Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Don't Mind Not Working Today

The wind is blowing the stuff sideways here.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Don't Mind Not Working Today

I thought I'd get an early start on shoveling, but it just fills back in. Kids with shovels and dollar signs in their eyes are roaming the neighborhood.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

The last snow we got before this, some school-aged kid knocked on our door at 9pm on a school night asking if we would like him to shovel our sidewalk. There was so little snow cover out there at the time you could have cleaned the walkway with a hair dryer. And what was he doing out at 9pm on a school night?

He might have had bad grades but I couldn't question his work ethic.

One of the many benefits of living in the South is that when it snows, it is gone in a day or two.

Saturday night we had the storm that y'all are getting blow through my area and it dumped 6" of snow in my yard, with some locations a few miles south getting over a foot. Today it can only be seen in the shadows. Lasted long enough to make some snowballs and sled down the hill.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    One of the many benefits of living in the South is that when it snows, it is gone in a day or two.
    Scott,

You're not "in the South" ... "in the South" it does not snow enough to even cover the ground.

You are halfway "up North".

Attached is the kind of snow I grew up in.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Peck; 03-02-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added photo
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Say Nick you did not even go out side to take this photo.

We came out to Calif. when I was a kid from Ohio/West Virginia I do think back to how cold it would get.

Thanks for the photo Nick. Stay warm...

Best

Ron

Jeff Remas Guest

I called todays AM client last night to give them an option to cancel but of course they did not want and I wish I had just cancelled it myself.

Roads were terrible, it was 8F with 20-30mph winds and I was dumb enough to get on a roof with my plastic shovel. That did not last long at all. Got to the peak of the gable and turned around quickly while sliding on the snow.

Horrible day to be out of the house.

MaMa Mount Guest

Jeff, your comment about climbing out onto a roof with snow on it has to be about the silliest thing I can see an inspector doing. Do people in your area don't have a clue that the roof is maybe not visible when there is snow all over it. Do they really expect you to drag some childs shovel up there and attempt to remove snow to maybe find something wrong with the roof? You must not have a family or you wouldn't put your life at such a risk doing something as such.

Some dollars aren't just worth the risk to earn to have to be a fool as such.

Jeff, did you lose a bet or something?

I've heard some inspectors say they will shovel snow off the roof in an attempt to inspect it but I just don't get it. Aside from being dangerous, the chances of the area you shovel being representative of the overall condition of the roof are slim. My feet are staying on the ground and the ladder on the car when the white stuff coats everything. I just tell my clients I'll come back to look at the roof when the snow clears.

Jeff Remas Guest

This is a business decision that we all have to make. Of course I don't go on every roof but do get on many based on the situation.

In this case, it was a one story cottage that had a low pitched roof on the front porch which gave me a safer route to the main roof which was about a 6/12 pitch but easy to navigate. The wind was ultimately the issue.

Shoveling part or parts of the roof gives you an idea of the situation but does not tell you the whole story. Like everyone else, I have to state that the inspection was limited and there is always an option to have me come back when the snow has melted for a fee.

I have been able to positively find bad roofs due to this but I never found one I could say was 100% good because we are limited in viewing.

I did roofing when I was in the construction business and had to shovel off roofs in the winter in order to replace them or repair them so I am no stranger. Safety is the highest priority for my and I know my capabilities and the risks. Believe me there are plenty of snow covered roofs that I did not inspect. In this case, however, it was a low roof with a flat pitch that allowed me to do the inspection.

Just the mere fact that I am willing to go the extra mile is probably the reason some of you were home and i was booked with inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Remas View Post
    Just the mere fact that I am willing to go the extra mile is probably the reason some of you were home and i was booked with inspections.
    Well it's gotta be something because with pompous statements like this, it ain't your warm and bubbly personality.

I hate to say it but I agree with the ugly red head on this one.

Exactly how through of an inspection can one do on a roof covered with snow? Shoveling off a few areas to say you looked at the roof (even though limited) gives a false representation to the client that the roof may be ok if you didn't find something.

Rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I hate to say it but I agree with the ugly red head on this one.

Exactly how through of an inspection can one do on a roof covered with snow? Shoveling off a few areas to say you looked at the roof (even though limited) gives a false representation to the client that the roof may be ok if you didn't find something.

Rick

The ugly red head?????? Now thats funny!