Question Heat Pump Question

The outdoor heat pump unit was not running and would not respond. Outside temperatures were 26 degrees. The unit was heating the home with the air handler heat strips only. The thermostat was in standard heating mode not aux. heat). I know that there are many different ways to set up heat pumps such as with or without separate outdoor thermostats etc.
    I am thinking that it may be set up this way for lower temperatures. Just wondering if I should refer it to an HVAC contractor.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Heat Pump Question

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    The outdoor heat pump unit was not running and would not respond. Outside temperatures were 26 degrees. The unit was heating the home with the air handler heat strips only. The thermostat was in standard heating mode not aux. heat). I know that there are many different ways to set up heat pumps such as with or without separate outdoor thermostats etc.
    I am thinking that it may be set up this way for lower temperatures. Just wondering if I should refer it to an HVAC contractor.

Hey Trent. I look at these system and see that a lot of the HI get that bad news call from the new owner over HVAC units. Its been my things to look and see if there are a service tag on the unit and what the MFG. info requires for service. Most of these unit have had no service from day one. So I call for service on just about every unit i inspect due to the lack of standard service. I can find something wrong with just about every unit I inspect. C.Y.A. Trent

Best

Ron

It's broke if the outside unit is not running in regular heat mode.

If the unit can not keep up due to temperature or user settings it will still run at the same time as the electric strips.

The only special thermostat settings I have heard about keep the electric strips off as desired and also can keep the cooling mode off if colder than 55 outside (Bryant/Carrier) but no hidden or user settings keep the compressor off in regular heat mode. Aux/Emerg mode is the only thing that would normally do that.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    if you call it out as in need of repair you may be paying for an unneeded service call.

I've never yet seen an "unneeded" service call.

It's all in how you write it up.

Blah, blah, blah, including blah, blah, blah, have repaired or replaced as necessary blah, blah, blah.

Surely ... there was more than just 'that one thing' which "needed service", right?

Thus the service call was "needed" and I'm not paying for it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ben Go Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I think your outdoor heat pump needs some heat pump setting... try to read more here about heat pump.. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ZiBIp2qzsPauSw ... hope this help you a little guys...

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Hey Trent. I look at these system and see that a lot of the HI get that bad news call from the new owner over HVAC units. Its been my things to look and see if there are a service tag on the unit and what the MFG. info requires for service. Most of these unit have had no service from day one. So I call for service on just about every unit i inspect due to the lack of standard service. I can find something wrong with just about every unit I inspect. C.Y.A. Trent

Best

Ron
    What Ron said. Most of the time, I too don't need to look very hard to find something to call out on any HVAC system.

I have yet to have anybody call me back and ask me to pay for a service call that I recommended based on my inspection findings. I figure this is because one of two things: I'm right OR the buyers just ignored my recommendation and took a credit from the sellers instead .

Trent,

I think your initial reasoning is correct. The heat pump cannot take enough heat out of the air to remain efficient. Thus the electric resistance kicks in to make up for the deficit.