Aaron Bair Guest

Default Want to add termite inspection. How??

I want to expand my business and offer termite inspection since no other inspectors in my area do this. I want to become the one-stop shop inspector for my customer.

In SC you have to be certified and I am having trouble finding out how to get certified. I guess I am gonna have to take a Terminix guy out to lunch or something.

Any ideas where to look to find out requirements and where to get trained.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Want to add termite inspection. How??

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bair View Post
    I want to expand my business and offer termite inspection since no other inspectors in my area do this. I want to become the one-stop shop inspector for my customer.

In SC you have to be certified and I am having trouble finding out how to get certified. I guess I am gonna have to take a Terminix guy out to lunch or something.

Call any termite inspection company, they will tell you or go down the town hall where one gets a business license and ask them what the requirements are for the license.

If it is anything like Texas you have to work for or under someone with a pest control license and then go thru the course of time and test.

Ron Bibler Guest

In Ca. you would work for a termite company for 4 years then take the state test. then you could open your own company.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 02-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.

It's funny the different regional things. In Oregon all HIs are also certified as Pest Applicators. Or, at least if you want to work you are because otherwise your clients would need a separate inspection for the 'Pest and Dry Rot Report' - Official name is a Wood Destroying Insect and Organism Report.

In any case, the license is the same thing as an Orkin guy carries. It's great... I get to go take a test every 5 years about how to rinse out chemical containers and which spray nozzle to use during high winds. This stuff really helps me be a better HI.

I'm sure things are different in your area but I'd start with the bug companies. You might even just call some and pretend to be interested in working for them and ask what licenses are required and where to get the necessary education.

One stop shop inspector?

Why not inspect their car or do an oil change while they are there too?

Here's a start on how to seek out that license.

RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE ENFORCEMENT OF THESOUTH CAROLINA PESTICIDE CONTROL ACT

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 02-14-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Take some tests and pay a tiny fee and away you go. A lot of studying for each test but thats about it.

Jeff Remas Guest

Rick has provided the link you need to get started. Why call a company when you can talk to the state who regulates this anyway.

You will need to pass the core exam and then the appropriate category. In PA it is the WDI category (12) but I don't see that option for your state. Ask them which category covers wood destroying insects.

If I was an inspecting boy and I lived in the South, getting into the termite inspection business would be the last thing I would do. In the South we basically have three types of homes:

1. Homes that will have termites.
    2. Homes that have had termites.
    3. Homes that still have termites after they have been treated!

Just to be able to offer that $50 WDO certificate is not worth the trouble and or increased liability, IMVHO.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If I was an inspecting boy and I lived in the South, getting into the termite inspection business would be the last thing I would do. In the South we basically have three types of homes:

Just to be able to offer that $50 WDO certificate is not worth the trouble and or increased liability, IMVHO.

Why do you say that Scott. In our state it is an absolute visual. If there is nothing visual at the time of the inspection then it is impossible for anyone to prove otherwise. Now if you use other than visual such as micro wave machines to tell someone they have termites (not allowed in Texas) which you can do but not report the existence of then you would be liable. No signs at the exterior or interior, no liability. Prove otherwise almost impossible. Of course one is looking for far more than termites but still, truly just a visual. If someone follows behind you in less than thirty days and finds an overwhelming visual and not just something becoming visual that obviously just became visual you are not liable. You can have termites appear in a swarm that did not build a swarm castle inside the home there is still no visual at the time of the inspection.

In short, I don't see the liability. Anything has a liability if you just walk in, fill out a report and leave but who would do that. If you find something then you have the opportunity to get a partial or full treatment from a couple hundred to a couple thousand or more. No reason not to do a good visual.

Its funny how if you are a home inspector and find concerns, you cannot do the work. If you are a termite inspector and find termites you can do the work.

Again. You have everything to gain from finding carpenter ants, termites etc. etc. you have the first chance to give a estimate on treatment and you are the one that found them. You are the most likely to get the treatment.

Your statement is true about have, going to have and may still have after treatment. The still have, in another area after a spot treatment in another area brings you more work. If a full treatment and treated properly with a decent product are slim and then you get your yearly possible hundreds for a reinspect and if they do pop up in one spot it cost next to nothing to do another spot treatment but keeping that warranty enacted you make a good chunk of change just for an annual reinspect. Some companies do the 1/4 Early reinspect for a fee to keep the warranty enacted.

I do not see the liability. It is a win win as far as I am concerned. Now if someone else puts their screwdriver into newly calked and painted wood and rippes in open and finds termite, oh well, that was not a visual, you still are not liable. Termites are big business. You have no reason for doing a slack job.

I had some folks that tried to get something out of us for treatment and repairs when they ripped a vanity out and found termites in the wall behind it. The cabinet itself had no visual signs of termites. The interior of the home was fresh paint, trim, floor coverings. Oh well. Nothing visual at the time of the inspection anywhere. As far as they were concerned. TERMITES IN THE HOME, WE WERE RESPONCIBLE. NOT THE WAY IT IS.

A little edit here. Except for some a termite (WDI) report is 75 and up. There are some that slightly elevate the home inspection price and add the termite into it. They get more total inspections because of it which counters the lesser fee for termite inspections but still reep a bigger benefit from getting more home inspecdtions because their total fee is far less and can still get a treatment out of it. A win, win.

Before I became a Certified Pest Control Operator in Florida, which you have to work under someone for 3 years, then pass the test (there are several tests, different for each category), I talked on many old timers in the termite field, one of this said something which I still remember to this day: In Florida there are three types of homes: 1) brand spanking new and no termites yet; 2) houses with termites; 3) houses where you did not find the termites.

Then he said 'Boy, if you issue a clear report, it is not because there are no termites, it is because you did not look hard enough.'

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted,

I will have to disagree with you on the liability issue.

A number of inspectors are called out quite often for missing termite infestations. They usually get caught up in a lawsuit based on how they did a poor job of writing up the report and leave out important information such as what was not visible or inaccessible at the time of the inspection.

Many do not write up the "conducive" conditions that are truly present. I've set through 20+ cases where I was hired to go out a perform a WDI report on a home behind someone who now is the client in a lawsuit.

It is not a comfortable thing to do I can assure you.

My advice is if you are going to do WDI inspections, expect to get that call someday from someone telling you that you have missed a termite infestation or damages and that person would have never bought the home if they'd known otherwise.

Do enough WDI's and it is going to happen.

I suggest when you do get that call, you act immediately and you get your checkbook out and pay for the treatment no matter what. It is the cost of doing business.

Most guys will ignore these types of calls till the homeowner becomes irrate and won't even let you in the door anymore to try and remedy the situation.

My best advice to any home inspector out there is if your not capable of actually performing a termite treatment, you'd be best to let or refer someone else to do the WDI report.

Take if for whats its worth.

Rick Hurst

A.D. Miller Guest

Aaron:

Pesticide Regulation : Regulatory : Clemson University : South Carolina

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ted,

I will have to disagree with you on the liability issue.

A number of inspectors are called out quite often for missing termite infestations. They usually get caught up in a lawsuit based on how they did a poor job of writing up the report and leave out important information such as what was not visible or inaccessible at the time of the inspection.

Many do not write up the "conducive" conditions that are truly present. I've set through 20+ cases where I was hired to go out a perform a WDI report on a home behind someone who now is the client in a lawsuit.

It is not a comfortable thing to do I can assure you.

My advice is if you are going to do WDI inspections, expect to get that call someday from someone telling you that you have missed a termite infestation or damages and that person would have never bought the home if they'd known otherwise.

Do enough WDI's and it is going to happen.

I suggest when you do get that call, you act immediately and you get your checkbook out and pay for the treatment no matter what. It is the cost of doing business.

Most guys will ignore these types of calls till the homeowner becomes irrate and won't even let you in the door anymore to try and remedy the situation.

My best advice to any home inspector out there is if your not capable of actually performing a termite treatment, you'd be best to let or refer someone else to do the WDI report.

Take if for whats its worth.

Rick Hurst
    Now I have to agree with everything you say Rick

If you don't look well enough and write up the conducive conditions and don't write up all the findings, and, and, and, and, and.

Well that is where I disagree. My whole case was to do a thorough job which includes the proper reporting and, and, and, and.

What you are stating is the same as any business. You don't do your job then don't do it at all or you will pay the piper.

We are in complete agreement. There is no disagreement.

I also mentioned about going all the way as in fully licensed to treat as well.

I have no disagreement at all with anything you said. We are on the same page.

I guess I just did not state it strongly enough.

If you are going to do break jobs you better do them well.

If you are going to build decks you better do them well.

I know folks that don't write up form boards, some don't write up bushes touching even when minor just the major, some don't write up tree limbs touching the roof or rot around windows. Anyone that does a WDI on my inspections I tell them what they missed and or did not note the report properly, no matter how minute. I go over the report fully before they leave.

Yes we are on the same page. I am not listed with anyone as a tech because I use others to do the inspection. I use to be to busy to try and do both the termite and home inspection and I always wanted another set of eyes on the job for just that so I did not have to rush and deal with 2 inspections. As slow as it is no I wish I went all the way and became fully licensed. I could be pulling in more money offering such. God knows I certainly have the time now.

Aaron Bair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    One stop shop inspector?

Why not inspect their car or do an oil change while they are there too?

Here's a start on how to seek out that license.

RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE ENFORCEMENT OF THESOUTH CAROLINA PESTICIDE CONTROL ACT

rick

Thanks Rick! That is a good idea. I will offer that service possibly. They are getting ready to make car inspections necessary in SC again.

But hey I figured instead of the customer calling me to inspect the home, a termite guy, a well test guy, etc etc.
    Have a nice day!

Bill Thacker Guest

Start here, it may help.

South Carolina Pest Control Association

Pesticide Regulation : Regulatory : Clemson University : South Carolina

If you want to look for bugs that can eat the drywall paper and still leave the paint on the drywall then go ahead.

I worked my way through college selling termite control for Orkin in Houston TX back in the late 1970's for about four years. I learned back then that I did not want to open a PC company. Great money but too problems.

If you want to go into the PC business that is a business decision, but I would take what Rick said to heart. I have lost count on the number of litigation cases I have worked on that involved termites. As soon as they start swarming those phones start ringing.

One good hint for looking for termites; look for their wings. If you find cast off wings, you have a 95% change that you have termites!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bill Thacker Guest

One good hint for looking for termites; look for their wings. If you find cast off wings, you have a 95% change that you have termites!
    Hi Scott,

What is the other 5%? Before learning the difference, I saw what "appeared" to be termites but were instead citronella ants in a house I rented years ago. Do they cast off wings?

Do you inspect for the presence of WDI or do you pass on those based on upon your experience?

Bill

I personally have shelled out $8,000 on termite damage that was not noticeable at the inspection after the new owners started their remodel and found major damage in the concealed walls. However, I have done over a thousand WDI reports since and have had only 1 call back for termites that were not found during the initial inspection. The percentage of call backs for the home inspection are much higher than that because you have so many different systems and things that can go wrong. Most of the time with a termite call back, you can take care of it fairly cheap.

Termites are very pervasive here in Oklahoma, so it is not like we don't deal with it on a daily basis. My personal experience is that termite inspections are not as likely to get you in trouble as a home inspection if you are good at finding them. I take lots of pics to avert what Rick said about not documenting what was not visible etc. I never see other termite inspectors that are not also HI's taking pictures and I think they are nuts, but around here they just don't. A picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case, could be thousands of dollars. If you do it, make sure you know what you are doing and take lots of pics.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Frank,

You make an excelllent point about taking pictures.

Many termite inspectors do not take pictures as you see many HI's doing so. I've learned to take pictures as you mentioned to show the condition of the home, including stored contents that may obstuct inspection of certain areas. These are stored on file with that inspection report on my computer.

rick