Default No Access to disconnect...

Condo inspection today. There are closed panels with tamper proof fasteners on the side of exterior. I can only guess that the SEC, main disconnect and meter are inside? Isn't there a code that requires accessibility to the main disconnect?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Fred Warner Guest

Default Re: No Access to disconnect...

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Condo inspection today. There are closed panels with tamper proof fasteners on the side of exterior. I can only guess that the SEC, main disconnect and meter are inside? Isn't there a code that requires accessibility to the main disconnect?
    Those ells look like plumbing ells, not conduit. Is this really electric work?

Ya, there PVC. Went all the way around the complex and there is one box for every two units. Sub-panel (thats for JP) in the laundry room. Neutral and grounds seperated, more than 6 disconnects.

I'm thinking that goes to irrigation sprinklers and rain sensor switch, or maybe communication stuff??

Still not right with those elbows like that. Probably all of it is white plumbing PVC.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm thinking that goes to irrigation sprinklers and rain sensor switch, or maybe communication stuff??

Still not right with those elbows like that. Probably all of it is white plumbing PVC.
    There is a possibility you are right! The only other place for SEC etc. is in Green metal boxes out in the community yard. They are pad locked so no way of telling what is inside anything! Shouldn't there be access available somewhere?

I can only guess that the SEC, main disconnect and meter are inside? Isn't there a code that requires accessibility to the main disconnect?
    Yes, there is a code which requires the service equipment to be readily accessible, have required working space in front of it, etc.

There is a possibility you are right! The only other place for SEC etc. is in Green metal boxes out in the community yard. They are pad locked so no way of telling what is inside anything! Shouldn't there be access available somewhere?
    Well, the service entrance conductors are not required to be accessible, but you would be able to see the ends of them (unless in a combination enclosure where metal bus bars fed the service equipment from the meter) at the service equipment, which is required to be accessible, etc. (see above).

If there is underground service, you are possibly thinking about the service laterals.

If those boxes are pedestals, depending on their size, they may well be for cable TV, in which case they ran from the pedestal where the main cabling runs around the development and is stubbed up into those pedestals, then it was run to the buildings and run around the buildings to catch each unit.

Being as those area condos, all the service equipment would be in one location, possibly on one end of the building, in a meter room, or ????

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, there is a code which requires the service equipment to be readily accessible, have required working space in front of it, etc.

If those boxes are pedestals, depending on their size, they may well be for cable TV, in which case they ran from the pedestal where the main cabling runs around the development and is stubbed up into those pedestals, then it was run to the buildings and run around the buildings to catch each unit.

Being as those area condos, all the service equipment would be in one location, possibly on one end of the building, in a meter room, or ????
    Cable TV makes sense! I looked everywhere for equipment room etc. Guess I'll just say I could not find it!

Michael Mills Guest

It's possible that the locked green metal boxes you referred to in the yard might be POCO splice boxes or transformer enclosures.

Mike

I went back and found the service, under the stairs near the middle of the building, covered with a piece of plywood.

I should have looked harder at the time of inspection, but I was afraid of getting shot poking around other units.

I should have looked harder at the time of inspection, but I was afraid of getting shot poking around other units.

I'm seriously considering getting a reflective safety vest like one's the meter readers wear for inspections in the city - hopefully it would make it less likely I'll be confused with someone there to "borrow" cooper plumbing or personal possessions.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I'm seriously considering getting a reflective safety vest like one's the meter readers wear for inspections in the city - hopefully it would make it less likely I'll be confused with someone there to "borrow" cooper plumbing or personal possessions.
    That seems like a really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    That seems like a really good idea.
    I've thought about it too, but the one I one looking at getting said "Crime Scene Unit" on it. Basic C.S.I. T-shirt from Zazzle.com Then my better judgment kicked in and ...
    (that was long before CSI ever came on TV, thus that was not the shirt I had in mind, I was looking at a vest, which I cannot find now)

After all, are we not inspecting "the scene of the crimes committed by the various contractors"?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Warner Guest

.........After all, are we not inspecting "the scene of the crimes committed by the various contractors"?
    Kinda wonder sometimes.........