Default Corrugated metal sheathing

I just inspected a pole barn. It is wood construction with a corrugated metal siding. It has a 100 amp service mounted to a wooden post inside. Is the metal siding required to be bonded to the service??

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Roland Miller; 02-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    OREP Insurance
    "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Jeff Remas Guest

Default Re: Corrugated metal sheathing

Only where interconnected to form the building frame and in this example, it is not, therefore I say no unless the metal is used to tie the frame together for structural stability then yes because it is now part of the structural frame just like exterior OSB sheathing over the frame for a braced wall.

That is my dilemma--the manufacturer says the design loads depend on the metal siding being installed correctly. Is this enough to say it is "structural steel"? Would it have been acceptable to mount the panel to the metal and have this qualify for a bond??

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Jeff Remas Guest

If it is structural by design and made of steel what do you think?

2 + 2 = 4

Great question to debate.

It is all wood framing with the steel skin. The manufacturer says the wind design for the structure is dependent on the metal being there with proper screw type and placement. I would like to see it bonded but am still a little thin on a code connection..

Without a conductive frame for the sheet metal to be bolted to, how would this be bonded? Each sheet would have to have its own bonding strap, no?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Well there is always that issue. I was hoping the tek screws would suffice if the bonding is required.

Jeff Remas Guest

If required to be bonded then similar to the vertical support stands for the frame of an above ground pool with a conductor attached with straps at each section.

Is the inut from the manufacturer enough to say it is "structural" steel and require bonding??

Jeff Remas Guest

Yes if stated by the manufacturer.

bummer--not what I wanted to hear LOL But after all the discussion I can see how we got there from here. Thanks