
    that in normal use is not easily moved from one
    place to another, and that is cord- and plug-connected.
    3. A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed
    fire alarm or burglar alarm system.

A dedicated refrigerator outlet does not server the countertop and is not easily accessed.

So I guess it depends on what code your area is using.
    Thanks Scott

I don't have a book in front of me to look it up. Just some notes on my computer

Fred is correct (probably ).

The question stated "bar sink", as the question is worded, it "could be a bar sink in a kitchen" - I have seen them.

If that is the case, then the answer is 'No, GFCI protection is not required.'

However, *I am sure* that Roland meant to specify "wet" bar sink, in which case we go back to my first statement: Fred is correct.

From the 2008 NEC.
    - 210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
    - - (A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
    - - - (7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

In (7) above there are no exceptions.

The IRC below give Roland the edge in whether or not it is a "wet bar sink" or a "bar sink" in that it simply refers to "bar sink".

From the 2006 IRC.
    - E3802.7 Laundry, utility, and bar sink receptacles.
    All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles that are located within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the outside edge of a laundry, utility or wet bar sink shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel. Receptacle outlets shall not be installed in a face-up position in the work surfaces or countertops.

Again, there are no exceptions.

Being as both terms were used, the answer to Roland's question is, yes, GFCI protection is required for the refrigerator receptacle outlet within 6 feet of a "bar sink".

It would be nice, though, for the NEC to use the same terms in both places.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Yep. That is what it says. I blew right past bar sink just thinking kitchen sink. 6 feet away from a wet bar ,I don't believe I ever wrote up. At the wet bar counter or right next to it, yes. Out in the game room or what ever, no.