Post ASHI / NAHI Joint Venture Task Force Memorandum

Joint Venture Task Force Memorandum

.pdf See attachment

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Member Benefits1
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: ASHI / NAHI Joint Venture Task Force Memorandum

Hmmmmm. The "possible unification" verbiage really jumps out in this message. Especially after us
    NAHI members were told when this whole thing bubbled to the surface that a merge of the organizations was simply a rumor. I'm not opposed to a merge but I do appreciate straight answers.

Where there's smoke...........

Nick,

I don't know who you talked to that said it was a rumor.

The Task Force is real and working. I would like to reiterate that a possible unification is just one of many projects we are exploring. So I ask everyone to please have an open mind and don't get hung up on just the unification aspect.

The membership surveys will be released soon and we will be directed by the response from the respective memberships.

Jim Turner

I'm not talking about the task force Jim. I'm talking about the merge/unification verbiage in the release statement. I'm not opposed to a merge if one were to take place. It's just that our chapter was told "that there are NO Merger talks being conducted".

Again, it's not a big deal to me. We were just advised differently when the topic of a merge/unification was first floated out there. Maybe some wires got crossed.

Nick,

Sorry there was any mis-communication. This is just the reason for this release. Thank you for commenting and we appreciate your support!

Jim

I think it is a great idea and one that will strengthen the profession if it should happen.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

I find the wording interesting. "... input regarding a joint education conference, collaboration of our chapters, and a possible unification."

Shouldn't it have been written so it read - input regarding a possible joint education conference, collaboration of our chapters, and unification - since "No outcomes have been reached...."

Unification = Merger

From what I just read and some of the past comments I've have heard from NAHI members around here, it sounds like games are being played and some NAHI members don't know what is really going on.

I think it's a great idea that there are a group of individuals working on it. Kevin's comment reminded me of sitting in Board of Director's meetings and people got hung up on a word, and we spent an hour or more "word-smithing".

I read the notice, and all I took away was there was a group of ASHI and NAHI members that got together to try to come up with a plan - more to follow.

I guess I didn't see the plot to overthrow the world in there.
    JF

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I read the notice, and all I took away was there was a group of ASHI and NAHI members that got together to try to come up with a plan - more to follow.

I guess I didn't see the plot to overthrow the world in there.
    JF
    And yet Nick and a couple of other NAHI members that I have heard from were thinking differently . It sounds like communication is poor (Example: People came up with different reasons for these talks.) or like I wrote before, games are being played and yes, words and how the sentence are formed is part of playing those games.

I think it's a great idea that there are a group of individuals working on it. Kevin's comment reminded me of sitting in Board of Director's meetings and people got hung up on a word, and we spent an hour or more "word-smithing".
    As long as the word being used is the correct one and the point of using that word is not deceiving.

I'm not going to anything more but it will be interesting to see if ASHI absorbs NAHI completely over time or if NAHI will only exist by name only.

The exact verbiage that was used when somebody bubbled the merge rumor up to our chapter heads was "that there are NO Merger talks being conducted". Seems pretty straight forward to me.

If there are/were merger talks, fine. Not a big deal to me. I just like consistent messages. I'm not saying the truth was masked in buzz words and corporate speak but looking at things in hindsight, somebody could come to that conclusion.

As a NAHI member I find it a little frustrating to find out about this stuff on a post before NAHI dotifies me. I am not aganist a merger myself and I think if you asked most of the guys from the chapter I belong to, none of us would object.

Jim,

Why is it that we hear these things on a site rather than from the Directors that we elected? I think some kind of a time line should be put in place to come to a decision. I for one would like to know before I pay all my dues to NAHI to find out that we are now merging or is this something that will be discussed between the committees? Will the dues I have paid to NAHI convert to ASHI should a meger take place? Give us info!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post
    As a NAHI member I find it a little frustrating to find out about this stuff on a post before NAHI dotifies me. I am not aganist a merger myself and I think if you asked most of the guys from the chapter I belong to, none of us would object.

Mike
    I agree Mike. We should hear about this from our organization first. I already know about it now so it really doesn't matter but I still haven't received anything from NAHI national addressing this. Granted, I don't think there is anything else to be said that doesn't already appear in the release statement Brian included at the beginning of this thread. But there are a lot of NAHI members who don't visit this site and are not members of local chapters.

Can any ASHI guys here say they received notice of this from ASHI national before Brian posted it up yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I agree Mike. We should hear about this from our organization first. I already know about it now so it really doesn't matter but I still haven't received anything from NAHI national addressing this. Granted, I don't think there is anything else to be said that doesn't already appear in the release statement Brian included at the beginning of this thread. But there are a lot of NAHI members who don't visit this site and are not members of local chapters.

Can any ASHI guys here say they received notice of this from ASHI national before Brian posted it up yesterday?
    NAHI did send an email letter to their members back in early February, I was even sent a copy from a local inspector who joined NAHI last year when he entered the profession. ASHI, also sent a letter to their members around the same time. The letters pretty much mirrored each other and stated that a task force from each organization was being formed to explore everything that has been talked about.

If you did not get a copy of the email, you might want to check with your prospective organization to make sure that they have your correct email address. Outside of that, I think that I have seen it discussed many times on the various message boards.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I got that one Scott........after the news of the joint venture and rumored merge was first posted here on InspectionNews. But there are differences between that letter and this most recent release statement. Most notably the verbiage in this recent statement about "possible unification" which was not mentioned in the communication NAHI sent about a month ago to all it's members.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I got that one Scott........after the news of the joint venture and rumored merge was first posted here on InspectionNews. But there are differences between that letter and this most recent release statement. Most notably the verbiage in this recent statement about "possible unification" which was not mentioned in the communication NAHI sent about a month ago to all it's members.
    Well, that is true. I just took the recent letter to say that things are progressing to the point that a survey is going to be sent to all of the members in each organization.

I just received the recent letter today via email.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The letter showed up in my e-mail this morning as well.

I just got the e-mail notice of the joint venture. It was time staped at 10:03 A.M.

I just think that the organizations should be letting us know what is up before we hear it at a board like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post
    I just got the e-mail notice of the joint venture. It was time staped at 10:03 A.M.

I just think that the organizations should be letting us know what is up before we hear it at a board like this one.
    I called a friend at ASHI HQ and I found out that the letter was sent to Inspection News and another board at about the same time and then to an email service for delivery over a 48 hour period. My copy had an 11:04am time stamp.

In the grand scheme of things, it is not that big of a deal how or from who you found out about the survey.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, it is not that big of a deal how or from who you found out about the survey.

Scott, I agree.
    But it would be nice if dues paying members were notified prior to any public announcements.

Dom.

Gentlemen,

I apologize for the lapse in time between the release to the public boards and the association members. The logistics of the release were intended to be simultaneous, however as I am sure you can appreciate, an undertaking such as this between two major organizations is not without a couple hiccups.

Right now the task force is working on the survey questions which will be given to a professional survey coordinator to distribute to the respective memberships of ASHI and NAHI.

Please consider that...we are going to the members for their opinions and they will decide our next course of action.

Once the survey is completed, the task force will commence work on the symantics of any projects we decide to pursue based on the survey results.

I think you will have to agree that this is a positive move to work together and will help strengthen our proffession!

Respectfully,

Jim Turner

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I will be looking forward to the survey.