William Zoller Guest

Post Sump Pump Runs Frequently Year Around

Rural home is 18 months old with french drain and two sump pumps. North pump always dry; South pump drains clear water at least three times a week, even in winter. This pattern started last summer when landscaping was completed. Homeowner is not seeing any spike in water bills. Potable water for house and non-potable for irrigation. Irrigation is turned off from October to April. Water pressure in home is constant. Closest neighboring property is 1/4 mile away. Homeowner is wanting to know source of water. Suggestions?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Sump Pump Runs Frequently Year Around

"Beyond the scope of a home inspection"
    "I don't know"

Are a couple of answers that spring to mind.

For my own personal hypothesis, I am thinking an underground spring.
    How close is the septic?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    For my own personal hypothesis, I am thinking an underground spring.
    How close is the septic?
    Those were my thoughts too.

When the builder dug the footings, did he run into problems with water then too?

I would suspect that if it were septic system water you would have mentioned the smell, so I'm thinking it is an underground spring/river. It is possible that that side of the foundation was cut into the water table, which is trying to re-establish itself where it was or even higher.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Daniel Leung Guest

I would suggest the owner run a dye tracer test. You can locate leaking by adding a non-toxic fluorescent tracing dye to the water sources.

For a product, please try to search from internet or Tracing Dyes (Sorry, I don't know is it allow to post any commercial website here.)

Quote Originally Posted by William Zoller View Post
    Rural home is 18 months old with french drain and two sump pumps. North pump always dry; South pump drains clear water at least three times a week, even in winter. This pattern started last summer when landscaping was completed. Homeowner is not seeing any spike in water bills. Potable water for house and non-potable for irrigation. Irrigation is turned off from October to April. Water pressure in home is constant. Closest neighboring property is 1/4 mile away. Homeowner is wanting to know source of water. Suggestions?
    Could be a break in the main water line from being run over by heavy landscaping equipment. That would not showup on the meter.

Herb Scott Guest

Wink Re: Sump Pump Runs Frequently Year Around

William, You must live in the desert. Around here sump pumps can run 3 times an hour. If all the exterior water collection / removal systems are in good shape (Roof, gutters, downspouts, extensions, & GRADE) than your dealing with the water table or ground water. I always tell people "A house is not a boat" You have exterior systems to collect and direct surface water away from the house. And you have interior systems like sump pumps, and sub slab drainage systems to collect ground water and get it out. Sounds like the sump pump is doing just what it is supposed to do. Make sure the sump pump discharge pipe is sufficiently extended away from the house or the water discharging may come back into the basement.
    Take care, Herb Scott

Seller says sump pump is running all the time, but basement is STILL wet...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

William Herman Guest

Exclamation Re: Sump Pump Runs Frequently Year Around

It is possible that there is a natural spring that is seeping and causing the water intake.

R. A. Wilkins Guest

It is possible that when the basement was dug, the excavator cut into a field drainage tile and didn't cap or reroute it around the house. Especially since you stated this was a rural lot. The sump crock that is getting all the water may be on the 'supply' side of the field tile.