Default Specific prohibuition against cord throgh wall

400.8 USES NOT PERMITTED. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:... (5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings.

Does anyone have a white book or other clarification which can be used in response to the argument that: "the intent of that code is to prevent people from running those cords vertically or horizontally IN walls, concealed. Going directly through the wall...Albeit sloppy...is not a violation" ?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Specific prohibuition against cord throgh wall

Answering my own question:

400.8(2) uses not permitted.... (2) Run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspender/dropped ceilings, or floors.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Specific prohibition against cord through wall

Here.

From the 2008 NEC. (underlining, bold and red text are mine)
    - 400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
    - - Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
    - - - (1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
    - - - (2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
    - - - (3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
    - - - (4) Where attached to building surfaces
    - - - - Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of 368.56(B)
    - - - (5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings
    - - - (6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code
    - - - (7) Where subject to physical damage

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-27-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Dang, I was typing when you answered your question. :-)
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Specific prohibuition against cord throgh wall

Michael, this is funny for me.
    I just wrote this 2 weeks ago on an HI. 15' cord plugged into receptacle in basement 'cellar' room running along wall, through doorway, to a surge strip, to another 15' cord running through joist cavity, up into wall cavity, coming out of living room floor hole, into wicker basket, filled with another surge strip and gobble of wires, all feeding the living room TV, dvd, stereo, etc.
    Client was impressed and horrified. Realtor was just horrified.
    Michael, sorry I haven't called back about lunch. Had to put my old man in the hospital. It's been 8 days of stress and driving. Maybe next week?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"