Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    January 22, 2009
    Release #09-104

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 577-3960
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Rheem Recalls to Repair Oil-Fired Furnaces Due to Fire Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Rheem, Ruud and United Refrigeration Oil-Fired Furnaces

Units: About 14,000

Manufacturer: Air Conditioning Division of Rheem Manufacturing Co., of Fort Smith, Ark.

Hazard: If the furnace is not properly wired, the oil burner can continue to operate when the blower shuts off, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Rheem has received one report in which the furnace was incorrectly wired. No injuries or property damage have been reported.

Description: This recall involves oil-fired furnaces sold under the Rheem, Ruud and United Refrigeration brands. Only the models beginning with the model numbers listed in the chart below and with date codes ending in 0106 through 5206, 0107 through 5207, or 0108 through 4808 are included in this recall. The model number and date code (designated by the four digits following an "M" in the middle of the serial number) are printed on the unit's rating plate, which is on the left wall of the furnace's interior just above the burner. The rating plate can be found by opening the unit's burner access door, which has slotted openings.

Model # Brand & Description
    ROBF Rheem Classic/Ruud Achiever High Efficiency Upflow Oil Furnace
    ROPF Rheem Classic/Ruud Achiever High Efficiency Downflow/Horizontal Oil Furnace
    TZOUP United Refrigeration "Thermal Zone" Upflow Oil Furnace
    TZODH United Refrigeration "Thermal Zone" Downflow/ Horizontal Oil Furnace

Sold by: Contractors nationwide to consumers from January 2006 through December 2008 as part of installed systems for between $1,500 and $10,000.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately contact the contractor who installed the oil furnace to arrange for a free inspection and repair, if necessary.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Rheem at (800) 577-3960 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at Rheem Manufacturing Company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of residential Air Conditioners, Heat Pumps, Gas Furnaces, Air Handlers and Commercial HVAC products.

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recall product, please go to: Rheem Recalls to Repair Oil-Fired Furnaces Due to Fire Hazard