Thread: Cemetery

Default Cemetery

Today while inspecting a foreclosed home, I went to the rear of the home and was taking some pictures. Noticed that there was a hill behind this home that had a lot of soil washout coming onto this property. We had some heavy rains last night so I was curious of this hill.

I walked up this small hill to take a few pics when I noticed something. I walked over to it and sure enough it was tombstones that was covered with brush. I have no idea how old the place is but one of the stones had a death date of 1865 marked on it.

Strange day for sure.

rick

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Cemetery

Sorry about that. I thought I had attached the pictures.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Rick,

Wasn't that the premise of the original Poltergeist movie? They built houses on an old cemetery. Did you see any strange phenomena?

Homesteaders burial site?

Brent Simmerman Guest

Talking Re: Cemetery

Should have done that inspection on Friday!

Mike Truss Guy Guest

You might contact the local genealogists in the area. Some states have organizations that clean-up old graveyards and record information on old tombstones. Especially if any of the deceased are veterans.

That is sad that they are forgotten. In my area we have small graveyards like that all over the place. In my subdivision we have two of them. The developers were required by the State to fence them off with a nice looking fence and now the grass and surrounding area must be maintained by our HOA. I'm betting that is the graveyard for the family that use to own all of that land back when it was just open space.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

You are correct. It was a family cemetary which I have done some research with the county and found there is 28 known gravesites there. It was once a Texas Landmark site but lost its funding due to no one maintaining it. That must have happen when the area was being developed.

The family that is buried there once owner 1200 plus acres in this area.

I have started working with the neighboring HOA and the county on cleaning up the cemetary and I already am seeking help to place a wrought iron fence around it.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 02-14-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Scott,

You are correct. It was a family cemetary which I have done some research with the county and found there is 28 known gravesites there. It was once a Texas Landmark site but lost its funding due to no one maintaining it. That must have happen when the area was being developed.

The family that is buried there once owner 1200 plus acres in this area.

I have started working with the neighboring HOA the county on cleaning up the cemetary and I already am seeking help to place a wrought iron fence around it.

Rick
    You might also contact a local Boy Scout Troop, they are always looking for service projects to do in the community. I had one Scout who cleaned up an old cemetery and recorded all of the 90+ grave marker for the county for his Eagle project.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    You might also contact a local Boy Scout Troop, they are always looking for service projects to do in the community. I had one Scout who cleaned up an old cemetery and recorded all of the 90+ grave marker for the county for his Eagle project.

Great work Rick. I gain more respect for you everyday. I would be glad to help out if I were anywhere in the area.

The sensitive caring home inspector. I'm lovin it. Things like that always awakens ones mortality.

The listing agent did not mentioned the special feature "It comes with it's own boot hill"

The closest we come to that in Illinois is a small plot next to a rural church.

Alot of history in those tomb stones.

Steve reilly
    Owl Inspection Services

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reilly View Post
    The listing agent did not mentioned the special feature "It comes with it's own boot hill"

The closest we come to that in Illinois is a small plot next to a rural church.

Alto of history in those tomb stones.

Steve reilly
    Owl Inspection Services
    Farm country Illinois you would think there would be very old and or abandon old farm grave yards everywhere.

Doug Edwards Guest

Realtors take on the home site: Great neighborhood, people are dying to get in here.