Thread: NM question #2

Default NM question #2

As an inspector I was on a job where the electrician (?) had Type NM cable running in all directions like a spider web. I was always told parallel and perpendicular. Can cables be installed at all different angles?

OREP Insurance
    "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Fred Warner Guest

Default Re: NM question #2

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    As an inspector I was on a job where the electrician (?) had Type NM cable running in all directions like a spider web. I was always told parallel and perpendicular. Can cables be installed at all different angles?
    Yes, unfortunately, as long as the installation complies with 300.4 and the provisions within the respective cable article. 110.12 is a very hard provision to enforce when all other provisions have been met.

Jeff Remas Guest

Through or parallel to framing members. Through does not define a specific angle, just through.

Unfortunately I see more of these then ones like your picture Jeff..

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

When you think about it, it would be impractical to even try to run them all parallel. There would be many times when different circuit conductors would need to cross each other.

Not running them parallel is not 'not in a neat and workmanlike manner' What Roland described, though, "like a spider web" is not in a neat and workmanlike manner.

From the 2008 NEC.
    - 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
    - - Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
    - - - FPN: Accepted industry practices are described in ANSI/NECA 1-2006, Standard Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting, and other ANSI-approved installation standards.

Note that while the NEC does not define nor describe a "neat and workmanlike manner", the NEC *DOES* state "Electrical equipment SHALL BE INSTALLED IN a neat and workmanlike manner.", thus, it is an enforceable requirement.

Then the unenforceable FPN stated that "Accepted industry practices are described in ... ", so, while the FPN is not enforceable, the "neat and workmanlike manner" IS enforceable.

And enforcing what is a "neat and workmanlike manner" can be a chore to determine, so, as we discussed on another thread, documentation supporting the AHJ opinion is needed, and that documentation is available in the form of "ANSI/NECA 1-2006, Standard Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting". Kind of like using the Commentary and Handbooks to base your interpretations on, it is accepted, it is documented, it is available, and it *SHALL* be done as it is so stated in the code.

(Now the above is will most likely lead to much lively debate. )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com