Mitchell Meeks Guest

Default "The other side of sales"

I went to a popular fast food restaurant recently and asked for the double hamburger combo. The girl looked at me like I was crazy. She then said we do not have that. You have got be kidding! OK I said. Then I want a double cheeseburger combo without the cheese. She said OK, no problem!

Understand that this is not the first time this has happened to me. Tell us about your experiences with sales people, clerks, etc. We all need a good laugh with the economy like it is right now.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: "The other side of sales"

Thats what my wife says to me all the time.

You have got be kidding!

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Meeks View Post
    I went to a popular fast food restaurant recently and asked for the double hamburger combo. The girl looked at me like I was crazy. She then said we do not have that. You have got be kidding! OK I said. Then I want a double cheeseburger combo without the cheese. She said OK, no problem!

Understand that this is not the first time this has happened to me. Tell us about your experiences with sales people, clerks, etc. We all need a good laugh with the economy like it is right now.
    The tactic you describe is becoming ever more popular. Basically, a way to get a minimum amount of money out of your pocket.

You'll notice in full service restaurants that you can't get a sandwich for under about $9 (at least in my area), while dinners are still 12-13. It's a way for them to either sell more dinners (more sales) or, if you're just going to buy a sandwich, they're going to make a huge % profit on you.

Same thing with drinks.... coffee/soda is now $2 or more in many restaurants. Beer/wine, etc is still roughly the same cost but if you're not going to buy the higher dollar item and contribute to a bunch of sales, they're going to stick it to you for what you do buy. In ways it's like charging admission to the restaurant. You're taking us space.... you pay for it.

My latest annoyance was over the holidays when I realized I didn't have a pan to heat up my smoked turkey in. So, off to Safeway I go. How much? Well, the large foil pans are $8 - buy one, get one 'free' .... Now, what the hell am I going to do with an extra foil roasting pan? Save it for 10 years until I host the family again?

I'm thinking up a similar marketing plan for my HI business.... 2 for 1 Inspections.... $775 dollars. Just call me in 7 years when you buy another house and are ready for your 'free' inspection

Mitchell Meeks Guest

I am not sure. I think it is that some people are just plain stupid and they need to be led everywhere they go. I have even had people work for me that would answer in a similar fashion. What is this world coming to?

Richard Stanley Guest

Bacon and egg taquitos are up to $1.25

Anecdote, recounted to me as true story:

Server behind counter at fast food restaurant experiences failure of the cash register (which automatically calculates change based on the purchase cost and remitted amount),

"Damn.. Well, I'll just have to do it the old-fashioned way".

(Reaches into drawer, for calculator....)

------------

The two latest "ripoffs" I've encountered are both from Verizon wireless.

1) For years my wife and I have used Palm-based phones as organizers, primarily for contacts and scheduling, I have several thousand contacts in mine. If you purchase a model of Verizon smart phone (PDA) which entered service with Verizon after November 14, 2007 you are required to purchase Internet access for the phone - at 29.95 a month for two phones, that would be an extra $720 a year for service neither of us needs or wants. For the next little while we can keep going by purchasing used phones on eBay that were introduced prior to cut off date, but I'm letting my contract with Verizon expire, and after 14 years as a customers they are almost certainly going to lose us.

2) Almost all the current versions of smart phones have internal antennas, unfortunately Verizon service is just marginal enough at my home so that internal antenna phones are unreliable. Verizon's solution is to try and sell me a $250 auxiliary cell access point which I hook up to my high speed Internet. However, any calls made over my Internet connection still count as used minutes against my monthly total. Also, unless I program the access point to prevent this, my neighbors will be able to use the access point is well. Basically, Verizon wants me to pay to build out their substandard infrastructure, and then pay to utilize it over a high-speed Internet connection for which I'm paying separately.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

At Kroger's the other day they had Buy One Get One Free on some crab cakes. I did not want a dozen crab cakes so I just picked up one box and proceeded to the checkout. It scanned at half-price and that was it!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post

2) Almost all the current versions of smart phones have internal antennas, unfortunately Verizon service is just marginal enough at my home so that internal antenna phones are unreliable. Verizon's solution is to try and sell me a $250 auxiliary cell access point which I hook up to my high speed Internet. However, any calls made over my Internet connection still count as used minutes against my monthly total. Also, unless I program the access point to prevent this, my neighbors will be able to use the access point is well. Basically, Verizon wants me to pay to build out their substandard infrastructure, and then pay to utilize it over a high-speed Internet connection for which I'm paying separately.
    fwiw.... T-mobil's solution to the problem of phones working poorly in houses is to have them jump onto your wifi. It's the same deal that the minutes still count but at least you don't have to buy any equipment if you already have a wireless network in your house.

Wilson Hash Guest

Talking Re: "The other side of sales"

Try ordering a half dozen chicken Mcnuggets and see what happens. The girl told me they did not sell them that way. they only sold them by either 6 or 9 pieces.

I used to, as Burger King advertised, "Have it your way."

At that time our youngest daughter was on a vegetarian diet kick so she would want the Whopper with no meat.

Me, being as I was paying for the meat anyway, said:
    "Two Whoppers, one no meat, put that meat in the other Whopper."

They always responded back with: Okay, that's two Whoppers, one no meat and one double meat, right.?

To which I replied: No, if you do it that way you will charge me for a double Whopper, I only want a regular Whopper, and take the meat from the other Whopper with no meat and put in mine.

After much confusion and back and forth it always ended with "Okay, This is what I want: one Whopper no meat, put the meat on the side, okay?" They would say "Okay". Then I would continue "Okay, now I want another Whopper. Got that?" They would say "Okay, got that. One Whopper no meat and one regular Whopper. Anything else?" I would reply "Yes. you have the 'meat on the side', correct?" They say "Correct." I was then end it with "Okay, now, put that meat 'on the side' in the other Whopper." ... the manager would come on and ask what the problem was, I would explain and they would tell their person to "put the meat on the side in the other Whopper, what's so hard about that?" ... ummm ... it's called "thinking about what you are doing".

Our daughter would also laugh at them because they could not figure out that all they had to do was take the meat on the side (which was being paid for) and put it on the other Whopper (where it did not need to get paid for again), it was not in their script (so to speak).

Even though they advertised "Have it your way.", anything out of the ordinary threw them for a loop, they just could not grasp it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mitchell Meeks Guest

that was the thing about the double cheeseburger with no cheese. It was at Burger King and I think about the slogan of "have it your way" every time. I guess they forgot to tell the employees.

The sad thing that is has happened only at Burger King and it has even happened in different towns.

I had a situation with Hardees a few years ago. They decided to call the large cup the medium and they introduced the larger cup as the large. They forgot to change the driveup sign with the new pricing. I ordered the medium drink. When I got to the window they charged me whole lot more. The first time I let it slide. After that it happened again. The guy saw me and rolled his eyes and was probably thinking here we go again. I told him to tell the manager to change the sign and I will asking the question of why he is overcharging me. I finally quit going there. It was kind of funny for a while but then it got old.

The sad thing that is has happened only at Burger King and it has even happened in different towns.
    Not to worry, I've had similar things happen to McDonald's.

My wife does not like cheese, so she orders a Quarter Pounder With Cheese (the only way it comes) without cheese. I have them put the cheese on the side, then have them put that cheese on mine ... invariably the response is "You want a double cheese Quarter Pounder With Cheese?"

I feel like saying "NO YOU IDIOT! *I* WANT YOU TO PUT THE OTHER CHEESE, THE ONE ON THE SIDE, ON MY BURGER!", but instead, they are even worse than Burger King - even the manager does not know to put the 'cheese on the side' in the other burger, so what those idiots do is they put the cheese in a separate Quarter Pounder With Cheese box and give me the cheese that way - what a waste of their money, it would be simpler, and cheaper for them, to simply put the cheese on the other burger, but ... rules are rules are rules and if they put the cheese on the other one it is now "Extra Cheese" - not for me it isn't.

Try ordering a Quarter Pounder with cheese with Big Mac sauce ... yes, it is offered, our daughter worked at a McDonald's for a while, but no one seems to know how to do it ... because it is not "ordinary or typical", and they are not trained to "think".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The other night my friends and I ordered a pizza from Roundtable.

What we wanted was a large ham pizza. The sales person would not accept our coupon. The coupon we had was for a large "Specialty Pizza" which a ham is not.

So we ordered the Hawaiian Delight (ham and pineapple) hold the pineapple.

No problem!

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Having done Pest control at many of these "fast food" restuarants over the years, I eat at home.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    What we wanted was a large ham pizza. The sales person would not accept our coupon. The coupon we had was for a large "Specialty Pizza" which a ham is not.

So we ordered the Hawaiian Delight (ham and pineapple) hold the pineapple.

No problem!

Brian,

Did you have to suggest that, or did the sales person come up with that?

I'm going to guess that you came up with that and the sales person had a blank stare until it was explained to him/her ... am I right or wrong?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Zborowski Guest

A few years ago, not long before my mother died, she asked me to go to the Golden Arches and get her a hamburger with only tomato on it. So I ordered a hamburger plain with tomato. I get to her house and open the package only to find a clear plastic burger box containing: 1-hamburger, 1- piece of lettuce, 1-tomato, 2-slices of pickle, 1-packet of catsup...................................and no bun. I took it back and asked if they sell hamburgers as a kit, they didn't understand what the problem was.

Richard Stanley Guest

A friend of mine and I go to TGIF sometimes. They do not have hamburgers on the menu. He orders cheeseburgers and tells them to hold the cheese.

Have your tried the new hot sauce at Taco Bell?

Or have you seen the Michelin Baby kid eating at Mc D's.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Jack Nicholson in 5 Easy Pieces said it best.

I can not eat sesame seeds, so I am forever having to deal with places that put them on food, or buns of sandwiches. Some places have plain buns, some use bottom buns only, some just don't understand.

We have a favorite sushi place. We always tell them as soon as we are seated about the seeds, and remind them every three minutes. We almost always will get an order that has seeds. They go and make another, but leave the "bad" order on the table for free. My wife and daughter love it.

I once ordered enchiladas at a mexican restaurant and it came with sesame seeds in the sauce. WTF???? Enchilada's??? WTF??

I agree with Jack Feldman regarding the great classic movie "5 Easy Pieces" with Jack Nicholson and that famous scene in the burger joint:::

A scene from the movie "Five Easy Pieces" with Jack Nicholson as Dupea:

Dupea: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup of coffee, and wheat toast.

Waitress: No substitutions.

Dupea: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?

Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have a number two - a plain omelette. It comes with cottage fries and rolls.

Dupea: Yeah, I know what it comes with. But it's not what I want.

Waitress: Well, I'll come back when you make up your mind.

Dupea: Wait a minute. I have made up my mind. I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes on the plate, a cup of coffee, and a side order of wheat toast.

Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast...an English muffin or a coffee roll.

Dupea: What do you mean you don't make side orders of toast? You make sandwiches, don't you?

Waitress: Would you like to talk to the manager?

Dupea: ...You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?

Waitress: I don't make the rules.

Dupea: OK, I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like an omelette, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Waitress: A number two, chicken sal san, hold the butter, the lettuce and the mayonnaise. And a cup of coffee. Anything else?

Dupea: Yeah. Now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.

Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?

Dupea: I want you to hold it between your knees.

Waitress: Do you see that sign, sir? Yes, you'll all have to leave. I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm.

Dupea: You see this sign? [He sweeps all the water glasses and menus off the table]

This is, perhaps, one of the most memorable cinematic scenes in movie history. Partly because of the great dialogue, but mostly because of Jack Nicholson's delivery. Anyone old enough to have witnessed that scene...has it etched in their mind.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Chuck Weaver Guest

My wife eats few carbs. She orders an egg McMuffin w/o the muffin. The first time it was like "You want and egg McMuffin with no muffin?" Just another crazy customer. Now they have gotten to know her and consider it a normal order.

Talk about profit. Now this may be normal where some of you guys are from but not in a small southern town. An upper end restaurant (no really, I don't mean Red Lobster) was one of our favorite places because we could order nicely prepared food we couldn't get anywhere else in town. Everything was fine untill I read over our check one night and notice we had been charged $1.00 per drink for "rocks". Despite the good food they are no longer in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Weaver View Post
    My wife eats few carbs. She orders an egg McMuffin w/o the muffin. The first time it was like "You want and egg McMuffin with no muffin?" Just another crazy customer. Now they have gotten to know her and consider it a normal order.

Talk about profit. Now this may be normal where some of you guys are from but not in a small southern town. An upper end restaurant (no really, I don't mean Red Lobster) was one of our favorite places because we could order nicely prepared food we couldn't get anywhere else in town. Everything was fine untill I read over our check one night and notice we had been charged $1.00 per drink for "rocks". Despite the good food they are no longer in business.
    A 'rocks' pour in a lot of restaurants, especially high end ones, if typically a larger pour. I worked the restaurant business for years when I was younger and a lot the bar stuff doesn't make sense but is kind of traditional.

It's a catch 22 for the servers/bartenders to try and explain it. Some people are insulted that you think they'd care while others are angry that they weren't told.

Overall, I agree with you and think it's dumb. For what they charge for drinks it's crazy how little they give you. In most restaurants the food cost runs somewhere around 30%, bar cost is around 15-20%

Brian Thomas Guest

I think you mentioned in another post that this happened at a burger king but the exact same scenario happened to me at mickey D's. I tried to order a double hamburger combo but they were not available until I asked for the double cheeseburger meal with no cheese.

Clyde Torvik Guest

I was at a Mickey D'S and my order came to ~$6.00. I paid with a ten and was given $14.00 in change. I said "this isn't right" the teen at the counter then reached back into the register and took out a couple more singles and handed them to me while looking at me wondering if this was correct now or should she reach back in and give me some more. I explained the error to her (or at least I tried to) I hope she's back on fries.

Jack Ahern Guest

Cool Re: "The other side of sales"

I drove back from IW. Some of the gas stations would not recognize my card "at the pump". I had to come into the store TWICE to get my fill of gas.
    Slick way of getting me into the "candy/nut kill zone" Ha!! got big bags at Publix. Most of the gas stations in the Boston area take cash only?