Eric Shuman Guest

Default No slope to floor drain, 2nd story.

This was a warranty inspection on a one year old home. The laundry room is upstairs and this drain was installed in the center of the laundry room floor. Too bad the floor is not sloped towards the drain or it might (or might not) do a bit of good if the washing machine leaked. As it is now, it appears to be worthless because the floor is nice and level.

I didn't find out until a couple of weeks later why this was done instead of a pan and drain (see photo). The client said that the drain pan the builder provided would not fit his standard sized machine (I guess due to the size of the room). Evidently the builder does not think this will be a problem.

Does any one know of a requirement for sloping of floor to drains or other requirement that might apply here?

I have searched pretty extensively and cannot find a requirement (other than common sense!).

Thanks,

Eric

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

imported_John Smith Guest

Default Re: No slope to floor drain, 2nd story.

Eric, I think the requirement is common sense. I know you are looking for something from the IRC, but that drain is pretty much worthless if the water doesnt move towards it. Personally I would write it up that way. If there was ever any water on the floor, it is going for the path of least resistance (probably not the drain if what you are showing is like you say it is).

Eric Shuman Guest

Default Re: No slope to floor drain, 2nd story.

John,

Yeah, that's how I wrote it up. There was no intentional slope to the drain and really no unintentional slope either. I told my client that common sense dictates that this is a worthless drain regardless of whether there ar any specific building regulations and that if the builder will not correct it then the client should himself just to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Eric