Default Wall heater register

Just wanted to double check on this one.

A wall heater in the living room. The bedroom is on the other side of this wall (pic #1). A register/vent has been installed in the bedroom (pic #2). Someone cut through the wall and the backside of the wall heater (pic #3). I am writing that the heater has been modified and advising replacement, but wanted to make sure.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Eric Shuman Guest

Default Re: Wall heater register

Gunnar,

It's hard to tell from the 3rd photo, but did they just cut out the back of the heater to make the vent?

Eric

Gunnar
    Without knowing if the modifications were approved (or even designed by the manufacturer) you might hold off on recommending replacement. Instead you could say something like, the wall furnace looks like it has been modified ( addition of a vent to the bedroom), it is beyond the scope of this inspection to determine if the modification violates the manufacturers installation requirements. Recommend you have a certified/ licensed heating contractor that is familiar with this type of heating system to determine if the modification will affect its safety.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Eric,

Looked like it was cut open with tin snips.

Rick,

You might be right, but it seems to me that this essentially puts the heater in the bedroom. (UMC 904.5). As far as I know, open flame heating appliances are not allowed in bedrooms.

However, it doesn't really matter now. The report went out a couple of days ago.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Richard Rushing Guest

Gunnar is right. It does essentially put the furnace in the bedroom.

I do alot of these old type set ups in Oak Cliff (very old section of Dallas) and most of these old wall-mounted heaters really are to the point of needing replacing because of the potential fire hazard. I've never seen one that I'd want to keep in the home for my family.

Rich.

R.R.
    They are approved for mother-in-law apartments.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Martin lehman Guest

Wall furnaces are allowed in sleeping rooms, as long as the sleeping room is large enough to be considered unconfined space.

Cool Re: Wall heater register

2006 IRC - M1409.3 Installation: Vented wall furnace installations shall conform to the following requirements:
    1. Required wall thicknesses shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
    2. Ducts shall not be attached to a wall furnace. Casing extensions or boots shall be installed only when listed as part of a listed and labeled appliance.
    3. A manual shut off valve shall be installed ahead of all controls.
    Note item #2.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant