Default Post at grade, footing flush w/ground

I ran into this once before and can't remember what I found out.

The bottom of the post (non-treated) is resting directly at grade level. The cement footing is in the ground, the depth and size is pretty much unknown.

It seems like it is prone to water damage and just an all around bad idea.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Post at grade, footing flush w/ground

Yup you can see a small water stain on the base of that post. It needs to be cut off and a treated base installed with a Simpson plate installed and lag into the footing...

Something should be done with the moisture and ventilation of that sub-structure.

Best

Ron

I agree with Ron. I'd recommend it be replaced with PT. A new post should be secured to the beam, but is not required to be secured to the pier pad in OR.

Does anyone else have a problem with a vapor barrier being wrapped around untreated wood posts? I often see this, and it seems like there are usually condensation stains and sometimes rot on the base of the posts due to moisture getting trapped against the wood. It may just be a pet peeve of mine.

Matt, does it seem like business has picked up for you recently? I am suddenly picking up a lot of work. I just hope it's not some sort of lucky streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Matt, does it seem like business has picked up for you recently? I am suddenly picking up a lot of work. I just hope it's not some sort of lucky streak.

Yep, it's like somebody turned on a light. I'm afraid to get too optomistic. I managed 8 this week and have several for next week already. Everytime this has happened in the last 6 months my phone hasn't rang again for 3 days. So, we'll see what the first part of the week brings.

From what I'm hearing, the banks are getting back to people a bit more quickly. I guess they're back from their first round stimulus funded vacations and have to work for a couple weeks before the next checks roll in.