Default Finger-jointed lumber

I know finger-joint studs are allowed for wall framing, but this is the first time I have seen finger-jointed rafters and hip rafters (2x6's and 2x8's). Is finger-joint lumber allowed for this application and, if so, would all joints need to be vertically supported? Any sources for or against would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jesse Bryant

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jesse Bryant; 02-12-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Fred Warner Guest

Default Re: Finger-jointed lumber

Finger-jointed rafters have been used in my neck of the woods for over twenty years. As a matter of fact there is a mill within 3/8 mile from my house.

Hey Jesse,
    you will see my reply over on TIJ. It all depends on the grading of the lumber. So the short answer is yes, they are allowed for that use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Hey Jesse,
    you will see my reply over on TIJ. It all depends on the grading of the lumber. So the short answer is yes, they are allowed for that use.

Brandon,

Just curious, why not copy and paste it here instead of having someone chase it all over and to another board?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, I intend to. The problem is that once I start reading posts on this site, I can't jump off of it or I will miss reading some of the new posts. I do not know how to jump back...........

Structural Applications
    Finger-jointed products grade stamped CERT EXT JNTS are intended for all structural applications. This lumber is assembled with a waterproof, exterior-type adhesive. Limitations on knot size and placement near joints are highly restrictive. CERT EXT JNTS stamped products may be used interchangeably with any solid-sawn lumber product of the same species and grades. The lumber may be used as beams, joists, rafters, studs, plates, or in any other exterior or interior framing application.

I got this info. from the website below:

http://www.austinenergy.com/En...Wood.htm

Here is a better website for ya:
    http://newstore.southernpine.c...f212.pdf

Jerry, I intend to. The problem is that once I start reading posts on this site, I can't jump off of it or I will miss reading some of the new posts. I do not know how to jump back...........
    If you are using Internet Explorer, go to the menu bar, to 'File', scroll down to 'New Window', click once.

When the new window opens go to the other board, copy what you want, go down to the Task Bar, click on the other window showing open down there, the first window opens and you are back here, with your copy on your clip board ready to paste here.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry (it works)

Hi Fritz,

I don't mind getting corrected any time I am wrong. It may keep me from making the same mistake in the future..... Luckily, I pretty much have a photographic memory when it comes to spelling, so grammar is the only correction I seem to need. (don't take offense, I'm just havin' some fun. Plus, it's not like you can smack me from way down in AZ)

Brandon, If you use a fairly modern browser it will have "tabs". You can open numerous websites at the same time in separate tabs and just switch back and forth, keeping them all open at the same time. Both Firefox and Internet Explorer have this ability. i have 6-8 tabs up at all times while reading my emails and various news sites.
    Works great.
    Dana

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Dana,

My problem is that I keep switching browsers. I had firefox, 'til my laptop crashed recently. My new computer is using IE, so I've got a learning curve. Thanks to your post, I found out that I can just click on the new tab to open another window-- much easier.

Thanks.....