Default Wood Fireplace - Unvented Gas insert

I did inspection on a real dandy home today.... The original wood burning fireplace chimney chimney/flue has been discontinued. (I think this was due to the fire they must have had , revealed to me only when I got into the attic and the sheathing board and trusses were black from the smoke/soot, but that is a different subject). Anyway, a gas insert was installed into the original wood burning firebox area, but is completely un-vented. I have very limited experience and only have seen less that a hand full of un-vented gas units.... I included a couple pictures and wanted to get some opinions? Thanks!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...A090226048.jpg
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...A090226049.jpg
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...A090226046.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Andrew Kolar; 02-26-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Forgot picture links
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Wood Fireplace - Unvented Gas insert

Andrew,

Your 2nd photo shows the Manufactures Plate warning to read the Installation Instructions.

The Make & Model number and a quick check of their Web Site would tell you if this gas appliance was installed [er the instructions.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Yes... The best info I got of the plate was SIT 820 NOVA mV and model #0820637. Just handn't gotten around to trying to find any info on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kolar View Post
    The original wood burning fireplace chimney chimney/flue has been discontinued. (I think this was due to the fire they must have had , revealed to me only when I got into the attic and the sheathing board and trusses were black from the smoke/soot, but that is a different subject).

I'm guessing that the fire damaged the chimney, or maybe the chimney was the source of the fire, either way the fireplace itself most likely has been affected and may likely be considered as no longer serviceable by the manufacturer.

That means not even installing a vented gas log set, much less an unvented gas log set. Unvented gas logs heat up the firebox hotter than vented ones do as the vent allows much of the heat to escape up the chimney/vent.

I suspect that will end up with recommendation for removal and replacement.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Actually that looks like the info for the gas valve. I couldn't find any other info, numbers or plates...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kolar View Post
    Actually that looks like the info for the gas valve. I couldn't find any other info, numbers or plates...
    Safety hazard :

Unable to determine if the gas logs were properly installed as a vent less gas appliance and recommend removal by a licensed & competent professional.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-26-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: recommend
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Exclamation Re: Wood Fireplace - Unvented Gas insert

Wow! Lots of problems here but so little info.

Where is the rating plate for the fireplace itself? That will determine if VF logs are approved for this unit. If it doesn't state so but the mfg date code is prior to April 1999, then the logs must be removed because the test for VF had not been adopted yet.
    Since there was an incident or unfriendly fire, there should be a level II or Possibly a Level III inspection prior to the use of these logs.
    The gas line is not properly sealed at the knockout because they appear to have bored a separate hole instead of using the knockout provided. Note the soot stains drawing towards the k/o in the third pic.
    Where are the refractory panels? Does this unit get them or are they missing?
    I'll bet that key valve gets hot!
    Combustible sidewall too close. See mfrs. listed instructions
    Hearth extension questionable. Is this on a RC slab or combustible floor?
    Grout gap at hearth extension
    What is that facing material and is it properly grouted to the face of the fireplace? It appears heat has been entraining behind it into the chase.
    If pipe in attic damaged, still may not be able to use as VF. The entire chimney must be installed and in working order as a woodburner in order to install VF.
    Yes, that rating plate stuck in the burner will identify the VF mfr., model, serial#, fuel, etc.
    Yes, that is a SIT NOVA 820 plus VF combination gas control.
    Check listed instructions on clearance to facing.
    Check room size for sufficient volume and ventilation rate
    Install low level CO monitors.

Several signs that fire may have been caused by this VF logset. Note: an "insert" is a box/ stove you shove or 'insert' into an existing fireplace.

How's that for starters?
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.