George Potter Guest

Default What's This Thing?

I know I'm going to be feeling a little silly as soon as someone tells me the answer, but I'm stymied. I saw this the other day attached to the duct in a new home. It appears to be some sort of counterweight, and if it is, its purpose escapes me. The "puck" slides along the rod and looks like it should be able to be locked into position anywhere along the rod. In this case, it was just loose, sitting at the bottom. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What's This Thing?

It's a static pressure-air flow damper assembly with a counter weight.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Yes, the weight should have been adjusted by the installer and locked in place, but I doubt it would make a difference in that position if it works.
    This was on a zoned system with two or more damper motors, right?
    The standard use around here is on two story house supply ducts. The unit you are seeing would be installed in a bypass duct from the supply side to the return. This allows the full air flow through the system without throttling the ducts down and causing excess air flow through the one zone that is calling.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Scott Mitchell Guest

Erby & Jim have it right. This is basically an inexpensive way to control hvac flow to typically a two story home. Most don't operate very efficently or for long.

I bet their are two thermosts, but only one hvac unit.

#1 It's in the attic duct work, # 2 Out of sight, out of mind. # 3 Nobody but the inspector even knows it's there or how to check it's operation. # 4 It will never be serviced or checked for proper operation. # 5 Most Hvac service tech's won't have a clue what is does or even find it.

Scott Mitchell

Paul Johnston Guest

How would the system work with 2 thermostats and one unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    Most don't operate very efficiently or for long...#1 It's in the attic duct work, # 2 Out of sight, out of mind.
    I can't check then for "efficiency" but I always check them for "operation", and a I now report them when I see them, and note that their inspection should be part of normal yearly HVAC maintenance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-06-2009 at 06:34 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnston View Post
    How would the system work with 2 thermostats and one unit?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

George Potter Guest

Man-oh-man! Inspection News guys are the best! Thanks for all the insight.