Allan Bankston Guest

Default Gas Fireplace Flue - Kosher or not

I found this on a recent inspection and do not believe this is to code. While I have seen this types gas fireplace flue before I have never seen it installed in this manner. Does anyone have the specific code that addresses this type of installation. My instinct says it has to comply with furnace flue code.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Gas Fireplace Flue - Kosher or not

While this is likely not from the manufacturer of that fireplace, they are almost all the same on clearances, use it with caution as a guide: http://www.fireside.com/downloads/in...s/2118_900.pdf (see chart on page 24)

That is from a recent thread about a similar, but slightly different installation location.

This thread: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ses-attic.html

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: Gas Fireplace Flue - Kosher or not

Jerry, actually that IS a HHT trapezoid DVP termination listed for use with Heat&Glo, Heatilator and Quadrafire. However, you would still need to get the manual for that specific model to know for sure about the clearances. I would treat this installation as a 'porch' under the clearance chart.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Jerry, actually that IS a HHT trapezoid DVP termination listed for use with Heat&Glo, Heatilator and Quadrafire. However, you would still need to get the manual for that specific model to know for sure about the clearances. I would treat this installation as a 'porch' under the clearance chart.
    Bob
    Bob,

Then, presuming that the same clearances applied to that one as shown in the linked installation instructions, then that would be clearance 'M' which is shown as:

M*** 18" under veranda, porch, deck, balcony, or overhang.

*** only permitted if veranda, porch, deck, or balcony is fully open on a minimum of 2 sides beneath the floor, or meets Note 2.

Note 2: Termination in a covered alcove space (spaces open only on one side and with an overhang) are permitted with the dimensions specified for vinyl or non-vinyl siding and soffits. 1. There must be 3 feet minimum between termination caps. 2. All mechanical air intakes within 10 feet of a termination cap must be a minimum of 3 feet below the termination cap. 3. All gravity air intakes within 3 feet of a termination cap must be a minimum of 1 foot below the termination cap.

That 'looks like it might' make 18" to the 'top of the termination' (not 'to the wall mounting flange', correct?).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Allan Bankston Guest

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all that replied.

Jerry, counting bricks, I would guesstimate the clearance at about 23". Yes, you measure from the flue gas outlet--not the rectangular pan flashing. From what I can see, this most probably meets clearance.
    Bob

I counted bricks and came up with about 17-1/2" to 18"???

What sizes are you using for counting the bricks?

I'm using 2-1/4" + 3/8" mortar joint = 2-1/2" high. And using 8" high for the soldiers across the top.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Those mortar joints look pretty fat so I went with 2.75"/ brick and bed joint plus the soldiers plus that ~5" facia board. I still need that calibrated camera thingy. Hopefully the OP recorded this measurement.
    Bob

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Bankston View Post
    I found this on a recent inspection and do not believe this is to code. While I have seen this types gas fireplace flue before I have never seen it installed in this manner. Does anyone have the specific code that addresses this type of installation. My instinct says it has to comply with furnace flue code.
    Allan Bankston,

What does that opening to the left on the same wall lead to? Door? Elevation? Distance? What is to the right? Straight line diagonal (through the air) not horizontal along the wall?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-07-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelled Allan wrong (opps!)