Ted Menelly Guest

Default Up hill swimming pool

Crawl Space Creeper

Fred Warner Guest

Default Re: Up hill swimming pool

Aaahhh, home to 1.2 trillion microrganisms..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Yeah think this might need a little something,
    Some Cat Fish Would be Nice.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

The pool rose up out of the ground over 8 inches on one end. The seller told the buyers "The pool works great, I will have it up and running in a couple weeks.

You should have seen the house

My other thread with the metal handle sticking out of the open meter box connecting the power. I had to call the power company before someone died.

Daniel Leung Guest

I saw a "evergreen" swimming pool too.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Seeing those green swimming pools reminds me of a time when I was a wee tyke in Cincinnati and a kid (maybe 8 or 10 or so) disappeared from a neighborhood outside the city. They looked for him for MONTHS. The family had an above ground pool in the backyard (lots of those in the Cincy area). Firemen in waders stomped around the pool for hours. It was winter and the water was dark green. The first thought had been the kid slipped into the pool. But the firemen turned up nothing.

Months go by, and spring comes. The mother is in the kitchen and looks out the back window, and the kids hat floats to the top of the pool. When they opened the side and drained it, he'd been in there all along. The authorities guessed that when the firemen were wading around they were just pushing the body away and that was why they didn't step on him.

It was tragic, and although I know pool covers don't cure the most curious of children, that and a good fence are a start. But green pools have always creeped me out (as do greed lakes).

Ted Menelly Guest

Actually everyone has seen the green in the pool and not looked at the waterline and one end of the pool and then the other. Yes it is green but the subject was how it has raised out of the ground by over 8 inches on when end,

Take a look at the 2 pics and you will see what I mean. The water line distance from the tile line. There has been a pipe run out of the skimmer down into the water to get low enough to suck water through the pump and filter.

Ted,

That was one thing I always looked for: listing pools.

Near canals and lakes (all over South Florida) it was not uncommon to find the pool listing toward the canal or lake, especially if there was a sea wall present. The sea wall leaks, the soil leaks out into the canal or lake, the soil was the support for the pool, the pool lists (leans) toward the missing soil.

Another cause is not keeping water in the pool and the pool floats upward with hydrostatic pressure in the ground.

I've seen them remove the deck, cut the pool off so it was level, cut out where the skimmer needs to go, install new tile and re-finish the pool ... less expensive than ripping it all out and doing it all over again, but, in my opinion, it leaves some risk of strain and potential for breakage on the water pipes to the main drain (one main drain was abandoned for that reason and a drain installed in the side of the pool) and strain and breakage of the return piping to the pool.

To me, break it up and replace it, but it is not my call.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ted,

That was one thing I always looked for: listing pools.

Near canals and lakes (all over South Florida) it was not uncommon to find the pool listing toward the canal or lake, especially if there was a sea wall present. The sea wall leaks, the soil leaks out into the canal or lake, the soil was the support for the pool, the pool lists (leans) toward the missing soil.

Another cause is not keeping water in the pool and the pool floats upward with hydrostatic pressure in the ground.

I've seen them remove the deck, cut the pool off so it was level, cut out where the skimmer needs to go, install new tile and re-finish the pool ... less expensive than ripping it all out and doing it all over again, but, in my opinion, it leaves some risk of strain and potential for breakage on the water pipes to the main drain (one main drain was abandoned for that reason and a drain installed in the side of the pool) and strain and breakage of the return piping to the pool.

To me, break it up and replace it, but it is not my call.

Yeah

No saving this one. Cracks throughout the entire pool and not finish cracks. Cracks (probably a dozen) through the concrete. The home seller says to the buyers "The pool works great. I will have it up and running in a week."

If you want your classic stealing electricity pic look at my thread on Meter????? The buyers agent says after talking with him to just put all those concerns on the summary page.. I told him "You don't understand. I highlight all concerns in red. All of the report is red. The report is the summary" I had to call the electric company before someone grabbed the metal handle sticking out of the meter box and die.