Steve Miskinis Guest

Default asbestos shingles

Hi all, been reading for a while, but need to ask a question after inspection today. This home was built in 1958 and I believe the shingles to be asbestos, how do you judge the age of these and what is the normal lifespan?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: asbestos shingles

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miskinis View Post
    Hi all, been reading for a while, but need to ask a question after inspection today. This home was built in 1958 and I believe the shingles to be asbestos, how do you judge the age of these and what is the normal lifespan?
    Any pictures?

If they are original and it is very possible, I would say that after 50 years that they have given about all they have to give. Most likely the fasteners will give way before the shingles will deteriorate not to mention that the underlayment most likely started to fall apart 20+ years ago.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steve Miskinis Guest

yes have pics but cant figure out how to post them on here, tells me the file is to big. The majority of the roof is covered in an orange mold like substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miskinis View Post

yes have pics but cant figure out how to post them on here, tells me the file is to big. The majority of the roof is covered in an orange mold like substance.
    Steve,

I use Bomes Image resizer ( free down load ) and check the properties ( under 193k ) if the picture file is larger I just reduce them again in bomes.

This is also great to include photos in your email report as it reduces the sent file size ( saved me a lot of problems.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I use irfanview, also free.

www.irfanview.us

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Steve Miskinis Guest

here is pic. Thanks for the info on resizing

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Found this photo on asbestos shingles using a quick search.
    * has mold growth on shingles.

Also found wood grain examples.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.