Default realtor as attorney

Me: Those steps need a railing on the open side.

Realtor: FHA won't require it.

Me: I'm not doing an FHA inspection. A railing is needed for safety.

Realtor, to clients: No one can sue you for that. There's a railing on the other side. No one can sue you.

Judge (in my imagination): Your realtor said no one can sue you? Ok, then! Case closed!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: realtor as attorney

John,

Pretty sure that FHA requires a railing too.

Just ask the real estate agent to sign a letter stating that all his/her worldly possessions, and all past, present and future earnings, will be freely given forthwith to any person or persons, or their heirs, who may fall or slip on or off that stairway.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Me: Those steps need a railing on the open side.

Realtor: FHA won't require it.

Me: I'm not doing an FHA inspection. A railing is needed for safety.

Realtor, to clients: No one can sue you for that. There's a railing on the other side. No one can sue you.

Judge (in my imagination): Your realtor said no one can sue you? Ok, then! Case closed!
    John: What is an FHA inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    John: What is an FHA inspection?
    take a look at this

www.appraisaltoday.com/images/Odom_FHA_inspect_list.pdf

hmm... that's not working

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I inspect homes that are going to have an FHA loan. One would be surprised at what they require fixed before they cut a check or at least have an allowance set asside to be paid upon completion of repair. Safety items along with termites and big ticket items are always called out for FHA. If it will harm the client that is responcible for paying back the note, if there is a big expendture in the immediate future, if there are plumbing leaks, wood rot, roof leak, faulty wiring. no grounded outlets, well, the list goes on. FHA will want a home inspection for just about anything older than 3 to 5 years and a termite inspection as well.

VA wants a termite inspection if the home has been lived in and is only six months to a year old.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    take a look at this

www.appraisaltoday.com/images/Odom_FHA_inspect_list.pdf

hmm... that's not working
    John:

The form you posted is an appraisal form. It is posted on a appraisal site and refers dierectly to this manual:
    HUDClips -> Valuation Analysis for Single Family One- to Four- Unit Dwellings (4150.2), which is a HUD appraisal manual. It appears that the appraiser interjected the term "inspection" on his form and believes himself to be an inspector.

Denny L West Guest

My understanding of the FHA on stairs .is aslong as there is a railing dose not state it has to be on both sides .

Quote Originally Posted by Denny L West View Post
    My understanding of the FHA on stairs .is aslong as there is a railing dose not state it has to be on both sides .

Danny,

I believe you are mixing up "hand"railing (i.e., "handrail") and "guard" railing (i.e., "guard").

A guard is required on both sides of an open stairs as shown in the photo.

A handrail is only required on one side.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John,

When the old skanks throw up lines like that I always like to come back with the worst scenario.

Something like a lawsuit is not going to bring back the child who fell and bashed their brains out on the concrete. The grieving parents might have bought the handrail if they new it would have saved their child.

It usually shuts these smartarse type realtors up from making such lame comments.

rick