Default Public Identification as Inspector

There was a recent post about taking steps to help the public know you are an inspector so that when you are peeking in windows and lurking around a property, the public is less likely to call the police or take matters into their own hands.

What steps, if any, do you take to help let the public know you are an inspector and it is your job to be suspiciously poking around?

I have a "real estate" style sign that I plant at the curb with my company name, phone number, and web address. It allows passerbys to know that the house is being inspected. It is also a form of marketing so that the neighbors can see that the sign was out there for several hours as well as plant the seed that they may need an inspection. I have had people stop me and ask for business cards while I was planting the sign and pulling together my supplies prior to an inspection.

I wear a monogramed shirt with my company logo, a tool belt, and have business cards with me in case anyone were to approach me.

I know some inspectors wear their ASHI badge.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: Public Identification as Inspector

Bruce,

I've never had much problem cause I'm one of those that my company name on the sides and rear of my truck. Across the bed of the truck is HOME INSPECTOR in about 6 in. letters.

Always park in the front of the home I'm inspecting so its never been an issue. It may also be the cap I wear that says Don't F with me, I'm a deal killer.

Rick

I have no lettering on my truck of my clothes and have never had a problem with someone calling the police on me. I always figure the flashlight and toolbelt gives an idea that I'm there working on the house. Of course, that stuff would be a great disguise for a burglar.

Rick must be a more polite driver than me.... I'm afraid to put a phone number on my truck

I had the cops called on me while I was waiting in my vehicle and eating my lunch. This was in New Jersey. Two unmarked cars came down the street from either direction and parked blocking the street so I couldn't get away.
    They apologized after discovering I wasn't a terrorist.
    After that I was paranoid. So when I was early to an inspection and standing on the sidewalk looking at the property, and a state cop pulled into the driveway, I thought, here we go. Turned out he was the home owner coming to let me in.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

John, aside from the beaches, that's just another reason to stay out of NJ.

Have a color copy of my state license laminated in a holder with a strap where I can wear it around my neck, I seldom do so however unless I'm wearing a jacket where I can tuck it in because it keeps getting in the way. I should probably get another with a clip so that I can wear it on a pocket.

There is pretty prominent signage on the back window of my vehicle and two ladders on top, that seems to satisfy the neighbors, I've only had the police called once and that was one I arrived early for the inspection of a foreclosed property around sunset.

The real estate style sign sounds like a good idea.

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that I've posted this before, but I do know an inspector who was required by the police come down as ladder with his hands in the air and had problems with the officer who suspected his pin type moisture meter might be some kind of Taser.

I'm not at all worried about the police - who tend to be pretty low-key in many of the suburbs where I inspect (Skokie IL for some reason being a notable exception - they seem to have some kind of screening program to make sure they hire jerks there - they remind me of the joke about breeding French and English Pit Bulls - rude AND arrogant) - I'm worried about some idiot idiot neighbor next door with a shotgun.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Never had a problem. Sometimes I wear my license around my neck like Michael. If neighbors are outside I talk with them. Usually the camera around my neck and clipboard are enough to keep neighbors from getting worried. I usually don't actually cross the property line until the agent/buyer shows up. I'll start doing the outside from the sidewalk or alley.
    Right on topic however ... when we sold our house the buyer hired a franchise HI. The guy showed up about 1/2 hour early, not unusual. We have a big extremely protective german shepherd who was going absolutely apeshit at the back door. I had no idea why but knew something must be going on. Let the dog out and he went flying up the back porch. Turns out the stupid SOB was on the roof. The dog would have ripped him to pieces if he wasn't already on the roof. The HI came into a fenced backyard, up a porch and onto the roof without any notification. When he came down, I asked him what the hell he thought he was doing. Of course he got an attitude and I told him to get the hell off the property until his client showed.
    The guy was clearly clueless. The beware of dog sign and leash on the gate somehow didn't register.
    As a side note, I always kick the fence a few times and wait before I enter a yard, no matter what the agent or others say. Saved my a** many times.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ron Bibler Guest

I stop infront of a home that i was going to inspect and as i was typing i look up and in my window was
    Gladys Kravitz
    What are you doing. I just call the ploice and y-up around the corner they came. So now im giving them all my ID. State Lic. Drive Lic Company card.
    Thanks to Gladys Kravitz Abner---Abner---look, look see the man in the truck! Abner Call the Cops Call the cops.....Abner

Best

Ron

Well when I have my truck signs on that works pretty well, but I have had several clients who don't want folks to know that a home inspector is at the home. Various reasons from lawsuits to some high profile folks in the entertainment and sports world.

ASHI has always had a nifty clip on badge and this year it was changed to one that has INSPECTOR in inch high letters across the front with your name on it, membership number and expiration date. Yellow and black for one level of membership and Blue and black for the another level. Works pretty well

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Well when I have my truck signs on that works pretty well, but I have had several clients who don't want folks to know that a home inspector is at the home. Various reasons from lawsuits to some high profile folks in the entertainment and sports world.
    Never has been a problem for me and I've done inspections for very famous sports players, actors / actresses, some rock and rollers. I've signed many client confidentaility statements for their attorneys but by the time they are moving or selling its not a big secret. The media has already leaked it to the public.

Rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Dang it Rick... I never get any big to do inspection. I'm just stuck in Ca. inspecting REO. With mold in every room.

And you guys are getting the big shots with the pools and movie stars

Just my luck...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Never has been a problem for me and I've done inspections for very famous sports players, actors / actresses, some rock and rollers. I've signed many client confidentaility statements for their attorneys but by the time they are moving or selling its not a big secret. The media has already leaked it to the public.

Rick
    I think it is just the area and more than likely their real estate agents that are promoting the no signs on the vehicles.

I just signed a confidentiality agreement for a job next week that says I can not upload the report or transmit it electronically to anyone. I must provide the report on a flash drive that will be provided to me. This was a first for me! But hey, they pay my fee and I will do as they ask! It is good work once you get into their word of mouth circle.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com