Phillip Joyner, Jr. Guest

Default Exposed Plumbing Line Solution

Does any on have any advice on how to handle an exposed plumbing PVC drain line. The line is currently exposed a few feet off the ground between the septic tank and the foundation wall. Take a look at the picture and let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Exposed Plumbing Line Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Joyner, Jr. View Post
    Does any on have any advice on how to handle an exposed plumbing PVC drain line. The line is currently exposed a few feet off the ground between the septic tank and the foundation wall. Take a look at the picture and let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks
    This goes back to the grading problems in your first post.

It really looks like the septic tank was installed too high. The only logical solution I can see is to have the septic tank removed. Grade the area better and place the tank further away from the home. In short, it is not going to be an easy or inexpensive fix.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Cool Re: Exposed Plumbing Line Solution

put an insulated dog house over it. the pipe needs freeze and damage protection to meet code. who approved that install anyway?

Robert Schenck Guest

I’d have to go along with Scott, but as he mentioned – It’s not going to be a cheap fix. At a minimum, and until they can get it remedied, I’d build some sort of protective barrier over and around it. Maybe some pressure treated wood, painted, with a vent on both sides ? I know that sounds like an Uncle Bubba fix, but to me it’s better than nothing at all.

I can just see some kids walking the pipe, or maybe running around the corner and pushing off from it, ….. And then hear a SNAP !!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Joshua Hardesty Guest

You know it's hard to tell, but that pipe looks like it's going into the tank way too high, maybe even into the "neck of the lid, like they knocked a hole where they shouldn't have. I'd dig it up some to be sure it's going into the tank where it should be. If it is...

A. LOTS of dirt.

B. Dig up the tank, and have it buried deeper.

C. Install a grinder pump, so that the waste line can then be buried deeper, and pumped up into the existing hole in the tank.

James Duffin Guest

I still like my idea. Move the gas pack to the side of the house....waterproof...and backfill over the pipe.

Regardless, NC is below the 32 degree design day and ALL piping outside the thermal envelope of the structure *is required* to be protected from freezing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

M Kelekci Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Regardless, NC is below the 32 degree design day and ALL piping outside the thermal envelope of the structure *is required* to be protected from freezing.

Mr. Peck
    How would you protect the PVC pipe from freezing?
    Does it have to be buried?
    Can it be just insulated with insulation material?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by M Kelekci View Post
    Mr. Peck
    How would you protect the PVC pipe from freezing?
    Does it have to be buried?
    Can it be just insulated with insulation material?

Thanks,
    From the IRC.
    - P2603.6 Freezing.
    In localities having a winter design temperature of 32°F (0°C) or lower as shown in Table R301.2(1) of this code, a water, soil or waste pipe shall not be installed outside of a building, in exterior walls, in attics or crawl spaces, or in any other place subjected to freezing temperature unless adequate provision is made to protect it from freezing by insulation or heat or both. Water service pipe shall be installed not less than 12 inches (305 mm) deep and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) below the frost line.

"by insulation or heat or both"

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Jerry, your quote of the code specifies that water supply, soil and waste pipe need to be protected from freezing, and then states how deep water supply pipe needs to be buried in the earth. Can you expand your quote to include how deep soil and waste pipe needs to be buried to protect it from freezing?

That pipe will not have enough water in it to freeze if the septic tank is draining correctly. Pile up some dirt under it for support and pile some on top to hide the ugly pipe.

No big deal in this part of NC, but of course it has to be reported for an inspection.

Here is some info on how to fix it if freezing is a worry:
    Heating system and method for prevention of septic system freeze-up - US Patent 6869533

Last edited by Bruce King; 07-10-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

There appears to be a Vent behind the pipe, so any backfill should take this into consideration.

........I'm not disputing the IRC. But, there are thousands of homes with crawl spaces at freezing exterior ambient temperature, and DWV lines running to drain without issue. However, I did once see an "old timer" leave a faucet run at a slow pace to prevent freezing during an unusual cold snap, and filled the 3" soil pipe with ice