william siegel Guest

Default Concrete tile shingle screw

Does anyone know why this would be done? These screws were only put at the end of the ridge lines. I have never seen this before.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Concrete tile shingle screw

Yes, newer house, right? Meaning within the last 7 years or so. I think that started around 2000 or 2001, maybe even 2002.

That has one of those sheet metal hip ridge attachment strips down under it, there will be a screw just like that under each tile (except that you do not see them, or at least should not be able to see them).

Unless that exposed screw is stainless steel it is going to rust out. It also should not be exposed, meaning that it should be covered with something.

That was a debating point, that top tile on a hip or last tile on a ridge ... how to fasten it. Some were screwing all the others down and gluing that one down to avoid the exposed fastener, however, as I recall the code called for 'all' hip and ridge tiles to be secured in that manner, and did not except out the last tile.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jerry,

House was in Gleneagles in Delray Beach. Frame house about 20 years old. Roof was put on after Wilma. There were a few end tiles that did not have the screws in them.

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    There were a few end tiles that did not have the screws in them.

Bill,

That is common with the crews they use, different people doing things differently.

I remember some roofs I saw in Palm Beach Gardens, I think it was anyway, where one crew did the left face of all the homes, another crew did the right face, another the rear face, and yet another the front face. You could stand on any roof and look down the row of houses and see that *ALL* of the left faces were laid the same, and wrong, and that *ALL of the right faces were laid the same (but different from the left faces) and were laid wrong, the same with the rear face and the front face. The only explanation I could come up with was the roofer using crews in that manner, how else could you repeat the same mistakes on every house the same, yet do each face differently?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com