Default ceiling fan on porch

I am inspecting a house with a ceiling paddle fan on a porch. Are there any restrictions on the installation? The porch has a roof but is open on the sides.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Richard Thacker Guest

Default Re: ceiling fan on porch

I agree with that one. My problem is how would you tell by looking at it? Or should I just write it up for an electrical contractor to verify??

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

I think the major differences are plastic blades and the top of the motor is not open in case of a leak.

OK--good that is what I will look for.. thanks

Dennis Webber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    I am inspecting a house with a ceiling paddle fan on a porch. Are there any restrictions on the installation? The porch has a roof but is open on the sides.
    Just seen this post and thought I'd look it up as the question and answers intrigued me.

In checking the UL White Book, under category GPRT, UL states that the ceiling fans designed for mounting under a porch roof have been tested with a water spray test will are marked as such. (It almost seems as if they are listing for wet location, although I have seen damp loc. fans. Now I wonder if they (damp loc.) were NOT to be used in an exterior environment - different requirements that a light would be?) Anyway, UL states the label will indicate that the fan is suitable for mounting on a patio or porch ceiling.

If this is an existing home, I would also be suspicious of the mounting means (outlet box) for the fan and any exterior light switch (would need to be wet loc.)

Ron Bibler Guest

I see a lot of ceiling fan installed with a standard fixture box that are not rated for ceiling fans. this can be a big problem if the fan comes off the ceiling and then you known what hits the fan.

I alway make at statement in my report to this fact to have an electrical contractor check the out let box.

Best

Ron

If the fan is supported independantly of the box it does not need to be fan rated.

However, using the standard box and screws to support the fan would be an issue.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Thacker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    I agree with that one. My problem is how would you tell by looking at it? Or should I just write it up for an electrical contractor to verify??
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    I think the major differences are plastic blades and the top of the motor is not open in case of a leak.
    Even in usually dry Las Vegas, I see sagging fan blades on patio covers. I wouldn't put any fan outside anywhere that has Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) blades.