Clint White Guest

Default What the heck is that thang???

I felt like a real pro today Does anyone know what the blue mystery pex line to nowhere might possibly be. I went high and I went low and couldn't find where this thing went. The garage is on the other side of this thing, but I I didn't find it there either????

Any help redeeming myself would be appriciated

Clint

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: What the heck is that thang???

AC condensate? Do they have AC there? TPR valve drain or boiler RV drain? Water Softener purge line? These are the only easy ones that come to mind.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Clint White Guest

A/C condensate, TPR, all have a common drain. There is no softener installed, but there is a "loop" present. It is possible that it is a softener purge.

Whatever it is from (Jim made some good guesses) it is in wrong.

That's why the prong supports are spreading apart. That is required to have a minimum air gap, probably at least 1-1/2", and if that PEX were pulled back up where it should be (hitting the bottom of the lip on the retaining prongs), then you would not only not have the retaining prongs spread out like that, but you would also have the proper air gap too.

In fact, it looks like that was cut out with a hack saw to allow a larger than designed pipe to fit in there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Borrowing thread, so I don't have to start a new one...

... This sure looks to me like a floor access cover for drum trap or similar fixture, and not at all like a legitimate cleanout, but I just wanted to ask to be sure...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Michael,

That looks like a clean out cover, they are attached by that center screw to the clean out. usually into plastic clean out plugs with the screw going all the way through.

There's no direction to that fitting, it does not look like a proper drain fitting because it lack direction of flow.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

clint
    is there a furnace in attic there????
    charlie

Clint,
    The plumbing final inspection sticker and green tag is on the box, I would contact the city with the permit number and talk to the inspector to see why they thought this was OK. Your client is going to move in the home and won't be able to hook up their washing machine drain hose unless the cover to the left of that one has a drain pipe under it also which doesn't appear to be the case, so you probably haven't heard the last of this one. Going the extra effort in these situations can really pay off. Let us know what you find out.

R. A. Wilkins Guest

Clint,

I would say its a condensate line, the drain line from a safety pan for a washing maching or water heater, the discharge from a water softener or the discharge from a reverse osmosis system / conditioning system. It does look like it is a device or drain that requires an 'air gap' since the bracket holds it above the standpipe, instead of an 'air break' where it would be inserted down into the standpipe.

Last edited by R. A. Wilkins; 03-10-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added thought

Clint White Guest

Talking Re: What the heck is that thang??? Answers :)

And the winner is......

The blue PEX line is indeed the discharge line for the water softener , which has not yet been installed. The other end is located out in the garage, behind the water heater, protruding from the wall, but painted white to match the wall. The required air gap was easily rectified by forcing the excess pipe back up into the wall and properly seating the open end in the "seat". There is a knock out directly to the left (see pic at top of this post) that leads to a 'Y" or common drain. The clothes washing machine drain fits nicely.

Thanks for all your input, you guys are great...

Clint