Default What type of water piping is this?

I ran across this pipe with which I am not familiar. The pipe material appeared semi-translucent. There were no markings present. It did not seem to be PEX or CPVC. It could be seen only at the water heater at the cold and hot lines, as well as the circulating line. There was a brass elbow fitting visible near the circulating pump. The elbow was quite abrupt--a very small radius turn. It had rings around the connections to the pipe, but they didn't seem to be crimp connections. Does anyone know what this is and if it is approved for water piping use?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What type of water piping is this?

It looks like it may be one of the types of PEX with connections which are expanded and contracted back down over the fitting, not enough of the pipe in the photo to know for sure or not.

Most PEX installation use metal crimp rings, there are one (or more?) other system(s) out there for connecting PEX to the fittings.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Go here: Uponor - For Professionals

Scroll down to 'Plumbing Submittals', then down to, and click on, 'ProPEX Fittings', then click on the link to the right of '2 inch Wirsbo AQUAPEX Expansion Joint Kit' ---- http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Technical%20Documents/Specifications%20and%20Submittals/Plumbing/AQUAPEX%20Tubing/2%20inch%20Wirsbo%20AQUAPEX%20Expansion%20Joint%20 Kit.aspx?sc_lang=en

That's the stuff I'm thinking it is, and it looks real close to your photo too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    I believe you are right--that certainly looks like it. And they do offer brass fittings. I had not seen that type of PEX product before.

Thanks again. I appreciate the quick reply!

James Foy Guest

Looks like PEX. Wirsbo (which just changed their name) has fittings that use a special tool to expand them at connections, which then contract to give a water-tight connection.

That is a Wirsob (now Uponor) fitting.

Now, did anyone get a second set of pictures when they closed out the picture from Tim? I got a little set of photos of scantly clad and unclad young ladies when I closed out the picture. I might have clicked on the top banner, anyway be careful with those free photo albums.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com